main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Clone Wars or The Genndy Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by arctrooper84, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Even though I've been dissapointed at times with the storylines of TCW, I don't even think it's close for me. I definitely prefer the realism of TCW compared to the "over-the-top" Gennedy series.

TCW has a chance to be to be more significant. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Gennedy series. Just like I kind of enjoyed The Force Unleashed. But I don't accept either of those as "Jedi Light's version of The Star Wars Story".

I have no children yet. I relish the moment of reliving the saga through their eyes and letting the "Star War Story" unfold in front of them. Right now, I'd show them all six episodes. That's it.

If TCW is handled the right way, I'll space out several weeks between II and III and show my children the stuff that happens between the movies. But the verdict is still very much out.

Gennedy Series would be something I'd show my children after they see the movies.

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Have you guys watched the Genndy series recently?

I tried to watch it a few weeks ago, and I just couldn't get through it, now that I've seen each chapter several times.

The Season 2 stuff holds up a lot better, but I'm really used to the TCW style of animation now.

Dooku fighting? When has he fought in TCW other than in the film against Anakin?

3. Fettclone1

Fettclone1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 4, 2006
    How does it make sense that you're used to a certain kind of style now?

Are you going to go back and watch the movies and say "Nah, too real and not angular enough"?

I don't understand why people feel it should be one or the other with the Clone Wars. They don't really negate each other or anything.

Personally, I've watched the ARC trooper scene from CW many times and it's never gotten old. The second part doesn't work for me because Grievous is so different leading into Ep III.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Well, they're both animated series about the exact same characters. And IMHO, Genndy's series loses out to the great animation TCW is giving us, in terms of what I want to watch now. I just think the long-term "rewatchability" of Genndy's series generally isn't there. I enjoyed it for what it is, but I doubt I will be sticking the DVD in more than once every few years.

With respect to the movies, I still divide them into the PT and OT, and while I think some of what Lucas et al accomplished in the PT is fantastic, I like the look of the OT better.

5. Fettclone1

Aug 4, 2006
    Strictly untrue.

Clone Wars didn't have:

-Jar Jar

-Ahsoka :rolleyes:

-A different Anakin

What it did have were ARC troopers, Qui-Gon and other forms of awesome.

There's hope for you yet.

6. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    I've watched the Genndy series recently. I'm still surprised by the bombastic nature of the action, though in a good way. Mace gets the top spot, though I get the impression that the lancer droids scraping the artillery with their lances shouldn't have made them explode. Bombs, yes, but not lances. [face_laugh]

Well, the Genndy series was awesome for having great action and unique visuals, but it wasn't really a long term solution. That's why they felt the freedom to go all out, methinks. And even though I love it (and ARC troopers), I think that The Clone Wars is both better in the long run as well as for being closer to a 'grounded' Star Wars feel (though that is up for debate when you have Dooku captured and Anakin skydiving without a chute. :p).

It's got a good mix of atmosphere (which is good), action (which is great), heart (how much depend on your tastes) as well as humour (though some people have a low tolerance for this, unlike me...XD). The Genndy Series was too short to be fairly judged (whether you're saying 'it was just five minutes get over it' or 'it was perfectly encapsulated moments that were nerdgasmic'), though it had some exotic locales, over the top action, and the occasional bit of dialogue and humour. It was certainly high quality, and that I do not dispute.

Overall, I really like both and they work as what they are, but I'm going with The Clone Wars. I'm still wishing we'd throw in ARC troopers in there, or even lancer droids. THOSE would be impressive. I've often imagined giving some of the named Clone Commanders an ARC's souped up rifle. :D

7. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Genndy, definitely. Ahsoka and Grievous alone make TCW more riculous than CW.

8. JediLight

May 31, 2001
    Kind of like Mace taking 1000 Super Battle Droids without a lightsaber.

Genndy series was just too unrealistic to hold any relevance.

9. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Exactly, Gennedy was too unrealistic. TCW has flaws, and Ahsoka can be annoying, but TCW is way better the CW, IMO.

10. MvG-88

MvG-88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008

Also this new one has Admiral Yularen, Captain Rex, Onaconda Farr, Hondo and proper Kit Fisto, Aayla Secura and Plo Koon. :p

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    But... the old series had San Hill though! And kickass Grievous!

12. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    This topic needs a poll. Did we have one? I'm not sure.

13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Yeah but the master apprentice Dooku getting captured? Then working hand in hand with two of the jedi that wanted to capture him the most? Dooku falling and not being able to ....forget it. This series is ridiculous in many areas. Some of the action is good, but damn, the first two episodes of the year were bad in my opinion. This last one was not too bad and the one on Friday looks interesting.

Genndy's series is okay, and its perfectly in line with all the other EU crap and its over exxaggertations. Ths show is more in line with the movies, and there is nothing wrong with that, but dumbing down Dooku like a punk, well that was not good. In the end. being a jedi and sith is just about philiosophy and minor pre-cog, coupled with excellent physcial fighting/gymnastics abilities. Thats what I'm gathering here, cause they haven't done anything that impressive...well expect Ventress. I really like her here in this show. Much better fighter and villan, than all the other clone war stuff includng Dark Horse comic adaptions of her.

14. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    That I'm able to ignore. The fact that Anakin was ever given a Padawan is far more unrealistic and unignorable (is that a word? [face_plain]). The fighting is unrealistic, yes, but that's because of the cartoon style.

15. SuperSaiyaMan12

SuperSaiyaMan12 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    He was letting his inner Samurai Jack in with that episode. And besides 'unrealistic' is irrevelant giving that its fiction.

16. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    It's not a problem if fiction is completely unrealistic? Wha?

17. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    Wrong. Its not a problem because it is fiction. Doesn't have to be realistic. And Star Wars is a hybrid of Science Fiction and Fantasy anyway.

18. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    So, you'd be fine for some three year olds to be on Jedi Master level, perhaps be as wise as Yoda, and defeat Darth Vader?

19. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    No...since, unless its their species ages faster than others, that would be unrealistic.

20. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong, you just completely contradicted yourself.

21. SuperSaiyaMan12

Aug 30, 2005
    Not really.

22. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    You said "unrealistic" is irrelevant because it's fiction. Then you said that you wouldn't be fine with three year olds to be on Jedi Master level, perhaps be as wise as Yoda, and defeat Darth Vader - in fiction - because it would be unrealistic. That seems like a contradiction to me.

23. Fettclone1

Aug 4, 2006
    Technically he did contradict himself.

To his defense, however, there's a difference between exaggeration and something that comes completely out of nowhere. I think that's what he was getting at.

You went to the extreme end to make a point but presented something highly unlikely. You know, like Anakin suddenly having a padawan for a short window of time...which no one ever talks about.

24. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    Yeah, but if realism/irrealism is just irrelevant, it shouldn't matter how unrealistic something is.

25. JediLight

May 31, 2001
    The SW universe's level of fantasy has been well established from the OT and the PT. The depths and the limits on how far SW can go with the fantasy element has been sort of defined.

That is what makes the Gennedy Series unrealistic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.