main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Clone Wars or The Genndy Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by arctrooper84, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBang

MrBang Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2009
    I disagree; the new series has stale 3D Animation (Character's do not move fluidly), the plots, while more expansive, aren't better at all and the characters seem hammy and kiddish.

2. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Both shows have their merits, but I find that the GT series was more action and symbolism than anything, albeit of excellent quality. TCW has more room to expand and has shown it's got a lot of potential to develop into something wonderful. On its own, it's already one of the greats of the new cartoons being released. I think the GT series makes for a wonderful micro-series experience, but really, TCW is delivering (at least to 'casuals' :p) weekly Star Wars goodness.

The GT series is just what it is: A mini-series, and a darn good one at that. It was created as a mini-series and was given some liberties alongside some restrictions. I think it's kind of pointless to set up what you've seen as a possible contender for TV serials as it just wasn't made that way to me. For one thing, if they did intend to make it for TV, it would have been even closer to Samurai Jack in execution. Instead, we've got Mace Windu tearing an army apart with his bare hands, and Yoda throwing troop carriers into each other. You think they could get away with throwing that into a TV series on a weekly basis? :p

The Clone Wars is structured differently. It was made for TV. It wasn't a little side project, but a big one they planned. It's only natural they'll throw much more into its production. Whether it's good or not is a matter of taste and opinion, though I'd argue that their process has sharpened considerably.

I do agree, though, that if they had decided to invest more in a 2D series, it might have been just as good as TCW as well. Perhaps it might have been more critically acclaimed owing to a combination of fanboys and Genndy Tartakovsky's mad skillz. But for my part, I'm more than happy with what we have instead. XD

3. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Animation-The characters move pretty well giving that it is in 3d. the scenery of the planets its very well done.

Plots-the episode plots are much better then the Gennedy series IMo. They all have the swashbuckling space fantasy theme that the movies have.

Characters-The characters are pretty much in line with their movie counterparts. Anakin is showing us why he is the great warrior and good man, Obi-Wan said. Kenobi still has that world wary wit. And Ahsoka granted that she is annoying has shown some character development.

Bottomline IMO, the Gennedy series was a good mini series, but it had no depth and primirly was just action. TCW isn't prefect but it is better all-round then the Gennedy series.

4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This series has the unique advantage that it is suported by all fronts by the Lucasfilm powerhouse. You have an expansive juvenile/child book tie-in that are a mother to collect. It gave me nightmares just to track all of them down, you have the shows writer pitching stories and writing the comic book series to include the mini-digests (2 of them so far), a toy line that keeps selling. Everytime I go into Wal-Mart, have the stuff is gone, you have two adult novels that were good, plus another one coming out in May. The epsiodes are way better then the movie that came before it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Genndy clone wars cartoon, but for me it part of the 1.0 version of the clone wars. Where they were too many abstract stories and little if any input from the man himslef GL. As we get to the end of season 1, it is evident that GL and company are heavily involved with this series from marketing to the actual episodes. Becuase of this, unfortunately for me, even though I am a staunch supporter of the Gendy series, I must say that the new show is better than what came before, becuase of the above.

But together, they are part of the expansive clone war era that has balloned to over 70 comic books and counting, numerous numbers of adult novels, juvenile novels, video games, toys, Star Wars Insider Short Story articles to include the HNN news and the like.

No era has grown tremendously since 2002 since the clone war era, and it is still growing.

5. MrBang

MrBang Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2009
    The animation for the Micro Series is still much better (more fluid, faster). The plots aren't better at all, there might be more to them, but they aren't any better.

The characters aren't anything like they are in the movie and Ashoka is as bad as Jar Jar.

6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I wouldn't go that far. At least she can usually handle herself in a fight - and ON PURPOSE rather than tripping over a gun and accidentally taking out a half-dozen droids.

7. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    For the most part, yes they are. The only arguement is Padme. But she is never consistent.:p

8. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    I like both equally, just like any other thing Star Wars related. :p I see no flaws in either of them (I like the action scenes and Mace taking down the droid army on Dantooine.) They both are considered canon, as was said in one of my older Star Wars Insider issues. Volume I (Genndy series) shows us what happened after Episode II. Then, at the beginning of Volume 2 is where the new The Clone Wars comes in, after Anakin's knighting and such. So, I think everything Star Wars fits into the canon line.

9. MrBang

MrBang Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2009
    She is such a stereotype though...At least Jar Jar was some what original

10. Cyclone

Cyclone Jedi Master star 1

Apr 29, 1999
    I don't mind Asoka's brattitude since I see that they are going to mature her into someone that is respectable. So I consider this phase to be something that we will contrast against in the future seasons of the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.