The Clone Wars Premier

Discussion in 'Oregon FanForce' started by Colt1326, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colt1326 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Starwars.com wrote:

"A new era of Star Wars entertainment begins in 2008 when Star Wars: The Clone Wars, from creator George Lucas, premieres as an all-new feature film in August, followed by the television series debut in the fall, in a partnership announced today between Lucasfilm Ltd., Warner Bros. Pictures and Turner Broadcasting System Inc.

Produced by Lucasfilm Animation, Star Wars: The Clone Wars takes audiences on incredible new Star Wars adventures, combining the legendary storytelling of Lucasfilm with an eye-popping, signature animation style. Star Wars: The Clone Wars will open in North American theaters Friday, August 15. International release dates will be announced soon."

So now I ask you the midnight premier might not draw as much attention as the real movies did however i will still be going to the premier. Who else will be going and which theater should we go to? I usually go to stark regional but that is out of the way for most. So know any others middle of Portland or so? We can all meet up in costumes or whatever. In the CR fourms there has been discussed about Costume Contest, lightsaber duels the effect at night would be pretty awesome, trivia, and anything else we could come up with. Also if we can make business cards with our site on it, it might bring more attention to the lines and our site. Which means more members! We can not waste any time on this and it must be done.

Just because this might not be as big as the movies does not mean we can't make it as big for the movies. Here is a list I thinks we should have:

OFF shirts to wear if not on costume
    OFF business cards to hand out to invite new members
    anything else we can think of between now and then.
  2. AramysStrael Force Ghost

star 4
    Those of us in our respective costuming groups will, no doubt, be doing some sort of costuming event for the premier.

- Bill
  3. Colt1326 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yet leave none costumers out of it? hmm very well you can do your thing I think the rest of us that don't do costumes can do something else.
  4. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    business cards? lol. Why business cards?

I'm usually very attached to Santiam 11, it's where the OFF actually gathered during the movies. Though everyone was mostly spread around theaters, we still had a small gathering and sign that represented the OFF. But I don't think people will be gathering for these.
    As much as I would for the heck of it... I would feel kind of silly. I don't know if i would have given clone wars much thought, personally. But it just feels weird to stand in line(in costume) for a "cartoon" Star Wars(yes, I know it's not actually "cartoon")

But hey, you could try to convince me otherwise! I'm open to being won over. :p
  5. Colt1326 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Being won over? That does not sound hard to do lol
  6. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Excuse me, I take that as insulting! [face_not_talking]
  7. Colt1326 Jedi Knight

star 1
    As someone once said. "Come to the darkside we have cookies"

Come to the Premier we can have cookies. :p
  8. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Are you serious? Man I would hope most of our fan base has more devotion than that. I mean come on, this is a FEATURE FILM, a Star Wars movie in theaters, that's a HUGE deal. If that doesn't excite you then I'm not sure what would exactly. Everything else is below that in excitement except the 6 live-action films. If you can't get excited over the opening of a new Star Wars movie that looks totally awesome, I guess "just" a cartoon series or just a new video game or just a new novel or anything else won't excite you, either.

I don't consider anyone a true, die-hard Star Wars fan if they miss the midnight showing of a new Star Wars film. Unless it's because a loved one is dying or their wife is having a baby that night or they are having a baby, etc. Besides that, there are no excuses, 2.1 million people skipped work to see The Phantom Menace in theaters. If someone told me I would be directing a $200,000 music video the next day I'd still go see it at midnight, and if they told me the only time we could shoot the video is from 10 p.m. to 10 a.m. that night / day so I'd have to miss the premiere I'd say no thanks. I figure if I'm that good that they want me for that, I'll have plenty more opportunities, but there's just ONE opening of a new Star Wars movie in theaters and all of the money in the world at the end of your life can't make up for experiences missed.

I'd say it's a pretty freakin' big deal. Also I find it really insulting to say that something is "just" a cartoon. You are implying that animation is a lesser art form than live-action filmmaking and I think that's by far mistaken. You can't tell me that Toy Story is a good movie for being "just a cartoon." Animation is an art form, like any other, and it's no better or worse than others either. I am sure that the animators who have poured long days and nights into making every detail as good as possible don't look at their work as being "just" animation, so I really can't understand that attitude.

I'll be in line for Clone Wars I'm sure at least 6 hours early, and for me that's kind of slacking off. I was there 8-9 hours early for TPM, because of school I couldn't do better than that, AOTC was 24, and ROTS I think was also 24, first in line both times.

I understand that 90% of Star Wars "fans" are not very die-hard and Star Wars is just something they enjoy, but if I call myself a fan of something I take that seriously. I love Smallville and Prison Break, for instance, but to call myself a fan of either series only applies in the loosest terms, I don't even watch them on TV, only on DVD, and I don't post on messageboards about them either. I'm a Yankees fan and I make a habit of watching as many games as I can, probably at least parts of half of the 162 games each year, even if it's only 30 minutes. But when it's post-season time I will not miss a game, that's my team, and I take my fandom seriously. Same goes with Star Wars. I don't have the time to read every novel or keep up on every detail, but when it comes to the big stuff like feature films I'm there to support the movies.

I guess I have high standards for fans. I don't personally understand how anyone could call themselves a fan and see a Star Wars movie in theaters fewer than 5 times, I'd say 10 but I'm being nice. When someone calls themselves a huge fan, waits 2 years to see TPM, then watches it
  9. Colt1326 Jedi Knight

star 1
    With all due respect bowen...

It is 2am....

With that said I will read that novel tomorrow when I can actually see better. lol
  10. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Very well said, I must say. [face_peace]

Here are my lame few sentences in reply,lol:

I am a fan of Star Wars. To be more specific, a fan of the Star Wars that George Lucas made well over 20 years ago. That being said, I accept the PT with all my heart no matter how good it COULD have been and wasn't. I am a fan of George Lucas' Star Wars. People can go on and not be true fans by hating the PT all they want. But to accept the Star Wars universe one has to realize that you in turn accept the creator of it. So I enjoy the PT very much, because I embrace it as the same universe that came out of George Lucas' mind.

I am also a fan of most of the books(not all, but most). Mostly those authors who stayed true to SW and it's characters as best as possible.

Maybe I just don't care enough because it is just something that comes in the name of Star Wars. Who knows. And if George Lucas had anything to do with it, all the better. But I don't feel like I need to care about it simply because it's someone else's extension. So hate me. lol. :p

I am interested in it, don't get me wrong. The only thing is, I would just feel a bit silly to dress in garb for it.
  11. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    I'd feel a bit silly to dress up in general. No offense to costumers but I stopped dressing up when I was 11, seriously, I'm a grown adult now. I love seeing the costumes people come up with and I think it's great and all but Star Wars fans in costume are one reason Star Wars fans are looked at as nerds, lol. That's not to say it's bad because the 501st does great work, for instance, they are awesome. But for me personally, not something I'd be interested in...

As for what you said, the prequels were amazing movies, and no, they couldn't have been any better. That was the story, told perfectly, with perfect visual effects, and that's the end of that. It's Lucas's story, not yours, so no you couldn't have done better and you don't know better. If it was your story, that'd be different. But this is the story. It's not like, gee, well Lucas was rushed so he could have done better but he just didn't have the time. No. This was all carefully thought out and executed down to the last detail. Whatever you saw is what he intended you to see. It's art, and therefore cannot be any better only different, and in my view that would most definitely not be good.

And Star Wars wasn't made 20 years ago or even close. It was 31 years ago; if you didn't notice last year was the 30th anniversary, we had a big celebration, maybe you missed it ;)

People who don't like the prequels aren't Star Wars fans. 'nuff said. Star Wars, the live-action film canon, is six movies, ONE story, you can't take it in pieces or parts any more than you can call yourself a fan of Transformers if you liked 4 really cool scenes but didn't like the rest. That no more makes you a fan than saying you like ESB and ANH, and parts of ROTS, but not the rest. That's not a fan. A fan is someone who embraces the Star Wars story, understands it, and appreciates it. It's not like it's a big deal if someone hates the prequels, no skin off my back or Lucas's back, etc., it's just they aren't Star Wars fans. They may indeed be fans of A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, but that doesn't make them Star Wars fans.

As for the novels, they aren't canon, you don't have to like that stuff. It's just for fun, and it is other peoples' visions of Star Wars. I personally enjoy some novels, don't care for others much at all, it depends on the author and their grasp of the mythology, not to mention the English language ;) The Clone Wars, however, is canon material. This feature isn't someone else's vision of Star Wars. It's still from George Lucas. To say that it's not because he didn't write the script is wrong; he keeps close creative input of this type of thing. On the features, do you think he made every single lightsaber or every building design or every character look? No, other people drew that stuff, they came up with it, but it was ultimately his vision. As a director that's what you do. I know because that's what I do, too. On my last music video I didn't come up with the lighting design for that, but I chose the guy who did, and I worked with him to give him an idea what I was looking to do. I gave him pretty free reign to come up with something spectacular, though, and he did. I also didn't think of every single element of the story, I had input from my DP that helped influence the finished product, but I made the ultimate decisions. That's what a director does, or above him a producer. In Lucas's case it would be a mistake to think he's not highly involved with the process for creating the Clone Wars movie and at least the broad strokes of the television series.
  12. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    It'll be great, but I've never gone to a midnight pemier before. It would be too late for me; I'd sleep in too long the next morning. Otherwise, I'd be really interested in doing that.
  13. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Oh man; I just saw the preview in the theater. Wow! It looks great.
  14. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    lol, that cracks me up. I always am up until 3-4 a.m., sometimes 5 a.m., and I rarely ever get up before noon any day of the week. When I have to, I make an exception, but it's not my preference. Fortunately I can do most of my work in the afternoon, I am not a morning person. So for me I'd always be up at midnight, might as well be seeing a movie. Plus sacrificing a little sleep is worth it for STAR WARS, come on. I had to get up at 6:40 in the morning the day TPM opened, I didn't get back from the theater until about 4 a.m. because we were all talking about the movie and whatnot. I barely slept, but it was worth it, haha.
  15. brook_33 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll probably be running the film at my theater since I'm a projectionist. I work at Century 16 Cedar Hills Crossing in Beaverton. Even if I'm not needed to screen the film, publicly or privately ;), I'll probably go to my own theater as an audience member since I get free tickets.
  16. Larena_Jade Jedi Master

star 4
    Well hay there FRIEND. :D
    After all, they let you view with a FRIEND, correct? :D

:p
  17. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    The new trailer is so awesome...

*drools*
  18. jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    Well it was here: http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/2_Minute_Clone_Wars_Clip_115208.asp
    but now it's gone. Extended footage featuring some really cool moves by Anakin's padawan. I guess it's Showing only at Disney Star Wars weekends. Both trailers are awesome, can't wait 'till Aug.15th!!:cool:
  19. AramysStrael Force Ghost

star 4
    It will be just around the corner!

- Bill
  20. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    I would attend if something were set up.
  21. jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    Plenty of time to set something up ie. midnight showing get together at some determined theater, maybe hanging out with the local 501st Legion/Rebel Legion members at some theater, if we can get organized ie. have a meeting soon, and hang out as Star Wars fans at a Star Wars movie, costume or no costume. [face_idea]

Some of us are members of the costume groups, so we will find out what theater(s) that will be hosting the festivities and then we can see if we can join up with them. If that's what the membership wants to do or just hang out at some random theater

Show your fandomness by wearing a Star Wars t shirt or better yet, we get our own Oregon Fan Force t shirt made.[face_idea]

Lots of possibilities.:cool:

22. darth_gersh Force Ghost

star 6
    I would also be interested in going to the premier and meeting OFF members.
  23. jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    Here's where the local 501st Legion Cloud City Garrison and Rebel Legion Kashyyyk Base members will be for the Clone Wars premier:
    8/14 Thursday Late Night 12:01am
    Portland
    Regal Lloyd Center 10 Cinema
    1510 NE Multnomah St.
    Portland, Or. 97232

Vancouver, Wa
    Regal Cascade 16 Cinemas
    1101 SE 160th Ave.
    Vancouver, Wa. 98683

Eugene
    Regal Valley River Center
    500 Valley River Center
    Eugene, Or. 97401
    Also appearing 8/15 6pm-9pm

Some of these places are having costume contests, trivia games, door prizes, posters and fun times.
    Would hope to see some OFF members come to these events and interact with the costumed people.

-Eric
  24. TNTMARTIALARTS Jedi Padawan

Hey everyone,

My martial arts school will be at the Regal Evergreen Cinemas on Aug. 15, 2008 from noon to 6pm. we will have a booth outside the main entry way and a table inside.

we'll be giving away a collectible edition of Kono magazine for kids that features the SWCWB on the cover, as well as interviews and pics inside. My students will also be doing light saber battles and demos.

I've requested appearances from just about every Portland area SW group, but nobody has replied.

I would love to have any and all SW fans in costume to help promote this event. We are also collecting $$ for a local non-profit family resource center

Please call me at 503-640-8400 if you can attend.

thanks, Mark.
  25. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah, Evergreen, my favorite Portland theater. That is where I saw all three of the Star Wars prequels. It will always be special to me, lots of good times I've had at that theater. When I go back to Portland and see a movie there it's always strange, there are always these other memories attached to just going to that theater. I have seen probably about 600 showings of films at that theater over the years. In 2002 alone I watched AOTC 54 times there, and total for that year I saw 260 screenings of films (I was a critic). Good times...

I missed out on getting tickets to the Hollywood ArcLight for Clone Wars, grr, I'm stuck at the Sherman Oaks ArcLight instead. At least our tickets are amazing... but still, blah.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.