The Clone Wars Premier

Discussion in 'Oregon FanForce' started by Colt1326, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    Well, I hope some of you can make it to the premier tonight. If not, atleast see the movie some time during it's boxoffice run. I can't believe it's finally here. So excited to see a New Star Wars movie in a theater.
    -Eric
  2. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Heck yeah Eric, have fun!
  3. brook_33 Jedi Master

star 4
    I was let down. Sorry.
  4. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Let down with the movie? Life? A date you had? Dinner before the movie?

What let you down?

Does the movie suck?
  5. jawafett Oregon Fanforce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 3
    I thought the movie was good. IMO. It's ment for the kids anyway. I liked the action, and it has the feel of the AOTC/ROTS battles.:cool:

I would watch it over any Shrek movie.

But I expected a bigger turnout for the premier night, but maybe we'll see better numbers over the weekend.

Good times though at Lloyd Center, lots of characters. A wookiee, some rebels, stormtroopers and clones. Even a Slave Leia.:eek:

-Eric
  6. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    Was it worth the hype?
    Is it up to Star Wars quality and tradition?
    Will it be a classic?

Tell us more, tell us more?
  7. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    Just check out the reviews:

The critics' really seem to hate this film.........with an average score of C-
  8. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    The critics have no clue. They don't even know how to review a movie like this, which is so obvious it's disgusting. They know nothing about the saga basically, they don't care about the Clone Wars in general, why would they care about a movie about it? Haha.

I thought it was excellent, Erik and I both loved it. I feared the worst, but I really enjoyed it. Erik and I were both surprised how much we ended up liking it. I figured it'd be good, but after the bad reviews I was nervous, so it was better than I expected.
  9. Capt-Jay83 Jedi Padawan

Exactly, thats why I never trust critics. They don't have the same devotion to movie series that a lot of fans do. Simply put, it's a movie for Star Wars fans, not film critics.

Anyways, I haven't seen it yet, but will within the next week or so and I do intend on enjoying it. And from what I've seen of the trailers and from a couple scenes on the net and tv, I've become rather fond of it's style.
  10. brook_33 Jedi Master

star 4
    Here's the thing, and I'll write this in my film review: This wasn't movie quality. It was obviously a TV pilot. The plot wasn't strong enough to par with the Saga films, and though a lot happens it's a small scale thing with little character development. The action is good, but the story fell short as far as film standards go. The dialogue was weak, and some lines made no sense. The voice actors for Anakin, Padme, and Palpatine were too different from the Saga actors. The voices of Yoda and Obi-wan were too exagerated, and it got annoying. Mace and Dooku were fine, but unfortunately Ventress was a bit too odd to make her a threatening villain. Yet for some reason the characters were all afraid of Ventress. The dialogue and behavior of the droids and the clones made them seem goofy and lame. There were inconsistencies in the battle. There was a character introduced who was, probably, the first gay character of Star Wars, at it was too ridiculous to be taken seriously. Finally, the innuendos between Anakin and Ashoka made Anakin look like a pedifile. There you go.
  11. JediMasterEllic_Kier Force Ghost

star 3
    Well I went and saw it last night with my wife and another life long fan. We all were a little nervous going in.
    All three of us loved it. It's great fun.
    Yes it has problems, yes it's not perfect. It was still fun and I can't wait for the TV show.
    Quite a few people actually clapped in our theater.

Try to have fun and relax when you go in.
  12. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Dang, I was hoping the plot would make up for the lack of it being live action.
  13. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    LOL, of course the plot isn't that complicated or epic, it's not supposed to be. If it were that important to the overall story it would have made the 6-part saga not been relegated to the time between two movies. But it still has a nice, simple enough plot, it's just one adventure in the Clone Wars, of which there will be plenty in the future. I don't know what people expected sometimes.
  14. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    I expect a decent enough story that a normal fan can enjoy. A story not loved only by people who are obsessed with Star Wars and think Lucas' **** doesn't stink.

Lets work up from there.

15. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Well I thought it was quite a nice story, I'm sorry you apparently didn't, but you're in the minority as far as the fans go. Just check the forum for it, 85% of fans really enjoyed the movie. If it were bad, I wouldn't have liked it.
  16. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    Don't worry, I will resolve this all.....

I will go see the movie and tell you all if it was good or bad. Then the debate will be over..........[face_laugh]
  17. TatooineForceRecon Jedi Knight

star 1
    WOW!!! Someone sure has a high opinion of himself.[face_shame_on_you]
  18. SigmaRue Jedi Knight

star 1
    You know what? It was fun. Dialogue had some blips in it, sure, but it could have been really bad. It wasn't. It was certainly a little more for the kids, but I was one once and didn't have a problem with that. =P

I just wish there had been more. Lots of stuff was left unresolved that I hope they tackle in the upcoming series.
  19. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    Reading is fundamental. If you actually read what I wrote, you would understand what I meant rather than making a smart remark. Bad is an opinion, and it's my opinion. No movie I like is bad, and no movie I hate is good. That's a fact. Why? Because bad and good are subjective, and since I'm the person quantifying films, then my opinion is absolute for ME. And nobody else. The implication in the previous post was that I would like ANYTHING Lucas put out, no matter what it is, even if I thought it was bad I would still come on here and say it was good because I'm that big of a Lucas fanboy. That was the implication. I said that was not the case, if it was actually bad, I wouldn't have liked it. I would have come on here and said, gee, that was a shame, I was hoping for more. The Holiday Special, for instance, is one of the worst things I have ever seen, it is completely horrible. You don't watch the Holiday Special, you SURVIVE it. It's that bad. The Ewoks movie was freakin' stupid, I mean I guess if I were 6 it would be good, but it was lousy. Some Star Wars books, ahem, Truce at Bakura, are completely terrible. I don't just automatically like something because it has the name Star Wars on it. But I happened to love The Clone Wars animated series that aired on Cartoon Network, thought it was fantastic as did most fans, and I really like what they're doing with this CG version as well. I think so far it's a lot of fun, tons of action, the Star Wars spirit is alive, I just had a blast.

Honestly I went into the film thinking, god, I hope this is good, but I just don't know. I read some of the reviews before and was fearing the worst, based on a few comments. I thought at best it would be somewhat good but lacking in major ways. I came out thinking, wow, the critics couldn't have been more wrong, that film was awesome! The more I thought about it, and the second time I saw it, the more I enjoyed it even. After I saw it I thought, wow, that was really good, not bad at all. Then within a few hours I was just like, dang, I really want to go see it again right now. Now I'm not expecting everyone to love it, but if you claim to be a huge Star Wars fan and think it's terrible, I'm sorry, I don't think you're much of a fan at all. That's my opinion, but I'm sick and tired of supposed die-hard fans coming after every Lucas movie, "Oh it was so bad, I'm a huge fan, but I hate ROTJ, I hate TPM, I hate AOTC, I hate ROTS." Well, you know what? Then go be a fan of something else. This fan base doesn't need whinny fans who think their imagination is so great that it's always better than whatever Lucas creates. It's annoying to those of us who love Star Wars and want to have a good time with the saga.
  20. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    You confuse 'fan' or even 'die hard fan' with 'obsessive compulsive fan'.

I'm a fan of the first three movies. the prequals in my opinion did not come close to living up to the orginal 3. By the time Revenge of the Sith came out the bar had been set so low it endes up being a good movie.

Now you say 85% of 'fans' here liked the film. And that's to be expected as most people here love everything Star Wars. People from here I talked to mostly enjoyed the experience of seeing a new Star Wars movie in the theater with their friends. Then they make excuses for why this film shouldn't be that great and say it was 'ok'.

Now for someone who ranks Star Wars as priority 1 in their lives and watches a Star Wars film 50+ times in the theater is obsessed with Star Wars. If you are obsessed with something you tend to not have a stable outlook on anything regarding thw obsession.
  21. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    I have a stable, logical outlook on anything, thank you very much, I'm a philosophy major and always can distance myself from anything and look at it rationally. The prequels were amazing films, in many respects better than the originals. On a story level it's all one story, chapters of the same overall tale / mythology, and I'm sorry you fail to see that, I have no idea why, but I would say something is wrong with YOU, not me, because if you don't like the prequels I don't know what to say. That's just sad. And I feel sorry for you. Not to like some of the most amazing films ever is just really sad. I'm glad I'm not in that position.

I didn't say The Clone Wars is the greatest animated film of all time, or that it's better than Pixar work. I may like it more than many Pixar films, because I'm a Star Wars fan so the subject itself is closer to me than Pixar's work, but I can obviously say the animation in Pixar films is better than in The Clone Wars, which was made with a TV budget in mind. It's not really fair to expect that the animation in The Clone Wars is going to match up to Wall-E. You could certainly argue that if Lucasfilm couldn't compete with that for theatrical release, they shouldn't have released the film theatrically at all. Fair enough, but those of us fans who really enjoyed the experience and got a lot out of it are happy they did.

To assume that a real fan, who loves the six movies, is deluding himself just because you are a bitter, cynical fan of the OT who has no appreciation for anything except what you watched when you were younger is really the extreme. There's nothing worse than accusing another fan of willfully deluding himself. It's a joke. Why would I have watched the prequels so many times if I really didn't even like them, I just wanted to kid myself into believing they were enjoyable films? It doesn't make any sense. I've written two non-fiction books, earned two blackbelts, directed music videos, short films, training videos, written numerous philosophy essays, I have a lot of stuff to do in my life, I don't sit at home in my parents' basement reading Star Wars comics all day and watching the Saga constantly. I love the films, and I consider Star Wars very important to my life, but I certainly wouldn't waste my time watching the movies again and again if I didn't even like them that much. I have used Star Wars to advance myself professionally, so you can't really accuse me of being just some obsessive fanboy. If you are going to write books about a movie series, you better be an expect on that series to be taken seriously by the fan base. I have studied the films extensively and delved into every aspect of their mythology, ideals, religious connections, commercial aspects, etc., so that no fan can doubt my passion for the saga and my knowledge of its workings. It is why I was chosen to co-author an essay for a scholarly book published in 2006. It's just a field of study, and I happen to be an expert in that field. It's obviously something I enjoy very much as well.

Then again, Star Wars is just one part of my life, so you make it out to be this obsessive-compulsive zeal, but I'm also a successful tournament Texas Hold 'Em player, I'm a martial artist, a filmmaker, and a philosopher. Star Wars is just one, albeit important, aspect of my life.

I don't question that you in fact don't like the prequels as much as the originals. I may think that's silly and cannot understand why because from my view it makes no sense, but I don't think you're deluding yourself into thinking they are not as good. I certainly think that's how you actually feel. Yet you are telling me basically that my opinions are not legitimate because I'm a big Star Wars fan, and yours are legitimate because your opinions are fact -- the prequels weren't as good. You take that as fact. To me, the prequels were the greatest films ever made, tied with the original trilogy, because I don't separate the six movies into separate entities any more than I'm going to judge individual episodes of Prison Break against indivi
  22. brook_33 Jedi Master

star 4
    But did anyone else get a creeper sense from Anakin everytime he looked at Ashoka?
  23. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, I am sure you feel you can. When someone is obsessed with something whether a person or an ideology, or maybe a series of movies, I am sure they think they are being rational.

You can try and back track and talk yourself out of this, but the facts of your prior posts cannot be hidden.

"If I'm a Star Wars fan and saw the prequels in theaters about 130 times, and someone else calls themselves a fan and they just watched them in theaters 5 times total, I'm sorry that's insulting to my fandom to have such a broad definition."

"I don't consider anyone a true, die-hard Star Wars fan if they miss the midnight showing of a new Star Wars film. Unless it's because a loved one is dying or their wife is having a baby that night or they are having a baby, etc. Besides that, there are no excuses, 2.1 million people skipped work to see The Phantom Menace in theaters."

"I would wait 5 hours in line for a 2-minute preview of Episode VII, so yeah, of course people will be gathering."

"Now that Star Wars has stood the test of time and has such a devoted fan base, people like me who will spend thousands of dollars every year, without pause, on the franchise and shower it with adoration, the franchise will never die again."

"I guess I have high standards for fans. I don't personally understand how anyone could call themselves a fan and see a Star Wars movie in theaters fewer than 5 times, I'd say 10 but I'm being nice. When someone calls themselves a huge fan, waits 2 years to see TPM, then watches it 3 times, I just wonder what's up. It was in theaters from May 1999 through January 2000, I saw it 50 times in that period, granted that's insane but it's not much to see it once a month on average, seriously."

You insult regular fans who have a healthy outlook on Star Wars. You chastise people who do not share your obsession. You become overly defensive and rationalize yourself delusion of grandeur. You list off all your positive (in your opinion) attributes which have nothing to do with this discussion, building yourself up to be more than you actually are. I am sure you actually believe the rest of the Star Wars fandom feels the same way you do. In actuality for those of us who have a healthy outlook on our fandom you come across as not only arrogant but mentally unstable.

Now I am not saying liking all six Star Wars movies, or the Clone Wars cartoon movie makes you crazy. I'm just quoting the messages you have left in the recent past. There is nothing wrong with having differing opinions of taste. There is something wrong with attacking other fans for not sharing your obsessive compulsive outlook on your fandom.

And with that I think we just identified why you really didn't get into USC film.
  24. Bowen Force Ghost

star 4
    I think your baseless personal attacks are inappropriate on this forum. They don't serve the desire to talk about the saga or identify with other fans. They are just destructive and obnoxious.

I think there are many types of Star Wars fans, and most of them are not like me, but I believe a true fan is someone who thoroughly enjoys all six movies. I'm not saying it makes you any less of a person if you hate the prequels or whatever, I mean who cares they're movies, lots of people don't like this movie or that one, but I do have a problem with fans acting as though their opinion is supreme and that it's perfectly acceptable to call yourself a huge Star Wars fan even while admitting you basically haven't liked a Star Wars movie since 1983 or 1980, or whatever the case may be. That is mentally unstable. To hang around a FAN forum when you're not really a fan of the subject strikes me as perplexing and a waste of time. I did not care for the final season of Alias, a show I loved up until that point. But I don't go on Alias forums talking about how awful Season Five was because I just don't care enough. I have better things to do than complain about it.

I really couldn't care less what you think of me, and I'm not going to take your baiting and stoop to your level. I'm sorry you think that Lucas did you an injustice by not making the movies just as you want. I really am. But I can't help you with that. You're going to have to deal with that one on your own.
  25. Jiltedtoo Jedi Master

star 4
    There ya go, attacking other people's fandom because they do not love all 6 movies. Or myabe they do not spend thousands a year on Star Wars like you do so they can't be a real fan like you are.

Hell, you have me convinced. I think you are the only real fan in here. Congratulations, you beat OFF when it comes to Star Wars.

You make it personal. You take personal offense to any opinion you disagree with.

Someone comes out and says they do not think the prequals live up to the originals and you attack them.

Someone says the animated movie doesn't live up to be a Star Wars movie and you attack them.

Someone doesn't live up to your idea of fandom and you attack them.

You called me out, and I answered.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.