main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Clone Wars prison break (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by fanboyskywalker, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    There's been a lot of talk about this happening. An episode pretty much seems inevitable, since Wat Tambor was captured in Liberty on Ryloth and we know in ROTS he is free again. It's also a time of war and surely both sides are taking captives. In the Seppy's case they are probably putting the clones to work in some fashion, making ordanace, which could be sabotaged...

However, rather than see the obvious Separatist prisoner escape episode, I thought it might be fun to toss around some other ideas and things we would like to see. Or maybe you do want to see a more straight forward Seppy prison escape episode?

Here's my two cents to start the ball rolling:

I'm not against a prison break episode, in fact, I wouldn't mind seeing a Star Wars prison break style episode somewhere down the line (season three seems good). But they (Dave, George and co.)would have to do something different with it than what we have seen before (Hostage Crisis). Definetly get a glimpse into what prison life is like in the SW galaxy - which is an area hinted at in the movies, but not really shown to the degree TCW could do justice to with an entire episode dedicated to it. Say, what happens to Clones who are taken prisoner? Perhaps Rex is captured and has to break out with a few Clones... could be a Rookies style stand-alone episode. They def. did a bunch of those kind of movies for WW2 -- I know Lucas is a fan of The Great Escape -- so why not do the Great Escape with clones! Also, instead of droid prison guards maybe we get organic guards or something. And a whole new planet to explore - the prison planet! Or maybe it's a ship that roams the galaxy so the Republic can't find it and attempt a prison break on it, so Rex and some Clones try to take it over or at least send an SOS.

As i meniotned above, I'm honestly not that interested in seeing a Seppy prison escape. As far as what to do about good old Wat Tambor, I think at some point (and I can't remember if Nute Gunray is or isn't in jail at this point??) he has to be set free, but instead of escaping, which just doesn't make sense for a coward like that to attempt a prison break out, IMO,, they should do a prisoner exchange. Maybe the exchange goes awry...

What do you guys think they should do?

2. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I would definatly like to see a "Prison break" episode of TCW. I am a big Wat Tambor fan, so I would like to see him heavily in the episode. I also think that a episode revolving around Clones in prison would also be fun. (Rookies was my favorite S1 episode)

(No Nute Gunray is not captured, as of now)

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    My dream; Mandalorian assault on Coruscant to free the prisoners, personally. :cool:

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I wouldn't be too upset if they just announce that he has been sprung from prison during a news reel opening. Gunray got a prison break episode, and Cad Bane's hostage crisis was orchestrated to spring Ziro from prison. I wouldn't want to see a trend where Separatist characters constantly get captured and then are sprung from prison. Isn't Poggle still being held at this point too?

5. Kaxs

Kaxs Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2009
    In the old Clone Wars cartoon, San Hill was captured at Muunilinst - then he is mysteriously seen free again in Revenge of the Sith. Then, in the new Clone Wars series, we have already seen several Sep leaders captured and freed - Ziro in the movie and Hostage Crisis, Nute Gunray in Bombad Jedi and Cloak of Darkness, even Dooku himself in Dooku Captured and The Gungan General. Yes, it would be good to see how Wat Tambor and Poggle the Lesser are freed. But please, no more after that - the theme is getting very overused. Instead, please, make another Whorm Loathsom that can be captured permanently, or a Gha Nachkt that can easily be killer off, or just a Cad Bane that can escape and (possibly) live happily ever after.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ah, poor San Hill. Forever the forgotten one. Well, at least now he has company.

As for Loathsom... somehow, he escaped.

7. Kaxs

Dec 28, 2009
    Kriff, not another one captured and then freed. This is getting ridiculous.

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    "I escaped somehow. let's go!"

9. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [image=http://i33.tinypic.com/b3kjv9.jpg]

"Ah-ha, yes Kato... the old prison break ploy again."

A prison break for clone troopers would make more sense. Separatist escape episodes are a cliche writer's
    device to recycle charcters. A breakout based on THE GREAT ESCAPE or ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ, at least,
    would be new to the series.

10. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I agree with whoever said that new characters should be introduced on the Separatist side (and Republic side too) to fill the role of characters that can be captured indefinitely or killed. But at the same time I don't think that every new character should be like Nahdar, or the various tactical droids, and be introduced and killed off in the same episode. Lucas keeps reusing characters established in the films to show them in a different light. I'd rather see other prominent Separatists that I never knew existed become somewhat prominent and be killed off or even survive, then see San Hill, Shu Mai, etc. be introduced only to follow the same get captured followed by a jail break formula.

Rex and Ahsoka are new characters whose fates are not known. Either of them could survive until ROTS and beyond, or they could be killed off. Commander Appo could be retconned to be Rex for all we know, or maybe Rex changes his name, gets transferred to a different command posting, serves under Appo, or is killed and replaced by Appo.

More characters like that should be introduced. If Shu Mai is introduced and captured, we all know that ultimately she is going to get rescued. Now if you introduce more characters, like Lok Durd or Mar Tuuk, they could be killed off in the episode that they are introduced in, they could go on to survive several seasons before being killed off or captured, or they could survive the war completely. Such characters are not restricted by details established in the films.

Similarly, on the Republic side Mace Windu could be given a padawan, other Jedi beyond members of the Jedi council could be introduced and become reoccurring characters, other original non-clone/non-Jedi officers like Yularen could be introduced, etc.

11. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Nah, they'll just have Tom Kane tell us how they escaped. Watch it happen.

12. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Announcer: Plans! After a dangerous mission, Jedi Master Oppo Rancisis has captured the last of the evil Separatist Council. But when vicious Po Nudo arrives to awesome prison ship, the endearing Plan starts...

Small brig, full of prisoners...
    Shu Mai: So how are we going to escape?
    Poggle the Lesser: Krr'kh asssk'rr!
    Shu Mai: Shut up Poggle, Dooku was the only one able to understand you.
    (laughter from shadows)
    (more laughter)
    (San Hill arrives)
    Wat Tambor: Weren't you dead?
    San Hill: No, I wasn't. Want to see a magic trick?
    Lok Durd: Hey, what are you-
    San Hill: There are too many neimoidians around anyway.
    Passel Argente: So what is this plan of yours?
    San Hill: It's simple. Escape the prison.

And so begins the adventure...

Nuvo Vindi: You are all bunch of loonies! I'm glad to be the only sane one here!

Po Nudo: What you mean you can't fly us up this shaft?
    Poggle: Rrr'rr'rr'rr.

Whorm: How long didyar dig this tunnela?
    Neimoidian aide with too many retcons: I and San Hill have been here longer than anyone. My whole back is tattoed. Look, when I move my arms Anakin hits himself.

San Hill: We are going to meet our ally.
    Passel: But that's a clone!
    Slick: Call me Slick. But I'm doing this only for my brothers.
    Poggle: Yyy'rr''k. (I had brothers but I had them turned to zombies)

Sometime some season, some tv-series.

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It just occurred to me that if all the leaders end up captured, they can direct the war from the safety of the prison... and the series could introduce a new prison warden character who is letting them have access to the HoloNet etc. It would be a quite interesting turn of events if Sidious wanted them all captured. :cool:

14. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    [face_laugh] Awesome... especially Slick and Poggle at the end.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. There could be a reason behind all this...

By the way, notice when the Republic captures someone, they're "arrested," but when the Separatists capture someone, it's "kidnapping."[face_thinking]

15. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    The Republic does not recognize the CIS' sovereignty. Those Confederates that get captured I figure fall under charges of treason rather than being considered prisoners of war. So if the CIS captures a member of the Republic, they're taking hostages, not holding any legitimacy in the eyes of the Republic.

16. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    From wiki: "Loathsom was eventually transferred from imprisonment on Akrit'tar to house arrest at a castle on Kerkoidia, from which, weeks later, he escaped captivity with the assistance of Separatist agents."

That's terrible! Retcon Retcon!!

Prison break with clones sounds like a cool episode to me.

17. Kaxs

Dec 28, 2009
    Well, we hear in the TV series (including episodes like Cloak of Darkness) that the Sep leaders are arrested for "war crimes", not "treason". Probably means they're considered prisoners of war. Just a private guess.

18. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    But couldn't the Confederacy, who does work off an internal system with some sort of government (we've seen hints of it before, and it's much more complex than Dooku and Sidious telling them all what to do all the time), have a prison system of their own? They knew they were going to war long before the Republic did; someone must have figured they would need a prison system. At some points in the War they supposedly (*supposedly*) had nearly half the galaxy on their side. I doubt all those folks would accept slavery and execution as liable ways to dispose of captured enemies. I would think they must have prison cells, potentially even prison planets, to keep captives.

Although from the Republic's standpoint, Tarados, I certainly think you're right.

19. Scolai

Scolai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2009
    Hmmm....Kessel?

That'd be pretty awesome, actually.

20. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I agree that all of the CIS members should not be OK with the shady dealings of the CIS leaders. The problem is we've not really seen any noble CIS personnel, and only see the greedy and corrupt leaders of the Separatists. That's one of the things I hope is touched upon in the series, and I wish a good character would be introduced on the Separatist side. It's said that "heroes are on both sides" of the war in the ROTS scroll after all, but so far we've seen the Separatists try to annex the Lurmen and Toydarians by force.

Onaconda almost went over to the Separatist cause do to perceived shortcomings of the Republic and promises from the CIS. I think it's plausible that less prominent planetary leaders aligned with CIS could have been swayed by false promises and have an idealistic notion of what they're fighting for, all the while remaining ignorant of the true nature of people like Dooku, Gunray, Tambor, etc.

21. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Well, the Bith system joined the CIS, but only in protest and not in a military way, I heard. And they still sent Anakin there to guard it. :p

I certainly agree that there should be good people on the side of the Separatists too. Genuinely good organisations, planets or individuals who want to do the right thing. That said, this is a world of clearly defined good and evil, so it'll be some time before we get a more clearly admirable leader. XD

Do note, however, that it's also reasonable to assume that the core companies (Trade Federation, Techno Union, Banking Clan, etc.) are run by greedy, devious, amoral people, so they'd want to surround themselves with others they can easily control or who share their thoughts, and they in turn might want to dupe or find planets that think similarly to them. Heck, Dooku wanted to kill the Toydarian king and set up a puppet government of sorts. So while there are very probably good/neutral systems among the Separatists, they're not completely widespread. Getting people who'd agree with you or that you can control is probably seen as the easiest way to manage their assets, I believe.

After all, if they did enough thinking about what's right and wrong, what if they decided 'heck, these guys are worse than the Republic, we have to stop them!'? :p

22. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Dooku was a charismatic leader in the prequels that was said to be rallying systems. The Jedi themselves identify Dooku as a political idealist, not a murderer. But once the Jedi expose Dooku as a Sith Lord it's as though all of a sudden Dooku says "screw it, we'll use fear to win systems over."

We see Onaconda about to join due to promises of Nute Gunray, only to realize they were lies. The Toydarian king agrees to join if Yoda can be bested in a fair fight, only to realize that the Separatist forces have no intention of fighting fairly, and will kill the king if he refuses to cooperated. The Separatists show up on the Lurmen home world, "ransack" the "dung heap" and plan to test out a new weapon on the locals. On Ryloth, Wat Tambor is robbing the planet of its wealth, etc.

In AOTC Dooku operated through Jango, who contracted Zam Wessel to assassinate Padme. When dealing with characters like Gunray, and even the Jedi, he maintained a facade of being a gentlemen, even if it was insincere. He claimed he had no knowledge of a bounty hunter on Geonosis, he maintained that he was following a noble cause and that Qui-Gon would have helped him if he were still alive, he offered to spare the lives of the last surviving Jedi, he claimed that he was helpless to help Obi-Wan from being judged by the Geonosians, etc.

In TCW he supported Death Watch, and even though the Jedi knew the Separatists were behind it, Satine doubted it. If the incidents with the Toydarians and Lurmen were common knowledge, I don't see how the thousands of systems vying for neutrality could honestly think that the war was going to pass them by. Nor do I see how the thousands of systems that joined the CIS could condone such actions. There is no Death Star yet. The CIS needs the "bureaucracy" to maintain control. Even though Dooku's forces are doing atrocious things behind the scenes, he'd have to be putting on a good face for the systems under his control, and duping them into fighting for his "idealistic" cause. We just have not really seen it yet.

Amidala is an idealist too. She sees corruption in the Republic, yet stands by it. However, in ROTS she goes as far as to ask Anakin if he thinks that they are fighting on the right side in the war. I don't see the prequels as good vs. evil since the Republic is grey. Padme seems like she's siding with the lesser of two evils as the CIS is portrayed as nothing but sadistic, aggressive, and greedy. I think an anti-Padme character could stand to be introduced on the CIS side. Maybe a Padme meets Anakin type of military figure, a heroic idealist that never the less hates the Republic. I don't think that TCW should be flooded with such "grey" characters, but one or two on the CIS side I think would be nice. Similarly to how Slick and Cut have been introduced that not all clones are the extreme Republic loyalists that obey orders without question.

23. Koonster

Koonster Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2009
    Yeah, Poggle and Wat have GOT to get out of prison. Whether Bane comes back and busts them out, or they have a whole "the great escape"esque episode, I dont care, but seriously, Nute's like the ONLY one not in jail.

24. Kaxs

Dec 28, 2009
    Well, there's Passel Argente, Shu Mai, Po Nudo, Tikkes... I'm sure I've forgotten someone. But essentially, I agree with you. Too bad they couldn't carry Queen Kirana into prison too, that would have complicated the prison break for the Seps ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.