main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

the clone wars really doesn't matter!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Im sorry but does anyone else think that they should have done something else for a tv show than MORE clone wars? i mean come on! there have been a very long list of books,a long list of comic books,short story's,lots of video games and even a whole TV seres about the clone wars and at the beginning it was fun but now that ROTS is over how can we really go BACK to the clone wars? as specially now that we know it was all just a big sham and it never really mattered who won? is it just me or does anyone else feel like we are trapped in the star wars time line to never go beyond the clone wars?

when ROTS came out it was like the grand finale to the 3 year clone wars multimedia that we have constantly read,played,and even watched and at the end of the movie i was ready to move on to the VERY big,very unknown and VERY exciting space in between ROTS and ANH that we have heard about since 1977 but than i found out that the new tv show was going to be about MORE clone wars! why? the whole idea of anakin having an apprentice seems to just complicate everything and doesn't make much sense. i just want to know how people feel about this becouse it seems to me like what ever happens on the show is not going to matter becouse we know that the war is a big sham! its just going to be MORE jedi and clones fighting droids.whatever they are going to be fighting for each week just will not matter becouse we all know how it ends!

just think of what we could have seen if this show was set after ROTS instead of being stuck in time the way it is.we could have seen how the rebel alliance got started.we could have seen a young leia as a senator and maybe even luke on tatooine. we could have seen vader hunting down the last jedi.we could have seen the dark times that obi-wan talked about and i know that the live action tv seres is going to be about this stuff but it could never be as good as it would be in animation! becouse we alredy know that basically the only character we are going to see in that show is boba fett! if it was in animation we would be able to see luke and leia growing up and countless other very important things.

so is there anyone else that agrees with me? how do you guys feel about this?

2. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Regardless of what you may think, there is still a lot of coverage left for the CW. There is three years during that time period, and plenty of battles. There are some books and comics, but it is definitely better to see than to read, IMO at least. And the other TV series barely showed anything really. Like it's been stated in other threads, that was just a test really, to see how something like this would do (IIRC). And there is always room for more things that they can make up.

Like you said, that's what the LA series is for. And I disagree, I would much rather see the "Dark Times" era be covered in LA than in cartoon. And that's not true about Boba Fett. They haven't really made any confirmation as of who will be in the show for sure. They did say there would be mainly new characters, but I can guarantee that there will be original characters. ;)

So, don't be so down on the CW! :p Be glad that they are putting out more Star Wars stuff for fans to enjoy! :)

3. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    yea but when you think of ALL the books,comics,video games, and everything else it is just way too much for only 3 years! ill give you an example of what i mean, in the dark horse comic book seres at the beginning of each one there is a little page where it sez EXACTLY how many years and/or months each book takes place and there are 3 years worth of comic books in that seres! i know becouse i enjoyed them a lot and have them all and they stack from the floor up to my waste! so with as tight a time frame as that one would find it very VERY hard to find space for ALL the story's in the books,games,and tv show and STILL have room for the new tv show! and i heard that GL is alredy working on the 3rd season on the show! that means there is going to be years and years worth of clone wars happenings! it just does not make scents!!! im sorry but come on! if ther is some one who can give me a ruff explanation for this than please do.

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I really wouldn't be too concerned with established CW stories; Lucas is going to do his own thing.

5. Etain

Etain Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2008
    It's been shown often enough that established canon ist worth nothing if Lucas suddenly has other plans.

6. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    My feeling on the animated Clone Wars series is this:

Most of the general public (i.e casual fans of the saga and most importantly, kids) haven't read all the CW books and comics that were published between AOTC and ROTS, so to them this'll be the Clone Wars.

Sometimes fans have to take a step back, look at the bigger picture, and realize not everything has to be specifically for them.

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    haven't we had this thread a million times by now?

8. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    Yes. [face_plain]

Perhaps we should make an Official Complain about the CW thread. :p

9. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    it just seems unbelievable to me that we now have to take everything that has been sed and don about the clone wars and forget about it and sweep it under the rug. if you look at the time line on wookieepidea or any official star wars site all that stuff is in the time line for good and more stuff has been sed about it in other star wars story's.thats why it is very very hard to do something like erase 3 very established years of star wars history only to go back and redo it again and so quickly to.im not talking about what i like or any other individual fan but what is official.is there any one else that sees what i mean? we saw the clone wars for 3 years now we should be seeing what the galactic civil war is like,thats the war that we seen the least of.

10. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    another thing that bothers me is that the clone wars project was very well done when you think about it. to me it was like a masterpiece becouse in the movies it lasted 3 years and IRL it lasted 3 years becouse thats how long it took for ROTS to come out and that worked but now they are adding like 3 MORE years worth of clone wars becouse of the new tv show. a perfect example is the old TV show MASH that show lasted for like 12 seasons but IRL the war it was about was only a few years! see what i mean? it kills the perfectness about it.

11. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Fortunately, M*A*S*H was a great show, and I'm hoping TCW will be as well.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

While the stories already told about the Clone Wars spanned the 3 years of the war, there are large gaps of time skipped over between those stories. They actually only tell maybe 1/3rd to a 1/2 of the war at most- and many of those stories focus on one set of characters (swapping back and forth between the Obi/Anakin pairing and Quinlan/Aayla, usually), so even then you have room to tell more stories focusing on other characters during the same time periods.

13. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I've read a good heep of the CW novels, and I'm still pumped for this show. As long as it doesn't seriously conflict with the stories, I think I'll still love it.

14. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I have too, but if there is any story on the show that conflicts with a novel or comic, I'm not going to let it keep me up at night and stop me from enjoying the show.

15. UltimateJustin

UltimateJustin Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    Between the solid plastic skin of the characters, the cartoon character designs that don't work as well in 3D as they kind of did in 2D, the forced in apprentice who looks like a monkey or calista flockhart,
    [image=http://i.enewsi.com/g/generated/Entertainment/The_Clone_Wars/ACW-IA-2345-R__scaled_600.jpg]

the fact that the "exciting" thing about the CW originally was supposed to be that it was occuring in real time with the gap between the movies, and that its all ready been covered extensively and concluded years ago, I have to agree, the CW don't matter and are the worst time frame to set a Star Wars. BORING. I hope it gets cancelled midway through the first broadcast.

16. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    You're a real Star Wars fan. [face_plain]

:p I think it will be interesting. Boring is not a word I would use to describe it. There will be plenty of action to go around in this series. In fact, I think it could be one of the more action packed time periods in all of Star Wars.
    I feel the EXACT same way. I've read several and don't care if they completely wipe it away. The way I will take it is as another retelling of the story. Nothing more.

17. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I think we already burnt that bridge when Labyrinth of Evil and SW: Clone Wars had fairly significant differences in the attack on Coruscant/abduction of Palpatine.

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    They're not all that significant, actually- most of the perceived major differences are more a matter of adaptation than contradiction.

19. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    I tend to agree, the Clone War thing has been done to death, and the whole thing sort of feels like a re-tread of areas lacking in the PT that shouldn't have been lacking in the first place, not to mention all the revisions/retcons added to things because Lucas was bored since ROTS came out. To me it all feels highly forced and extremely contrived, just on the bits on info that we know. It's not that there's not more space to cram stories into, its that it all feels very forced. Though technically, if you added up all the EU--the dozens of novels, dozens of comics, the young adult books, the video games, the RPG stuff--I'm sure that almost every single day of that 1000-day period had something written about it. But I guess that doesn't really matter as long as its all done well. I mean if you look at the original Marvel series from 1977-1980, it seems like every day Luke and Leia and Han had some crazy, epic adventure, and even tangled with Vader face-to-face a few times. But people generally ignore EU in the first place anyway.

It's not that the clone war doesn't matter, but I tend to agree with the main sentiment here, its been done to death, it was not necessary to go back to it, and the contrived re-invention and repetition only adds to the feeling that there's no real reason why this show should exist. Of course, all is forgiven if the bottom line is met, which is that it entertains. I guess we'll see how that goes.

20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    This is a good point that some of you bring up. On the flip side of things, it was obvious that GL would do an animated series for the clone wars due to the success of the micro show. Can't let someone else come into your sandbox and outdo you right? Second, it still the perfect era becuase they can open things up far more than they did in the movies, novels, and yep some of the comic books.

The bad part of this, is that yes, we are getting more clone wars stories and it will add a bunch to whats done before. No, the series won't get cancelled or lose becuase, this show was done for everyone in mind. A few unhappy, disgruntled diehards won't make a difference. Every one of us will watch the Clone Wars movie. Whether we end up likeing it or not will be ones opinion. Nevertheless, the movie will make money, the show will be a success, and if the movie does good. You can bet that GL will go back to the well and do another one. Heck, the movie doesn't have to make a lot of money in the US. The international box office will carry the movie alone. Just look at Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull. Look at its international take. GL stands with the clone wars and Indiana Jones to make over a billion total in the box-office returns, and that is not counting the toys, books, and stuff like that. Now tell me, isn't that shrewed merchandising?

if the micro series, which was bashed on these boards did well, imagine the new tv show? The same thing will be with the live action. They will be good, but even if it ain't, the fact that it carries the Star Wars name and will be billed as live action tv for the first time ever, will carry it through.

My complaint is that we truly aren't going to get anything before TPM or after ROTJ. Everything that has come out from the Star Wars Holiday Special, Star Wars: Droids, Star Wars: Ewoks, Clone Wars and the two Ewok movies fall under the entire 6 movie frame. And no one better say that The Ewok Advenure: The Battle for Endor was done after ROTJ cause thats not true at all.

For all other eras, the novels, comic books, video games, and the role playing games will cover that.

21. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    I finally saw the new trailer and I'm not impressed at all. Looks no better than a video game. Don't really care about more CW stories. Really want to see post-ROTJ movies.

22. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    if GL were to make this season of the tv show about the clone wars and the next season about the galactic civil war(or ANYTHING else) than i would have no problem with that and it would be one of the best ideas ever becouse we would get a new era of star wars every season but that would never happen. does anyone else here think that GL just doesnt like or care about the galactic civil war any more? becouse it seems like he is wasting all his opportunities to enrich that part of the saga so that it gos along well with the PT era. the REAL war of the saga is the galactic civil war yet it is starting to look smaller than the clone wars becouse of things like this.:mad::_|

23. darth_nemisis

May 15, 2004
    I don't think there are "dozens of books" in the Clone Wars era. This is just what I can think of:
    -Shatterpoint
    -Jedi Trials
    -Med Star Duology
    -Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
    -Cestus Deception
    -The Hive
    -Labrynth of Evil

That's hardly a dozen.

And you're right vong, this series will succeed with or without those that seem to hate it. That's because there are a lot of younger kids that will love it, and there are a lot of older people who will like it just because it's Star Wars. Like me. :D And there is no way this will be as bad as something like the Holiday Special or something. I see this show being action packed and full of amazingly wonderful battles. But, you say they aren't going to venture into other areas. GL has said that they might if these shows are a success, so they just might do that if this is a success.

Looks no better than a video game.

Seriously? I think the animations look great. I am an avid video gamer and have yet to see something that good on the market.

24. UltimateJustin

UltimateJustin Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    I'm a pretty big SW fan, I liked all the prequels and did my duty defending them, I like the CW micro series, I hope the live-action show will be good. I do seriously believe that the Clone Wars in general were a disappointment to begin with, just what they are, how they were fought, that Jedi became generals :confused:. When the Clone Wars were mentioned in the first movie and discussed by fans, it seemed like they were something cooler than a war that the winning side fought using clones. Thats dumb! But anyway, I still liked them for what they were worth, a good way to pass the time and keep the hype and merch going inbetween II and III.

Now its overkill that we are still dwelling on them over less explored eras, but thats really not my main problem with this show. Someone said the visuals are no better than a videogame. Man, I wish they looked as good as most videogame cut scenes. Its a shame they ARE going to do more character developement and seriousness with these character designs, cause the goofiness doesn't lend itself well to drama. Thats why this series is so vexing to me, because this is my first time hating on any major Star Wars media. When I watched the trailer for the movie, the shot of R2 squeeling and rolling passed the screen made the whole thing feel so empty of played out. Like this show is offering nothing except "Hey. Hey! Its STAR WARS! You like it when R2-D2 does this! You recognize it!". I finally feel like a hater. My transition is complete.

*kills some kids*

25. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Well, exactly, Darth Nemesis, Lucas is playing to a marketable audience. The young kids are all about Jedi battles and the clone wars, thats where the money is, and I think thats one of the main reasons why all of LFL's concentrations since 1999 has been with this sort of thing rather than the Galactic civil war.

As for the animation, it depends on how you look at it; as a feature film its awful, as a TV series its quite good, but they are selling this as a theatrical movie so we shouldn't judge by television standards. If they keep up the quality for the weekly series--which remains to be seen, I should remind--then at least we can say that it is successful on some technical level, even though the designs are very inconsistent in terms of stylisation. But then this is just a cartoon for ten year olds don't forget, and how many cartoons for ten year olds are done this well? Very few. But the perplexing part is the adults trying to get people to buy it as a serious dramatic piece.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.