main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion The Clone Wars: Republic Heroes Video Game *Official* Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Dave Filoni's awesome hat is an achievement!? :eek: Now I really want this game!

I'll be getting this alongside the season 1 box set next month as a Christmas prezzie for myself. :D I'm quite stoked.

2. Mekairinek

Mekairinek Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm probably going to see if Blockbuster has it for rental yet. I don't think they will (since it's not exactly a hotly anticipated title), but it wouldn't hurt to check.

I'll be getting it on the 360. Because that's my primary platform these days.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Isn't it Indiana Jones' hat?

Anyway, does anyone know when this game will be released on Europe?

4. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    It's called a fedora I think and both Indy and Filoni have one. But seeing as it's a Star Wars: The Clone Wars game I think the influence for the achievement was Filoni, not Indy ;)

5. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I just got the game. Hopefully once I play it, I'll give you guys my review. ;)

6. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    An awesome, awesome game. The story is amazing and makes you wanna keep playing, the gameplay is fun, and overall, just awesome. Well, it is Star Wars, so no matter what it's gonna be awesome. :p

7. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    Here's my mini review. If you don't wanna read it because it's long, I don't blame you. :)

Well, I've been playing the game since I got home from work and for a PSP game, it's fun. Not as good as The Force Unleashed, but fun nonetheless. Again, the PSP version is probably a lot different than the PS3 or the 360 version, so my comments are based purely on the PSP version. Though I can say that the graphics of this game are leaps and bounds better than those for The Force Unleashed.

Like revealed in the thread, the gameplay is a bit similar to the LEGO games. You don't have lives and you don't die, really. You accumulate points by taking out droids, breaking crystals and gathering these little blue orbs along the way. As you go along, you activate checkpoints or "Force" checkpoints. Basically, if you die, you "use the Force" to come back. If you fall off a cliff or get killed by a droid, you go back to the last checkpoint you passed and you lose some points. So, you can die over and over again and all you'll lose are points, just like the LEGO games. The points are used to buy upgrades. Stronger Force powers and things of that nature.

There are little mini-games that you can activate for medals. You compete against your computer sidekick to see who can destroy more droids. If you win, you get more points towards your total. These missions aren't mandatory, but still fun to do. Also, you get little puzzles to solve, kinda like in Jedi Alliance for DS, that you have to do to open a door or activate a power source. For instance, you have to line up the colored links to activate a walkway and stuff like that. So far, the Clones have been the ones to do puzzle solving.

I enjoyed playing as the Clones more than the Jedi, actually. The running, shooting, ducking and tossing bombs reminded me of a third person shooter like Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow, Killzone: Liberaton or Resistance: Retribution, which I absolutely love. Give me a third-person Star Wars game like Resistance: Retribution instead of Battlefront and I'd be all over it.

There are small annoyances. It took me 20 minutes just to figure out how to take out the first boss, lol. But that's mainly a camera issue with the PSP and most PSP games have camera issues. That goes with the territory of the console. Also, the controls are a little awkward. If you play as a Jedi, you can hop on certain droids and control them. You'll need to do this to shoot out columns or just make it easier when you're surrounded by droids and you want to just shoot them all instead of jumping around and attacking them one by one. You'll also get extra points for taking out droids with a droid, so that's fun. The problem is that when you try to jump on top of one and press the button to control them, it's very similar to the "Double jump and bring down your lightsaber like an axe" move. So, I end up destroying the droid that I wanted to jump on top of over and over again.

Also, there's a lot of repetition. There was a moment where you play as Plo Koon with Obi-Wan assisting you and it's just a constant string of jump on a platform, run away from the ray shields, destroy droids, run away from the ray shields, etc. This happens at least five or six times in a row. At one point, Obi-Wan says, "More droids. How predictable." Yes, Obi-Wan. I agree. Enough already.

Other than those minor issues, the game is pretty enjoyable. A lot lighter in tone than The Force Unleashed. Easy to pick up and play. The voice acting is excellent and Ahsoka didn't even annoy me. Actually, it was pretty fun playing as her and her quips were actually pretty amusing. Plus, Obi-Wan and Plo Koon running around kicking butt made the purchase worthwhile. If the PSP version is this fun, I can imagine how fun the PS3 and 360 versions are. I'd give it an 8/10. :)

8. Shadow555

Shadow555 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2005
    Does anyone know if Cad Bane is just in the game as a story character or can you actually play as him in the game? Just wanted to know. I'm thinking about either renting this game this weekend or buying it.

9. blaster_fire

blaster_fire Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2009
    Here is the review from Gamespot. 3.5

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/starwarstheclonewarsrepublicheroes/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review

I can understand if they're coming from a game perspective, but these game sites are clueless when it comes to reviewing Star Wars.

10. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    I'll be getting this on PS3. I can't wait to get it, but I have to wait a bit so I can build up my bank account.

11. blaster_fire

Aug 13, 2009
    I'm going to pick it up eventually, just not now. Some of my friends are going to give me poodo over me buying it when other games are coming out this fall. To be honest I couldn't care less how it turned out. It could be the most unplayable SW game ever, but I'd still buy it and put it in my collection for it being Star Wars alone.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
  13. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Has anyone purchased the Wii version yet?

14. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    No, it won't. I need to buy a new PC for myself because my current Dell Dimension 3000 (bought in later Novemeber 2005) has a NVIDIA GeForce FX5100, and Republic Heroes doesn't support it. The game "Requires a video card that can support Shader Model 3.0 or higher". My PC cannot support PCI-express either. :rolleyes:

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Damn. That's why they should have released a PC demo.

Wait, but the Intel X3100 supports DirectX 10.0, Shader Model 4.0 and OpenGL 2.0. :confused:

16. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    That's what my Dell laptop has. Apparently Republic Heroes doesn't like it. But you should at least try and see if it does work. It ran fine but then my game crashed when I began a campaign. My PC cannot start the game up at all.

17. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Bought the Wii version. Played it for hours. Those of you who have questions, feel free to ask away. :)

The story is pretty cool. It takes place during the aftermath of the Ryloth trilogy, and the Jedi pairings are unique to the game.

We get to see Obi-Wan team up with Plo Koon, as well as Luminara and Aayla.

It's like getting another long episode between S1 and S2.

Hope you guys are enjoying the game!

18. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The reviews I've read basically confirmed what I suspected from watching the earlier game play videos. [face_plain]

19. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Yeah, if I'm being honest, most of the reviews are justified. There's a lot to complain about.

Hard core gamers are going to trash this game to no end. However, those of you who enjoy SW games for the simple fact that they are SW games should be satisfied.

As a huge fan of the show, getting another long episode is what draws me to the game.

20. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Is it just me or has the voice actors really not put much effort into TCW's game outing? I've just loaded the video walkthrough of the first mission and it sounded bloody awful! You have the theme from the end of Innocents of Ryloth at the BEGGINING of the battle, and Matt Lanter and Ashley Eckstein don't seem to have polished off their vocal performances, it's like they recorded a rehersal! Even Yoda doesn't sound right, but then that's probably just because he tells players to go to the shop.:oops: An all powerfull Jedi Master telling me to go to the shop!:_|

I just hope James Arnold Taylor and Corey Burton have done better, I don't want just an hour and a half of scraps from the show.:mad:

21. fett51

fett51 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2008
    Co-ops in the PC version. The PC version has a whole separate set of controls for a second player, and they activate if you hit backspace. Don't know if there's any kind of online co-op, I doubt they made the effort.

As for the reviews, I went into this game fully expecting it to be the worst thing I've ever played, but it's actually ok. The controls are all right once you get used to them and I haven't had any of the issues gamespot mentions, though I still find myself plunging to my death once or twice on the platforming levels. The combat is basic, I think it's a cut above the likes of lego star wars but it's no Jedi Knight game. They did a VERY good job making you feel like you're playing the TV show, they got all the voice actors except Luminara's and the story definitely lines up with what you'd expect from the TV show (well, the first season anyway). I think if you approach it from that angle it's worth a playthrough, but if it were from another IP I probably couldn't be bothered with it.

And to answer Shadow555's question, yes you can play as Cad Bane but only on clone levels after you've beaten them once normally.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, I meant online co-op.

23. blaster_fire

Aug 13, 2009
    Agreed. Of course it's not really the game that I don't like getting trashed by reviewers, it's the source material. And have you noticed that sometimes the reviewer is nearly completely illiterate to anything SW aside from the movies and a few games?

24. Shadow555

Shadow555 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2005
    Thanks for the information Fett51. I can't wait to play as Bane.

25. ObiWanJedi93

ObiWanJedi93 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2008
    I'm halfway through the game now, and it is amazing. Awesome story. Can't wait to go through and free play as Cad Bane on clone missions. Will be awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.