main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Season 1 DVD/Blu-Ray Official Discussion & FAQ (No Season 2 Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMarino

DarthMarino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 18, 2002
    Has anyone contacted them about it? If so, who did you contact? If no one complains they won't know about it. "Destroy Malevolence" also has this issue.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Mine has no problem on the aspect ratio on any of those episodes...

3. DarthMarino

Jul 18, 2002
    You specifically checked the two shots in question? Do you have the DVD or the Blu Ray?

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes.

DVD.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    IIRC, they did touch upon it in the commentary track for the movie (they play a clip of the audience audio applause)- though, I agree that I'd have loved to have seen video or a small featurette on it included somewhere.

6. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    Who would we contact? Warner Bros or Lucasfilm?

7. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Arrghh!!! Just got the R2 Season one DVD boxset and the episodes play waaay too fast...On the menu the theme music plays normally, but in the episodes it is ridiculously sped up & the character voices are off-puttingly high pitched. I was thinking it was something to do with the region difference..but I've never had this problem with a R2 dvd before. My GF thinks I'm over obsessing but seriously, it's unwatchable for me. Any other UK-er's had this problem? [face_frustrated]

8. adamclark83

Feb 1, 2009
    We have PAL here in Australia too, and my copy sounds fine. It's just the aspect ratio changes and the lines cut from "Destroy Malevolence" and "Duel of the Droids" that is annoying me.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No. I guess I'm lucky, since I have any of those problems you people are having. :)

10. DarthMarino

Jul 18, 2002
    So buy it on Blu Ray and your problem will be solved. PAL speedup doesn't effect HD formats.

11. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    You're all heart DarthMarino ;)

Seriously though, could PAL speedup be the problem? It's never been noticeable to me before. I've got every SW DVD on region 2 and they all play at the proper speed..this Clone Wars set is just ridiculous.

12. DarthMarino

Jul 18, 2002
    If you buy region 2 DVD's they are pretty much all sped up 4%. I'm really not sure why you are noticing it so much on the Clone Wars if that's what is causing it. Can you post an example?

13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I just got this and have only flipped through the concept art booklet - The art of Qymaen jai Sheelal(Grievous) holding up a severed Yoda head is awesome=P~

14. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    The concept art booklet was awesome. I loved the Grievous statue with the severed Yoda head and the original concept idea for Florrum (It looked Jello-like)

15. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    Is there any source on the differences between the aired shows and the director's cuts? I know they're pretty minimal, but as I now have the iTunes shows and the DVD, I guess I can A/B them for posterity. I'd just be surprised if nobody else has done this yet!

16. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I got the DVD for Christmas and I just recently bought a blu-ray player. Now I'm just wondering if it's worth buying TCW on blu-ray.

17. adamclark83

Feb 1, 2009
    I haven't found anything yet. I guess there are people out there who don't like this series that they even care.

18. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I hooked up my blu-ray player and popped in my TCW blu-rays and WOW. Just wow. It's like watching the episodes again for the first time... only they are even better now to the point it's almost worth just waiting for the Blu-rays than watching it first run on cable. The quality is outstanding from the audio levels (hearing things I didn't hear on regular cable) to the colors. TCW alone is worth buying a blu-ray and a HD TV. I actually found many of the problems I have with the animation weren't even present in the blu-ray version. The opening shots in space on Ambush... it's like being in space it is so clear. The details on the space ships... I sometimes forget it's animation until the characters appear.

I'm only thru disc one so still plenty of episodes to go but it's like night and day. I'm gonna find it so hard to go back to watching it via cable. :(

Another cool thing is watching the episodes one after the other because you notice a lot of episode to episode tie-ins you miss waiting week to week. And if it's say a three parter you find the episodes flow better because you don't forget things as much as when you wait for part two or three.

I seriously recommend upgrading to blu-ray for these movies.

19. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Just rewatched Innocents of Ryloth. Even better the second time. Waxer and Boil and Numa - well done. Good Obi-wan bits -- loved the rookie going "Incredible" when he saw Obi-wan "tame" the monsters and Cody's relaxed seen it all before attitude toward Obi-wan's Force awesomeness.

Henry Gilroy is def. one of the best writers on this show. I like him as supervising writer better than Drew Greenberg so far.

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    One of the best parts of that episode. Similar to the "Oh my God!" from Hostage Crisis. ;)

21. adamclark83

Feb 1, 2009
    Looking at the Blu-ray specifications, how come the movie is lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 but the first season is lossy Dolby Digital 5.1?

22. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Season 1 wasn't THX certified either, if I'm not mistaken.

23. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Well I haven't seen the DVD but the Blu-ray is stunning. There's TONS of bonus material and the episodes look incredible. having an HD tv might help, too.

Seriously, though, I bought a blu-ray finally just for these DVDs - well that and the prices were dirt cheap at Xmas :)

24. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Just a quick question:

I just resently got the set and watched the Director's Cut version of Liberty on Ryloth and it seems to me that thry took nothing out, just added more scenes. Is this true? The word "cut" makes it sound like they took stuff out.

Also, are the original broadcasts conon or the Director's Cuts? I have a little obsessive with continuity, as you've probably noticed...8-}

25. Scolai

Scolai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2009
    A "Director's Cut" refers to the concept of a film reel cut together (spliced, edited, etc.) completely at the director's discretion. It doesn't mean things were taken out, though they could be. It means it's supposedly the director's vision, without any cuts for time or by executives, etc. In practice, it usually means that a movie or show has had parts added back in that were originally edited out for time or content. The Special Editions of the original trilogy could be considered "Director's Cuts".

As for canon, the rule is usually the most recent release is the canon source, so a director's cut on the DVD that was released after the original airing would be the primary canon source, much as the Special Edition version of the OT is the canon and the original version is not (in other words, per canon, Han did not shoot first).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.