main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Clone Wars Season 1: So Far, So What?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by EHT, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    First of all, let me point out that I am really enjoying TCW and that I generally post comments to that effect here after each episode... please keep that in mind. [face_peace]

However, as the end of Season I approaches (one episode left as I write this), some squeaky little gears inside my head started turning and made me wonder about the "So What?" factor and TCW. What I mean is, are we getting a lot of little bits of entertainment here without a forward-moving plotline or any real addition to the story of the overall Saga?

I know it is only the end of season 1, and if they stick to the plan to make 100 episodes that probably means 4 more seasons (or at least 3 long seasons)... so maybe more development will come later on. But so far these are essentially self-contained stories that resolve themselves at the end of 22 minutes (or in the case of the three-part story arcs, three 22-minute episodes). Then the following week we start fresh with another story that is not any farther along in the overall story. If it continues like this for 3 or 4 more seasons, it may start to feel like beating a dead bantha. Of course, as I said, there may be plans to delve more into development of larger picture themes coming up in the next season or two, but maybe 100 episodes is too many for this format. So far we have gotten more insight into clones developing personalities and hints at Anakin's own personality tendencies, but that is about it as far as development of how this fits into the bigger picture. Other than that, this is essentially the details of battles between the Republic and the Separatists.

There is a finite timeline between AOTC and ROTS to work with here, and if they are covering that timeframe there are issues and developments in the story that will need to be addressed... to lead us into the state of things at the beginning of ROTS. This should not be like the Simpsons, where a bunch of stuff happens but nothing ever really changes. Even the Genndy series (which I did not like nearly as much as this version) kept moving forward and led us into ROTS (and did so in two seasons).

One of the great things about the six films is that they always kept moving forward with the overall plot, despite little scenes and sub-plots that they had going on as well. This series has a great opportunity to illustrate and fill in many of the plot development details between AOTC and ROTS, but as cool as TCW is to watch, I'm not really getting that feeling so far. Please share your thoughts.

This will be re-opened after "Hostage Crisis" airs on Friday. G_M.

2. MvG-88

MvG-88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 25, 2008
    I really don't mind stand alone episodes/story arcs, it shows the war from a lot of different perspectives. I see your point though, it may grow old in the long run and a plot running through a whole season raises more tension, so I really wouldn't have anything against that, especially after a whole seasons of "mini stories".

From what I have heard though season two will be more plot driven. Read somewhere that they will have like separate storylines that they will jump back and forth between. But it was a while since I checked in on the show so don't quote me on that :p

3. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I had a lot of these same thoughts as we approach the end of the season. I've been saying for a while now this show needs to take some twists and turns with the saga, but the problem is they are basically locked in story wise with ROTS. This was a lot of people's complaints when they announced they were doing this show. And while I've enjoyed the episodes so far, they aren't anything beyond good episodes when it comes down to it. They are really revealing anything major (except maybe that Anakin had a Padawan) and they don't really change the course of SW the way a lot of the books do, certainly the movies. They don't feel timeless like a lot of the other stuff, just filler between two movies.

New characters could help. A surprising death or two. I love the stand-alones, but maybe 1/2 the episodes could be forward moving come season two... that would help, too.

In the end, I'm not sure there is a whole lot they can do, though.

4. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I also think this show has a really good opportunity with the clones. Cloning is a big issue right now, and certainly something we are going to be facing more and more. I think the possibility of cloning a person is not far off, and this show has a great opportunity to comment on that and explore that. It doesn't (and shouldn't) be preachy, but a focus on the clones (which didn't get too much attention in the movies) would give it a relevancy and possible "so what" factor.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I think I'm ready for a break from TCW, to be honest.

While they've mostly met or exceeded my expectations, for some reason, I've only watched the last few weeks once each. I guess I've been busy, but I'm ready for season 1 to be over.

6. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Ding, ding, ding! Red flag!

*leaves thread*

7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Care to explain that? I started my post that way to make it clear that I am not a "Clone Wars basher", and that I'm making these observations as someone (a SW fan) who is enjoying the show, while still wondering whether there may be more "to it" at some point.

8. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    Screw that guy....

Interesting topic, I am with you in many ways. I have seen every episode, not all on friday, but have made a point to see them all at some point or another because I too am a fan. Great animation, action, silliness, and even some drama. Ultimately tension and suspense are hard to produce on a large scale, in that we know the outcome big picture wise. I mean the "Ryloth Trilogy" was way cool, but its not like Mace is going to die. Thats not the worst of it. I had no doubt that the Republic was going to liberate the planet. Would have been nice to see them get driven off, or perhaps some drama between the Senator and the Freedom Fighters. I mean even that planet wide conflict was solved by Mace in no time. All of these shortcomings, even in the larger story arcs, occur due to the very short run time of each episode. I guess everyone can't be a winner in every way, but I have seen some episodes that in no way left me thinking "so what"? VVVV

"Ambush" to me was a fantastic example of a stand alone, with great action/character/insight/philosophy all in a well animated 22 min box for the kids. "Lair of Greivous" is another quality example in my mind. It is the afterthought of a larger storyline, but full of pretty deep character/philosophy stuff, and a nice set-up for future storylines, not to mention consequence. "Trespass" and the 2 parter with the Lurmen also in this group. All of these mentioned deal with the larger nature of dealing with war in very different ways. Galactic impacts, personal, political, emotional, ethical, philosophical...this is very impressive for an animated program. I feel this is where we can derive the most tension based storylines from.

Some episodes like "Gungan General" also accomplish exactley what they set out to, this is one of my personal favorites, but in no way creates suspense in the larger Star Wars galaxy.

For me the "so whats" are interestingly the "Malevolence"/"Ryloth" arcs, "Dooku Captured" arc, "Rookies"(dying for a good squad tactics episode with clones, this aint it)and a few others. Not that these arent very entertaining in many ways, just didn't hit the "consequences are dire mark".

Beyond my long rant, I think its just a tough formula to get right all the time to impact the rabid and knowledgeable fanbase. So far the more isolated episodes have hit that mark fer me, and the epic stuff not so much. I too am ok with a break for a while, and would recomend Ventress and Ahsoka getting killed off early to mid-season 2. If real consequence isn't available, the illusion of it will suffice =D

9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Many great points... thanks for all the responses so far (-1 [face_whistling] ).

10. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Okay guys, enough with the baiting, that's all of you.

I think I'm going to rename this thread, lock it, and re-open it after "Hostage Crisis" airs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.