main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Season 3 DVD Set Official Release

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Dark Lord Tarkas, May 21, 2011.

1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The itunes version is brighter than the blue ray. I hate it when they tinker with stuff and dull a color from a scene. I'm not buying no more blue rays from this show. I'm sticking to itunes, cause you get the first day release.

2. DarthMarino

DarthMarino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 18, 2002
    You've already posted this along with other misinformation (iTunes 720p versions having higher resolution than the 1080p versions found on the Blu-Ray?). We're all glad you are happy with the iTunes versions but you are doing no one any favors but repeatedly stating that they are "brighter than the Blu-Rays". The color, contrast and brightness are all excellent on the Blu-Ray releases. No colors have been dulled. The resolution is higher and they very clearly look better than the iTunes version.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not to mention the audio and extras.

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm not a stickler for quality. I'm fine watching stuff on netflex and hulu+ and tend to think optical media except for with games is obsolete myself. But there is no question 1080p blu-ray looks much better than streamed or downloaded content. I've never been a fan of itunes. There's alot of misinfo that goes on within the entertainment and inparticular the computer industry about HD. Especially with the later equiping most laptops with patheticly low quality 720p screens.

5. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I could care less if I'm watching something in 720 rather than 1080. It's all HD right? As far as I can tell there's no significant difference.

6. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    The higher the resolution the more pixels you have so the more you can see on the screen at once. I don't mind 720p for movies myself and It really doesn't matter if you only have a 720p screen like on most smaller, cheaper HDTVs and most consumer laptops out there because you obviously need a 1080p screen to take advantage of it.

Off topic but my problem with the computer industry is to save costs the industry moved to the 16:9 format so more screens could be cut from the same material which means they are cheaper to produce. Many of the manufacturers label these crappy 720p screens as full HD screens when they are not. 720p on a 14 or 15 inch laptop screen is infact a lower resolution than the old 16:10 WXGA resolution that was standard and also has less vertical space which sucks for people like me who like to browse the web and need to work on documents all the time instead of watching videos all the time.

7. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    720p looks beautiful enough, the only difference I really care about is the file size. Is it really worth giving up an extra half a gig or whatever the difference is for a miniscule improvement in quality? My reasoning is no.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That would be true if it really was a "miniscule improvement". But it's not. You can say that you don't care, but to say that it's all the same thing or that there is no significant difference only shows ignorance regarding this issue (no offense).

9. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I've watched things in both 720 and 1080 and the difference is not enough for me to neither notice nor care about.

10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    A HDTV 37inchs or larger is needed to really take advanged of 1080p from a good 1080p source like a blu-ray. Personally I would rather have a 900p or 1080p screen on my laptop than a 720p screen but that's not for watching video. I know what you mean about Fanboy but when I download movies or TV shows I normally don't care if its HD or not.

11. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I usually only download something in HD if it's something I have a real vested interest in. The only movie I have in HD is Pulp Fiction, purely because a HD movie is pushing 8GB sometimes which is ridiculous when a standard definition version is 2GB tops. I don't even have the Star Wars movies in HD and they do me fine.

And thanks for editing out that last part of your post Seerow, makes my post redundant.

12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I put it back. I guess we can go down together. Harddrive space is not a concern of mine. =P

13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    It's cool I forgive you. Unfortunately hard drive space is a constant concern for me because I'm always adding to my music library. Won't be long before I start to run low on space on my external HDD as well.

14. DarthMarino

Jul 18, 2002
    You can buy a 2TB external hard drive for about 80 bucks. Is space really that much of an issue?

15. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I'm not made of money buddy. I don't think it's worth 80 bucks to buy an extra HDD, just so I have the option of downloading movies in HD when standard quality is perfectly watchable.

If I had the luxury of being able to drop that much money whenever I fancied, I wouldn't be living on budget food every week and living in such a crappy, decrepit house.

16. EstarGuars

EstarGuars Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2011
    [image=http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpzx5zwbMO1qzjdke.gif]

17. DarthMarino

Jul 18, 2002
    We should probably get back on topic at this point. I only called out Vong because he is thread crapping false information which isn't going to help anyone interested in buying the DVD or Blu-Ray of Season 3. If you like the iTunes versions. Great. Go watch them. If you like illegally downloaded versions. Great. Go watch them. Those of us with Blu-Ray and to a lesser extent, DVD, do care about quality and features and that's exactly what this topic is about.

18. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Wrongo.

19. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    Careful now.

[image=http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/2009/10/custom_1256950366573_banhammer15gq9.jpg]

:p

20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Darth- I'm not trying to be anal, but watch the second episode of season 3. The part when obi-wan makes it to the outside of the Kamino platform and Grevious appears from behind. Grevious activates his two lightsabers and take a look at the blue one, it a shade brighter, then take a look at the blue ray version.

Then look at the last episode of the Citadel arc, right towards the end, before Ashoka kills the Commander. Both Obi and Anakin are slashing away with the lightsabers. Take a look at the itunes verision and then take a look at the blue ray. Now I know that this is cheesey but still.

21. DarthMarino

Jul 18, 2002
    I truly have no idea what you are talking about. The lightsabers in that shot couldn't look and more perfect than they do on the Blu-Ray. Are you watching your iTunes versions on the same monitor as the Blu-Ray? Sounds like something is wrong with your TV settings.

22. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    I've just finished disk3 of season 3, and wondering... What happened to the cartoon I liked?
    It feels like all the soul has been ripped out of it.
    There have been what, 3 episodes about Obi-wan, Anakin, an Asoka...
    The rest just feel... Wrong.
    Dathomir is home to all Zabrak? And they All have those tatoos? What happened to the tatoos being a sign of devotion to the sith?
    Where are the Rancors that are supposedly from Dathomir? In fact, this planet has absolutely nothing (beyond a few names) in common with that described in The Courtship of Princess Leia.
    What happened to the show I liked?
    Now we get a bunch of preachy anti-war speeches, with the substance and skill of a 3rd-grader's debate class (OK, maybe jr-high debate class).
    And the timeline... Most of the episodes seem to be prequels to other episodes, that were prequels to a prequel movie. Then we finally get a couple that fall in place afterward. The stories just seem like a jumbled, incoherent mess.
    What happened to the cartoon I liked?

23. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    I finished watching Disk 4. Finally, episodes reminiscent of the ones I liked, but not enough to make up for the abominations of Disk3. The prison break felt overly padded.

Next time, I wait for the rental disks from Netflix before buying the series based on the outstanding quality of seasons 1&2.

24. EstarGuars

EstarGuars Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2011
    Disc 2 finalised. That boring first half is now an admisible first half for me. The only two episodes who I found unwatchable were The Academy and Evil Plans. My opinion over Corruption, Pursuit of Peace and Sphere of Influence has been improved. I found Supply Lines specifically wonderful, probably because Season Four get me used to the Gungans. The visuals are better than ever, the lighting, the models, the textures, all the things I couldn´t note on the TV.

But really The Academy and Evil Plans are really bad, they´re the first episodes of the entire series that I couldn´t rewatch. Ahsoka´s class in The Academy is so stupid, and you can see Ahsoka nipples [face_sick] (I remember an user mentioned this, now I can say it´s real). Evil Plans is completely stupid, it makes no sense. What´s after this? An episode revolving around a virus in Padme´s computer?

This time I enjoyed Corruption and Pursuit of Peace a bit more. I found the politics very well handed in some moments and bad handed in others. The details ruined the episode for me (warehouse burning, Padmé´s speeder chase) but this time I enjoyed them more.

The battle of Kamino is wonderfull! Also the Ventress scene! =D=

And I liked the Creating Kamino and Hutts and the Underworld extras. Specially the second one, I loved to see Republic covers in my TV. The easters-eggs with the Republic Commando´s and the Gamorrean Guards´s were great too.

And Seerow, please bootleg those scenes. I hate they´re not included in the Dvd´s. (I need to get some money for a PS3)

P.D.: Thanks to the subtitles I spotted the mention of Orto Plutonia on Sphere of Influence, I´ve never listen to that

25. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    I'll be watching Disc 5 tonight and was wondering, how long do the featurettes run for?