main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Season 3 DVD Set Official Release

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Dark Lord Tarkas, May 21, 2011.

1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm hoping that they show the Father with the wings from the Mortis Trilogy.

2. HylianBowcaster

HylianBowcaster Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 6, 2011
    Physical media still delivers the premiere way to watch a movie or TV program. Streaming websites generally can't match the video and especially audio quality of a physical release.

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Hulu+ HD would like a word with you...

Optical media can't match the convenience of steaming media, besides that optical drives are starting to dissapear from laptops and even desktops as they require more ports than ever and connectivity to TVs and home theaters is being pushed. There are alot of variables that affect steaming video quality however. It really helps to have a fast internet connection of atleast 10mbps+ from your ISP and a good wireless 'N' (Mainly to max throughput) router with QoS engine. Also I regularly stream video to my PS3 from my current media center PC over my home network and quality is amazing.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    This. Every conversion made downgrades the quality.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    So give us a high quality electronic file (.mkv, whatever) to put on whatever device we want to use. The portability and space-saving features of electronic files are huge benefits, it's the same argument people have with CDs vs. mp3s. You can argue vinyl vs. mp3 if you like and that's fine, but I don't think the same argument applies to films so long as you have HD and surround sound capabilities.

DVDs also get scratched, which is idiotic IMHO.

I mean, you can buy a 1TB external hard drive for what, $150.00?

6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Around 60-90 dollars

7. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    Therein lies the problem. Most media companies are still terrified of letting people stream DRM'd versions of their content, let alone higher quality non-DRM versions.

It's idiotic to be sure. Piracy will always be an issue, DRM or not, so why not make it as easy as possible for your customers to legally buy your content as possible?

8. HylianBowcaster

HylianBowcaster Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 6, 2011
    Hulu+ only streams in 720p, not the full HD of 1080. And anyone with a good sound system will tell you there are nearly no places that stream lossless audio, which I've heard this will be the first Clone Wars season in DTS lossless audio.

9. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Well, since we seem to have gotten onto the subject, I'll weigh in. I think both physical and streaming media have their place.

Steaming media does have a good bit of convenience. I do have a Netflix streaming only account and I do get a fair amount of use out of it. I even rent movies from Vudu on occasion. Vudu is a service that can stream in 1080p by the way, if your connection is good enough and it looks pretty good at 46 inches. What I don't do yet, though, is permanently buy movies and TV seasons. Not from Vudu, not from CinemaNow, not from iTunes. The reason I don't is because there's always that question in the back of my mind, especially in the case of streaming services... "What happens if the company goes under?". Well, then the logical part of my mind says "Well, they'll make provisions for that or something so their customers don't get the shaft." And I tell myself "But how can you be sure? If they're bankrupt or whatever do they really care?" That's the thing. I guess I'm kind of paranoid about that aspect of streaming media, and I accept that. Still, when it comes to rentals or monthly fees for Netflix, that's the sort of thing I can get into.

When I decide a movie or TV series is worth putting down $20, $30 or more for, though, having the physical media makes me feel better because then I know I have it no matter what. It belongs to me, and the manufacturer could go up in a ball of flame tomorrow and the discs I have will still play in my players until one of them falls apart. Speaking of which, yes, discs can get scratched, but it all depends on how you treat them. I still own my copy of "Tombstone" on DVD that I bought in 1999 still in it's original case, and it still plays like the day I bought it.

To me personally The Clone Wars series has value that warrants owning a permanent physical copy of it, and so I will continue buying the Blu-Rays as long as they make them.

10. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I'm with you SenatorK, I don't buy many blu ray/DVD season sets, but Clone Wars is worth it to me. I like the show, but also they give you a ton of bonus content, and I got it for a good discount on Amazon- $37 & free shipping instead of the $60 retail. I will say that the Season 1 set was the best since it had a featurette with Filoni and Gilroy for every single episode. They've skimmed down since then.

11. Bens_Dad

Bens_Dad Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2010
    This will be my first Blu-Ray Clone Wars purchase, having recently upgraded my home entertainment system (I believe there's another related Blu-Ray release a month before but I can't think what it is!). I simply cannot wait.

As for the debate about physical media, I'm old fashioned. I like stuff I can hold and put on a shelf so I can see it on display.

12. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    Although I'm pretty young, I greatly prefer physical media such as CD's, DVD's, BR-Discs ect, books, rather than using iTunes, and kindles and the like.

This will also be my first time purchasing TCW on Blu-Ray. I can't wait! [face_peace]

13. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I always prefer physical copies when possible. I don't watch the show on TV, so the DVDs are it for me. I don't like watching stuff on my computer streaming (or downloaded) unless it is literally the only reasonable medium I can use (like using iTunes to watch Doctor Who, since I don't get BBC America, anyway, and my parents do; I'd be waiting a year, otherwise, to discuss episodes with them).

I'll probably get S3 as soon as it comes out, like I did with S2. I may not watch it right away (S2 sat on my coffee table for like 5 months before I opened it and began to watch).

14. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Amazon has up who's going to be on the cover, and what's on the back cover while still packaged.

[​IMG]

What's with all the advertisement for Colt? He's been everywhere for Lucasfilm.

[​IMG]

Wookies? Check? big picture with clones and jedi? Check. Captain Rex? Check. Anakin and Obi-Wan dueling Savage Oppress? Check. No stills from the first 11 episodes? Check.

15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I think Colt's just the stock ARC Trooper image. Rex is everywhere else.

I guess because the crew who did the box art knows 8 out of the first 11 episodes were poor hits with fans. I'll probably pick eventually. I have the other two season blu-rays and might as well pick this up when I find it on sale to complete my collection and it doesn't help that The Lion King Trilogy blu-rays come out two weeks earlier and I want that much more than season 3 or the Saga. =P

16. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Oh the money spent on Blu-Rays...totally worth it though

17. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    So is the Region 1 Dvd release of season 3 only 4 Discs? All the advertising I have seen for region 4 is saying it is 5 discs.

Though perhaps it will be like the season 2 release where is was either 4 or 5 discs depending in which retailer you bought it from (with disc 5 containing special features only)

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    The October 18th S3 blu-ray release is region 1 far as I know but historically region 2 releases seem to happen about the same time for TCW DVD/blu-ray media.

19. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    Will this come with the usualy 64-page book like the first two seasons? I do like to have consistency when I buy box sets of a TV show.

20. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    To be honest I really don't like Blu Ray, at least on an animated show such as this. I watched Season 1 on Blu Ray and it just felt awkward, like a video game. For some reason movements feel smoother and the animation looks more believable to me on DVD.

21. DarthMarino

DarthMarino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 18, 2002
    This will NOT come in the book packaging like the first two seasons. It's a standard blu ray case with a slipcover. Much thinner than what we have on our shelves now. The insert is 4 pages with episode information, etc. Very disappointed that they are not offering consistent packaging. It would also appear that the first 2 seasons have been re-released with packaging to match season 3.

22. DarthMarino

DarthMarino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 18, 2002
    Blu-Ray is just offering higher resolution. The smoothness of the motion has nothing to do with it. Try turning off the motion interpolation on your TV.

23. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Not to mention that was Season 1.

Watching episodes like Landing at Point Rain on blu-ray is phenomenal.

We all know the animation jump from Season 1 to Season 2.

Hell from Season 2 to Season 3 as well.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I think the biggest animation jump was within Season 1.

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    All seasons look awesome in blu-ray to me. I think I will be getting season 3.