main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts The Clone Wars television shorts

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gandalf the Grey, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    From the Homing Beacon:

Picking up where Episode II left off, the saga of the Clone Wars will continue through animated shorts premiering this year from the Cartoon Network and Lucasfilm Ltd. Star Wars: Clone Wars will be a series of 20 animated shorts that will air on the Cartoon Network in 2003-2004 between other programming.

Helming this new series is Genndy Tartakovsky, the acclaimed creator of "Samurai Jack" and "Dexter's Laboratory." The episodic shorts will be two- to three-minutes in length and will air exclusively on Cartoon Network at regularly scheduled times beginning this fall.

For full details, plus the first-ever glimpse of artwork from Star Wars: Clone Wars, click here.

Tartakovsky took some time from his busy production schedule to speak with starwars.com.

"I was contacted because I've always been very vocal that I'm a Star Wars fan and would love to work on it," he said. "So, the Cartoon Network came up to me and asked me to put a little pitch together. We came up with this idea of doing a Clone Wars-style story with a Band of Brothers-feel to it -- where it's episodes of different battles and strategies during the Clone Wars. We went up to Lucasfilm and pitched it, and everyone enjoyed it, and it just came together."

Click here for the full two-page interview with the creative force behind this exciting Star Wars chapter.

Is anyone excited by this? ;)

2. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    yes i am very excited,i did not see the ewoks one so this will be new for me and i will give them a chance,i would of hoped they're done in a samuri jack style but in dexters lab is fine,it look to be more torwd dexs lab.

3. Alabak

Alabak Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2001
    Verry excited! :D

I love Samurai Jack, so i know the show is in good hands with Genndy Tartakovsky.

I was a little bummed at first when i heard about them only beeing 2-3 minutes, but that only lasted for a few minutes.
    2-3 minutes is more than enough time to deliver a kick arse cartoon. :cool:

4. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    I am very excited, I just really wish this line never existed: between other programming.

They are going to tempt us 'till Episode III and I am not going to like the show because all I want is more! Aside from that, I can't wait to see them. :)

5. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    I wish it was a 'full' length cartoon, instead of just shorts in between other shows. Better than nothing though.

6. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    I'm not crazy about the art but I'm definitly looking foreward to seeing them. Luckily they're going to be scheduled so we don't have to watch TCN all day waiting for them. :p

7. Exar_Xan

Exar_Xan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 29, 2001
    I am too exited about this and am curious how they will work it out in just 2-3 minutes.

I never saw either the drois or ewok cartoons so it will be totally new for me. Altough i am not sure if this will air in the Netherlands were i live cause we are always short on things SW.

8. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    The animation style should work well for the action scenes, but I wish it were something more serious/detailed for the rest. The 2-3 minutes thing bugs me too, but it should be cool when they have all aired and we can watch some 40-60 minutes of new Star Wars :cool:

9. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    I'm really looking forward to this :)
    2-3 minute shorts of anything Star wars is fine with me, at least I'm getting something ;)
    And hopefully there'll be a DVD at the end of it with the whole series :)
    40-60 minutes of CW action "Yippee" :D

10. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I'm a fan of both Genndy Tartakovsky's and Craig McCracken's highly stylized cartoon designs and even though the Samurai Jack style was the last style I would think of for a LFL series I absolutely dig it! I couldn't wait for sample sheets when news first broke out by AICN.

I think the 2-3 minutes of air time works out okay and think its a great build up. I look forward to more of the battle scenes than I am of any lightsaber duels...can't wait for the "rumble in the jungle" stuff!

11. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    While I do want to see these "shorts" isnt anyone else rather wanting 20 1/2 hr cartoons instead?? On the other thread which was locked, someone said they would "scratch their heads for ideas". WHY? For just 20 episodes, a whole array of storylines can take place that could include other characters aside from Obi, Anakin, Yoda, Padme, etc. Have those characters in one or two episodes, have a few episodes dedicated to the leadup of EpIII (if that is what is intended), and then for the others, follow side storylines that take place during the Clone Wars, but not involving major events. Include other Jedi like Ki-Adi Mundi or whomever. Get Aurra Sing involved (if she isnt involved in EpIII). Not that hard to create 20 stories if you ask me.

I think thats they way it should be if they are going through all this trouble in the first place. Its a wasted oppurtunity (esp if GL wants more kids to get involved in SW), which is why I stand by my original statement from the locked thread:

"Shame on George Lucas...again".

12. Emi-Yan_Tetu

Emi-Yan_Tetu Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 5, 2001
    Get over it you geek.

I think this should be great! I think the unique format will be interesting and could be quite artistic. What do you guys think of Samurai Jack? I've never seen it before.

13. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Samurai Jack is awesome!

I'm glad their using that style of animation for it.I just hope they pick a good timeframe to air it.

14. JKBurtola

JKBurtola Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 4, 2003
    While I do want to see these "shorts" isnt anyone else rather wanting 20 1/2 hr cartoons instead??

Well I think the idea with the 2/3 minutes cartoons is that its quality not quantity thats the issue. Would you rather have 20 cartoons shorts which have a nice neat and tidy storyline that doesn't get boring?
    Or would you rather have 20 1/2hr shows where the creators fail to create enough decent storylines and even recycle old ones?

Besides you shouldn't complain DarthBane93, just be glad you're getting anything. Why are some of the fanboys so bloody typical in that they can't appreciate anything? They'd rather we had nothing, oh wait they'd complain about that too [face_plain]

15. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    ?????

They actually did it? Made a SW Cartoon for today? Damn. Now if only they would make it longer then a couple minutes, like say 30 mins?

16. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I think the 3 minute running times are nice. Imagine how action packed they will be... plus all of them together will be around an hour, and that's certainly better than nothing. I look at it as an extra hour long movie to fill in the gap between Episode II and III. I think this will really work out fine.

17. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Samurai Jack is a very visual and beautiful cartoon, much like Star Wars. If Clone Wars is similar to Jack, it'll be something to behold.

18. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I am not thrilled at the art style -- in fact I hate it -- but what can you do? If the content/story is good, I'm happy.

19. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    If it's anything like Samurai Jack, you may as well start calling him Obikachu and Anikachu and go watch Speed Racer or DragonBallZ. The animation style is horrid. I hate it, too. I have never felt this way about any Star Wars project ever until this. Sorry, but that's how I feel.

20. Alabak

May 21, 2001
    Obikachu and Anikachu

[face_laugh]

I don't agree with you, but that's hillarious. [face_laugh]

21. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    It's okay to disagree, my friend. :)

I look at the wonderful animatics and animation that is available nowadays and it is epic and breathtaking. Samurai Jack is not epic, but more like Speed Racer and so much of the flooded market of Japanese animation. There's nothing special to it. I cannot see how one can include the word 'epic' and 'Samurai Jack animation style' in the same sentence. The idea of 2-3 minutes is absurd. This was such a wonderful opportunity, but it's being done in a manner that I feel does not fill the glory of the Clone Wars we have imagined for 20 years.

22. Alabak

May 21, 2001
    You make a good point Sapient, i to thought that the Clone War cartoon would be more groundbraking, i was actually hoping it was going to resemble the Animatrix.
    But i'm not that bummed with the decision to make it in the Samurai Jack animation style, cause i like Japanese animation.

I agree with you about the whole 2-3 minute thing though, i think it's just plain rediculous. [face_plain]

But hey, it's still gonna beat reading a book right. ;)

23. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I saw a preview the other day at the movies for an upcoming Disney film about some sort of fish under the sea and they're attacked by a whale and things like that. It was stunning and so incredibly done. Think about this, nearly all of the Clone War shots in AotC was digital. And those started off as animatics. Those were what I was hoping for in terms of a cartoon. THAT is spectacular.

24. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    I was hoping for basically anything that was hand-drawn animation. I got it. :)

25. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    I am in the sorely disappointed camp. I was hoping for something a little more leading edge animation style, like anime or Bruce Timm's work.