main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars Theatrical Movie: REACTIONS Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    With The Clone Wars theatrical film upon us, for those who have al;ready seen it, or those about to see it within the next 24 hours and beyond- post your reactions and thoughts here!

NOTE: This tread is not for posting or discussing film critic & movie website reviews of the film- we have a thread for that which can be found here.

Additionally, you can find general discussion of the forthcoming series here.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Saw it at the premier showing about five hours ago, and I must say I was entertained all the way through. The story was simple, and considering it's not an Episode in the saga, I really appreciated that the events in this film wasn't directly connected to the downfall of the Republic and the fate of the galaxy.
    The characters were likable - heck, I even cared for Anakin, and the voice acting was good enough (very nice to hear Christopher Lee, Samuel L Jackson and Anthony Daniels reprising their roles).
    Animation, design and cinematography was awesome, felt very Star Wars, even though it's quite different from all the earlier Star Wars films and shows.
    The action was top notch and gave me more feeling of really watching Star Wars (as in OT) than most of the action in the PT.
    The music was the only thing I really didn't like to be honest. Some tracks were great, like the reworked main theme for example, but a lot of the guitarr music (all of it in fact) was very out of place in my opinion.
    Also, some of the comedy with the droids was... terrible.

Minor spoilers:

The opening with the radio chatter over the Lucasfilm logo that faded to "A long time ago(...)" and the Clone Wars title card to the reworked main theme was bloody marvelous!

End spoilers.

All in all, I walked out of the theater happy, because I really felt that I had watched a new Star Wars film, and that this might be the start of a new era in the galaxy far far away. I'm no prequel trilogy hater, but I must say this film felt more like the OT than both TPM and AOTC did to me.

Can't wait for the show!

3. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    I'll be posting my review in about 5 hours or so! I'll be leaving for the theater shortly and will post when I get back!!

Enjoy the show!!!

4. Froghurt

Froghurt Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 31, 2006
    I LOVED IT!!

Any Star Wars fan should thoroughly enjoy this movie.

I was so entertained for 98mins I can not believe it. I hardly cracked a smile in the prequels at all. In this movie I was laughing out aloud and the action/ fights are what this movie is all about and they were jaw dropping at times.

Dont get me wrong the cheese and corny lines etc are all there but this movioe ROCKS!!!

MORE....!!

5. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    Its great to hear you guys enjoyed it so much. I am so pumped I can't sit still - I'm leaving in an hour for the midnight show :D

Whenever I get up tomorrow (hey, I'll be out all night and have no work all day tomorrow :p) I will post my thoughts.

6. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I am going to see it tomorrow.

Question for anyone who has seen it, is it dark?? I am considering taking my 4 year old son but, not sure if it would be too scary for him or not.

7. Froghurt

Jul 31, 2006

No its not dark. If anything a four year old will be too overwhelmed by the battles etc. The cinema I saw it in it was very LOUD, which made it even more intense.

I cant tell you how much I enjoyed this movie. It was great. i wish they would put all the Clone Wars episodes on the big screen now!!

In terms of ENJOYMENT I came out of thios much more "Wowed" than Episode I & II - Im not saying its a better movie per se. I just got more enjoyment out of it.

8. Darth_Punk

Darth_Punk Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Thanks Froghurt

9. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    He may like the antics of the droids, that was hilarious!

10. Froghurt

Jul 31, 2006
    What about the battle droid to Ventress just after Anakin and Ashoka escape -

"Count Dooku demands an update. Should I tell him they escaped or what?"

Ventress looks at the droid and force throws him off the cliff.

The first time I saw Stinky the Huttlett I lost it. I was not expecting that at all. A tadpole, hilarious.

11. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    I just got back from a midnight screening -- and I LOVED it ... pure Star Wars from start to finish.

I love the way Ahsoka's role was set up, and how Anakin was characterized. The clones and droids were terrific, and the lightsaber duels jumped off the screen.

The screenplay followed an important rule in Star Wars: Where the story could be told with action -- do it.

The story was also MUCH more serious than I imagined: Anakin's past clouded him, and the war sened had an intimacy I never could've imagined in an animated pic.

I also enjoyed the music: The Tatooine scenes seemed to pay homage to Black Hawk Down.

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Gonna post first, then read, so no one else influences my reactions. :p

Loved it! A great, fun flick to sit back and enjoy. Yes, I have a few minor complaints (and I'll get to those), but overall, I enjoyed it.

First, the good stuff:

I loved the interactions between Ahsoka and Anakin. I'm looking forward to seeing more of that in the series.
    I loved the action sequences. Ground combat, dogfighting, and duels were all great.
    I totally loved the Jawa interjections for humor (especially including the after-the-credits Jawas).
    The plot was good, with them actually able to create some dramatic tension, even though nothing tangible is ever really in doubt.
    I loved finally seeing more Hutts. Of course, I'm a big Hutt fan, so that comes as no surprise.

Now, the stuff I didn't enjoy so much:

Some of the droid humor. A little of it was good, but some of it was just over the top and required me to suspend my disbelief even beyond normal Star Wars standards.
    The music. I just have such high standards for Star Wars that this fell way short of that bar.
    Unless I missed it, I don't believe anyone said "I have a bad feeling about this". But at least they mixed in "This is where the fun begins"
    Ahsoka looks waaaaaaaaay too advanced to be a just-taken-upon Padawan learner. Shaak Ti and Obi-Wan had greater struggles against Magna Droids!

Still, all-in-all, I really enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to my next viewing on Saturday!

13. DarExc

DarExc Jedi Master star 1

Jan 27, 2002
    This is the first one I walked out really disappointed with. There were too many times you had to turn off your brain and obvious holes in the story. It was just a large promotion for the show. There were only 20 people in the only theatre showing it too, for Episode 3 it was packed and there were at least 10 theatres showing it. I hope it's not the end because it would be going out on a wimper. The big question though, what the hell was with Jabba's "Uncle".

14. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    Also just got back from the midnight screening. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised as to how well I enjoyed the film. It actually did feel like Star Wars, both the PT and the OT.

Spoilers Below

As it has been stated before the intro does not begin with an opening crawl. It's definitely awkward not seeing the 20th Century Fox logo, but you get past it fairly quickly. The modified version of the main theme is done well and fits the movie perfectly. I purchased the soundtrack a couple of days ago and upon first listen, gave it a 5 out of 10. After a second listen it went up to 6.5. After seeing the film, I liked it even more. The soundtrack fits the film well and definitely contributes to the feel of a Star Wars film.

Ahsoka is a very likeable character and I didn't have a problem with anything. The banter between her and Anakin is somewhat reminiscent of the banter between Han and Leia. Obi-Wan was played pretty well to his character and he wasn't out of place at all. Mace Windu was in a few scenes but then he just disappears which was a bit odd. With Yoda, I'm sorry to say that I had a hard time getting past the voice. No offense to Tom Kane, but Frank Oz is Yoda. Palpatine is ok and I'm glad he wasn't in much of the film. Dooku also feels like Dooku and its greatly helped thanks to Christopher Lee. Assajj is an interesting character that I'm looking forward to see being more developed. Jabba...well he's Jabba. Even though he was CGI, it was definitely Jabba. That leads me to his uncle, Ziro the Hutt. In my opinion he was by far the worst character in the movie. I cringed a little bit every time he spoke. Truman Capote? You betcha. And I don't have anything against gay people, in fact several of my family members are gay, but his voice seemed very out of place. I'm wishing that they had stuck with the original plan and didn't have him speak English. I did NOT like the scenes that he was in. Padme is also well played and the character feels like her. The droids are excellent and their humor is light and swift which makes it very enjoyable.

I thought the battles were all superbly done. They felt EPIC on screen and you got a real sense of the "clone wars" after seeing them. The animation was a bit hokey at times and the lip-syncs on most of the characters was WAY off.

All in all this film was fun. It wasn't great, but it was pretty good. I could get past the fact that Ahsoka kept calling Anakin "Skyguy" and they kept calling Jabba's son "stinky" but I really couldn't get past Ziro. Nevertheless, it was FAR better than what I was expecting especially after reading some of the reviews. Like I stated above it felt like a Star Wars movie and it was a good ride. If nothing else, it was just another chance to see a Star Wars movie in theaters with a bunch of crazy fanboys and girls! I recommend the film to anyone who is looking for fun and excitement!

15. AT7

AT7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2000
    loved it :)

Definitely the most *fun* the Prequel Era has given us.

Nice little EU nods for the very observant ;)

astro

16. PowerBook86

PowerBook86 Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2004
    I didn't find the droid humor too bad, I actually enjoyed most of it. In our theater (mostly young adults and older) were laughing at those segments. One of my main concerns in the movie was that since most of the main characters live on there isn't much suspense during a duel. I mean you know Obiwan lives on, so he's not going to die. However I admit the fight between Anakin and Dooku was great since you got to see some neat force attacks. I would of liked to see some more force attacks, maybe more to come later?

I as disappointed to find that Mace and Yoda didn't do too much. I was expecting Yoda to hop in and save the day, oh well. Maybe we can see more of that later? In the 2D series there was a little of it at least. I agree with you about Ashoka, she does seem too far advanced in battle. She didn't even struggle in the beginning, so that was a bit off-putting, especially if she was technically a youngling. I don't know when I think of youngling I think of the kids in Episode II.

Ziro was just... bleh, I think I would rather put up with Jar Jar. I cringed at that thing. The battles were fantastic though, they really felt right out of a movie. The voice acting was pretty well done. I wasn't too thrilled with the nicknames, I think they were overused a bit, like Ahoka's. Splits was it?

Overall yes, it was enjoyable and better than I expected, but it could of been a bit better, it seemed to drag on a bit long for me. I realize it is geared towards a younger audience, I guess I was just expecting more. Still it was fun, I really enjoyed the animation, although some movements seemed a bit stiff at times. However I'd love to see an animated version of Shadows of the Empire in this style, now that would be fantastic. :)

Oh, and stay until after the end credits if you want to see a little animated Lucasfilm Animation logo!

17. Anakin_Darth

Anakin_Darth Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Amazing movie!

Just got back from a midnight showing - the line up was awesome, myself and my girlfriend made some nice new friends along the way.

I have to say, it was THE best movie this summer, and a great addition to the Saga. I must see it again!=D=

18. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Despite the fact that I knew this going in, I managed to totally forget that the movie was supposed to set up the series this fall. :oops: And what I knew about the events going into it can be summed up with: "Jabba's son is kidnapped, Jedi have to rescue him." That's it. Hence, Ahsoka shows up, says she's Anakin's padawan, and I lean over and whisper to a friend right next to me "she's gonna die" and manage to convince myself of this enough that I didn't even think about her being the focus of the series. Clearly, too into it :p :oops:

At least I went into it with the perspective of it would be comedy, which it really was. Good comedy, but comedy.

So, reactions:

Music: I liked having some of the original music in there, such as the opening, and Binary Sunset, but the rest of it fell way short. Even the production of the original music wasn't quite up to par.
    Ahsoka: Interesting character, though I have a hard time buying her being as good as she is (were it not an official production I would start thinking "Mary Sue"). Hilarious interaction with Anakin ("Skyguy"??)
    Action scenes were very well done.
    Jawas: A nice touch of extra comedy
    Droid Humor: Perhaps a bit overdone, but it was hilarious - and looking at it like a comedy, it all fit.
    "A Cloudy Day on Tatooine". 'Nuff said.
    Nice soon-to-be-Imperial uniforms on the naval officers :)
    Ziro the Hutt was... well, odd. Given what we know of Hutts and this protrayal, why wasn't Ziro just considered a "she"?
    Jabba seemed to be well in character, though, he was done well
    Stinky the Hutt(ling), as he will be known, was hilarious. Especially the first time you see him :p

That's just what I remember off the top of my head. All in all, I definitely enjoyed it and look forward to seeing it again. Not sure if I'll get another chance though, before it goes to DVD.

19. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Rogue, your mentioning of Jabba reminded me of the one thing I cringed at most, but forgot to mention above.

While I loved 99% of the Jabba, the reference to his son as his "punkee" (or whatever) just made me cringe.

The great and mighty Jabba does not use such words. :p

20. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    Movie is somewhat Disappointing, I thought there would be more SUSPENSE.

However, it's still overall a cool movie. Anoka is Cute and Brainy, she is lovable IMO. I actually LIKE her, unlike some people.

What I don't like OTHER than suspense factor, has got to be the Music. Without John Williams SW music in Full force, it just didn't feel right.

21. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh, that. I'd managed to push that out of my mind, thanks for reminding me. Still don't remember exactly what it was he called him... but I had a mini-gag inside when he said that.

No, Jabba should not have said that. Otherwise, though, excellent Jabba :p

22. UltimateJustin

UltimateJustin Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2005
    I just got back from a midnight showing here. I thought it was pretty bad. The characters all mostly looked goofy and would have worked just as well if they were replaced by the marshmellow cereal peices or gummi fruit snacks of a Star Wars licensed food product. They take Ashoka too far. "Nerfherder" and "highness-ness" might be questionable terms of endearment, but "Sky Guy" just sounds like something Joss Whedon would think is clever, i.e. vomit-inducingly bad dialouge. I mean, why does she have to try so hard? Dialouge like that would be like in Empire having Captain Solo say "come on Princess, give me a quick Han-Job" But I guess it wasn't that bad for an animated pilot, so take it for what it's worth.

Sneak into the theater and bring a ton of snacks.

23. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    Everybody has their tastes, and this is something I never thought I'd say off the bat walking out of this movie:

I genuinely hated it. I walked into the movie expecting very little, and was hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but much to my dismay, said surprise never arrived.

The following complaints are all my opinion, obviously, to feel free to call me out on any of this.

1) The voice acting, even for a kid's film, was extremely weak. With the exception of Dooku and Asajj, the main characters really just did not do a convincing job of the universe they were interacting in. It felt more like they were reading off the script for the first time. I'm a fan of the VA of Obi-Wan from the other media he's done, but it annoyed me that the majority of the time, his tone was exactly the same.

2) The plot was too sloppily-paced, from my perspective. Sure, the pacing wasn't all terrible, but several scenes were drawn out for too long (the second half of Christophsis fighting), and some too quick (Huttlet being sick onboard Asajj's ship, refusing to take the capsule, agreeing to take the capsule, and immediately healing happened in a 9 second window). Again, even for a kid's movie, there were too many things going on at once, with the exception that we had to be reminded that Jabba's son was kidnapped several times.

3) The animation left a lot to be desired. While I'm a lowly comic artist myself, I have a deep appreciation for animation. A lot of it felt extremely stiff and . While I AM a huge fan of the painterly style they chose for the aesthetics of the movie (LOVED the texturing), I felt a lot was left to be desired with the believability of physical weight for these characters, and a lot of their movements. The action was impressive, although the quieter moments were almost unbelievable in comparison. Anakin and Ahsoka walking towards the shield generator come to mind. Also, The lightsaber duels were so quick between strike to strike that it was hard to follow it, even with the long pauses between each volley of strikes. In addition, it really bugged me that in many of the clonetrooper shots, (not counting close-ups), many of the clonetroopers had no recoil from their rifles when firing. This is probably nitpicking, but it's not a detail that went overlooked in the past Star Wars films (Hell, even in Genndy's series).

4) Too many moments that were involuntarily funny. Just about every line out of Ziro's mouth caused an embarrassing laughter from the crowd, and I can understand why. Not sure what the thought process behind him was.

Again, I'm not shoving my opinion down anyone's throat. There were few qualities of the movie that I did like (most notably, the soundtrack), but this just did not feel like a Star Wars film to me. I'd much rather have enjoyed this movie as 4 episodes than losing $10 on a disappointing film.

24. OhNoChuck

OhNoChuck Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2008
    I've often browsed this forum, but I've never joined because there is usually already someone voicing my opinions. I finally had to join though, because, to my amazement, no one is bashing this film. I was expecting maybe a handful of defenders, but instead I find myself in the minority.

Edit: A few posts happened while I wrote this; maybe I'm not in the minority anymore.

I am really surprised Star Wars fans liked this; it was of unprecedented horribleness even by Prequel standards; even by cartoon standards. I saw it with 10 or so friends, several of whom are huge Star Wars fans, and we were laughing out loud through most of the film. The beginning moved way too fast, and confused me, so I imagine it would confuse this film's target audience. The first thing I noticed was the opening crawl was replaced by THE ANNOUNCER FROM THE POWERPUFF GIRLS. The only thing I can honestly say I liked was Jabba's son, just because of how cute he was.

What was up with Jabba's "uncle?" Hutt's are hermaphrodites; the gender they are referred to is purely up to them, so why didn't this one choose to be referred to as a female? If you haven't seen it yet, this is Truman Capote in Hutt form.

The music was horrible. Overdriven guitars and saxophone solos do not belong in Star Wars.

Why did Anakin refer to his Padawan as "Snips?" No one I saw it with could come up with an answer for that. Did I miss something?

Maybe I'd love this movie if my age was in the single digits, which I'm sure was the target audience, but this really is a low point in the Star Wars franchise. I despise the entire Prequel series, so obviously I'm a bit biased, but I really feel they could have made a decent, and still kid-friendly, animated movie out of the beloved original characters, perhaps Shadows of the Empire.

If you're bringing a child, I'm sure they'll love it. If you love to laugh at horrible movies like Transformers and TMNT, you'll have field day. But if you're expecting anything remotely serious or well-made, you will be disappointed. This is even worse than the other prequel movies.

Edit: I don't think I need to mention the horrible script and stiff acting; these should be taken for granted after the last decade of material to come out of Lucasfilm, besides Kingdom of the Crystal Skull of course. I actually loved that.

25. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    Just got back from the midnight showing, and I simply LOVED it. The story was basic, but enjoyable and "important" without being too big. It did not overshadow the live action films, which was awesome. Anakin is such a hero in the film, I loved to LOVE him this time, instead of hate him like in RotS...which made me really sad to think what happens to him. Ahsoka was great, I had my doubts about her but she was fine and actually very lovable, as were all the characters you would expect.

The animation and overall look of the film is great. It flows so nicely together, and fits so well with the Star Wars universe. The writing was superb and I actually thought the droid humor was hilarious...I usually don't so much. I chuckled quite a few times, and never cringed. It was awesome. The standout, in my opinion, was the music. I'd listened to the score a few times through this week, but hearing it with the film was what made me absolutely love it. Worked so well.

Overall, the movie left me feeling happy, entertained, and above all else, wanting so much more. I thank God and George that there are many, many more episodes to come. I haven't felt this good about Star Wars since Revenge of the Sith blew me away.

PS - There were some people behind me that, ahem, felt differently than I did. While my friends and I spoke about how awesome the film was, they were spouting off about billing Lucas for their hour and a half wasted, and they wanted to find the manager to get their money back, saying that it was the worst thing since the Holiday Special. Walking out of the theatre, I cast a sort of "What the crap are you talking about?!" look at them, and the girl said "Oh - did you guys like it?" I said "Yes, yes we did...a lot." She said "Oh. Well. We didn't. I guess I just expected more." And I said "Well that seems to be the problem with Star Wars fans these days." Blah. I loved it though, LOVED, and will be seeing it again tomorrow hopefully.

whostheBossk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.