main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars Theatrical Movie: REACTIONS Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    I totally agree on that. I thought it was humorous to call him "stinky". However, it would work better if used sparingly. If they'd used it once or twice it would have worked as well as leia calling chewbacca a "walking carpet" or han saying "laugh it up fuzz ball". Instead, they did kind of pile drive it into the ground.

I feel the same way about the sky guy, snips, and artooie situations. Use each of them once or twice and it's actually kind of funny and endearing, but when you use them every 5 minutes it gets annoying really fast.

Those subtle changes could have made a difference. You know, I wonder if this was a by-product of stringing these 3-4 episodes into a 90 minute feature. If they were presereved as 22 minute tv shows, you probably would have only heard the nicknames once or twice per episode which might not be too grating. However, when they are strung together, it becomes more glaring.

2. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    My point is that, 1) Not all Teens are disrespectful loudmouths, and 2) I simply can't imagine that anybody being raised in the Jedi Temple with such an upbringing could show such disrespect to their Master.

If this were a Saga movie or an EU novel I would agree, but you're forgetting something -- the audience. It was clear to me that TCW is geared towards a younger audience. It has the Saturday morning action adventure feel to it. Ahsoka fits well within the context of this. It's not something that's going to go over well with older fans, myself included, but I really don't think her character was created for us. This is SW for the next generation of kids\teens. Now, sure, its got fun stuff that we fans, older one's too, can enjoy (familiar characters, lots of battles and saber duels, etc...), but we're not the target audience here, I don't think.

3. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    The Grevious intro worked better in ROTS because they explained who he is and the exact nature of his role right away. Ventress in TCW was a little unclear. Is she a Sith? Is she not? It took them almost an hour to finally say she is Dooku's assassin.

I guess she fills the role Dooku wanted Obi-wan to have when he tried to sway him in AOTC.

4. Darkseid-Lives

Darkseid-Lives Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2008
    I'm seeing TCW this afternoon.
    Sounds like the biggest problem here is that it's three episodes strung together. Pacing problems, repetition etc.
    I'll post my review tonite or tomorrow.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Isn't all you need to know about Ventress is that she's obviously bad, carries lightsabers, and works for Dooku? [face_batting]

6. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Yoda: "You are reckless!"
    Obi-Wan: "So was I, if you'll recall."

7. Slobbing Rudyard

Slobbing Rudyard Jedi Master star 1

May 21, 2003
    I was disappointed. Didn't have overly high expectations, but I found it annoying in a few places and far too childish. Ahsoka was too cocky (and far too good for a newbie in battle) - ability almost seemed on a par with Anakin for much of the film. Ridiculous. Hated the childish sniping banter. Also felt the jokes fell flat and hated the way they tried to make the droids come across as bufoons. Appreciate the series is aimed at kids, but doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm 31 - would be interested to see what proportion of folks who grew up with the OT enjoyed this.

Overall: Underwhelmed.

8. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    interesting question.

I grew up with the OT and I loved this.

9. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    Wow!!

What a difference a second screening can make. It happened earlier this year with Indy and probably would have happened with TDK, if i had gone back to see it again.

After seeing TCW a second time this afternoon, I can now recommend this movie wholeheartedly and without hestitation. Yes, the feel is different from the saga, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I needed that first screening to adjust to the new look and feel. This time i was able to enjoy the ride and begin to appreciate the subtleties in characterization.

I'm a relative oldster too at 38... but i never grew up!:-B Somehow the cuter elements of the movies (and they've all had them) have never offended me. I actually find Ahsoka to be an engaging character and enjoyed her banter with Anakin. They almost gave off a Han & Leia vibe for me! Their relationship has been cast as the basic crux or arc of the series, and i am now EXTREMELY excited about the possibilities!!

10. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    I'm just saying it was confusing because Lucas had already established a rule of two. Grevious was a droid so it was a little easier to buy into.

11. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I dunno, TCW was obviously more in media res, like ANH. No introduction into what was going on, really, besides the brief voiceover.

I agree that Ahsoka was overall too powerful, but I think the way she handled the 3 IG-100 Droids was fairly realistic.

12. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    I think the use/revelation of Asajj played nicely into the Sith's attempts to confuse or mislead the Jedi. If they sense Dooku is a Sith lord, Asajj's presence might cause them to believe Dooku is the master and Asajj the apprentice, thus keeping a low profile for Sidious.

13. KelDorMaster

KelDorMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    Grievous isn't a droid. They proved that with his eyes and organs.

And Ventress doesn't break the Rule of Two because she isn't a Sith, as explained by the previous Clone Wars animations.

14. maderic

maderic Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    No. It's just uncharacteristic for the Hutts. Furthermore, making him sound...like that...was among the worst creative decisions Lucasfilm has ever done.

No, it's not that. The time for the Clone Wars being relevant to the story has passed. This should've been done between 2002 and 2005. Attention has shifted, because of ROTS, to between III and IV.

You don't get it. The opening scroll is synonymous with Star Wars. It is just as much a part of the films as lightsabers and Jedi Knights. Furthermore, the story of TCW is not comparable to that of ANH and to do so is laughable. Episode IV has the most simplistic plot of the six films, but it's still leagues ahead of the childish simplicity of TCW's storyline.

No, that's not at all what I wanted. Don't start presuming stuff like that. I wanted good quality CGI because I know they're capable of it. I am fine with the screenwriting and direction of the prequels because I think those are great movies. The Clone Wars is not a good movie. Is it asking for too much to wish they had tried harder?

That's the kind of attitude that doesn't need to be there. This black-or-white "you have to like it or you hate Star Wars nonsense" that I'm seeing more and more of.

And the Ventress thing... they gave an explanation for Grievous in ROTS. "In a stunning move, the fiendish droid leader, General Grievous, has swept into the Republic capital..." What more do you need? I must've missed, though, when they refer to her as Dooku's assassin in TCW.

15. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    What basis for comparaison do we have? They have never really shown a new padawan but we assume that they are somehow inept. The movies and other material show us that force powers vary so who is to say she isnt a power telekentic but lacks in the area of force vision or healing. In ANH Luke is the son of the chosen one and new to the force but he does feel the loss of Alderan like Obi-wan does. I think the standards are so mixed across the board that you cant really judge for sure. As for fighting ability perhaps she is a prodigy and has nearly mastered a form and that could explain it but we dont know. They hit the ground running and the backstory could be fleshed out later.

Just as a side question not related to this response who ever said Clone Wars was going to be a Saturday morning cartoon? Do they even have those anymore?Last time I checked NBC had a teenage show line-up, ABC turned their block into DIsney time and CBS sold thiers to Nick. I thought is was going to be a primetime series something like CN's Tonami and everyone keeps refering to it as a Saturday morning cartoon.

16. Thorn058

Jul 28, 2008
    So then by your standards as applied to the crawl the GT clone wars series was not true Star Wars because it lacked it or do we make exceptions due to time constraints. Lack of a crawl didn't make it less Star Wars for me, two seconds after the movietone news reel homage started I got what they trying for

CGI what do you want? I have seen the movie three times and have been blown away by the amount of detail in every frame, the trailing shot of the Accalamator Class Star Destoryer was on par with what was seen in the originals films. The detail in some of the Close up shots of Ventress were stunning. The compositing for the desert scenes were beautiful. Yes the character models may not have been what everyone wanted but they had a certain style in mind and said they weren't going for the photorealistic look.

Storylines: Clone Wars-Jedi must rescue Jabba's kidnapped son while battling armys of droids, Sith and dark side assasins in order to secure supply lines to thier most valuable resource thier clone army. Along the way they make new friends and face obstacles along the way.

A new Hope: One old aging warrior and a young farmboy must rescue a kidnapped princess and deliver plans that can help stop a devesta

17. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Way more machine than man, though. And at first he looked like a droid to me.

Exactly! I'm saying what if you hadn't seen the previous CW animations?

18. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    They already know about Sidious. Dooku told Obi-wan and at some point prior to ROTS Obi-wan and Anakin go hunting for him.

19. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Agree about Ahsoka, but I thought Artoo got punked. I kept waiting for him to pop up and help her with one of his gadgets. It would have been a nice "brave R2" moment.

Difference between ANH and this is we didn't have anything before it. With TCW we had TPM and AOTC going into it, plus the knowledge of what's to come with ROTS. And it was a bit jarring, IMO, that not only does Anakin get an apprentice -- even though I knew that -- we also have this new is she/isn't she a Sith who it takes an hour to find out what she is exactly.

20. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Ah, but I think maderic backs up his opinions quite well. Many fans didn't like the lack of crawl, the music, the overall quality of the animation.

Ziro was undoubtedly a bizarre choice, though having him speak Basic was saved somewhat by the fact that he speaks Huttese to Jabba later in the movie. It makes sense that he speaks Basic b/c he lives on Coruscant.

21. TheGallifreianSith

TheGallifreianSith Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2008
    Went into it expecting less than what we got. My son (5) loved it, I loved it. It was a fun little movie, and Ahsoka didn't annoy me at all-- as I had read she had some others. The music seemed "off" when I first heard, but it's actually quite good. Might actually take my son back to see it over the weekend or next week.

22. Thorn058

Jul 28, 2008
    Yes he does back up his opinions and that is why I said I hope it isn't viewed as an attack. The whole crawl nonsense is begining to sound like a Budwieser commercial. It just isn't Star Wars with out the cool clean refreshing taste of Budwieser. Everytime some one says it is an integral part of what Sat Wars is, I keep looking for an animated Stork telling me that I need a valisic pickle to make it a Star Wars movie. The crawl is something so laughable to get hung up on. the music again would I like some strong stirring John Williams sure but the composer wanted to distance himself a bit from that because lets face it can you ever live up to John Williams anyone who does music for a Star Wars film, cartoon or media event is going to have a huge shadow to live in. As far as animation goes what was everyone expecting? I mean give some frame of reference. Right now if you look at CN, Nick or Disney the only real 3D cartoons are what Jimmy Nuetron? So what is the standard for quality animation? I mean if you are expecting a budget of 25-30 million on just the first three episodes then you are going to go broke before you finish a typical 18 episode run. But I think at the 2-3 million mark they did a heck of a job. so i guess i just would like to know what the expectations were? Did people think that after they decided to release to the big screen they would scrap the footage and then Lucasize it for the theatrical release?

23. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Funny you should mention that, because there were numerous times where I thought, "Boy, I wish they would've hired the Jimmy Neutron people to give this show some humor that was actually funny or some consistently engaging characters." Talk about a "kids' show" that puts plenty of stuff in for older viewers!

Each character had his/her moments, but with the exception of Dooku (and perhaps Ventress) none of the voice actors delivered good performances from start to finish. The guy doing all the clones came close, though.

Obviously TCW has just about any other show beat as far as what they're able to do on a technical level. But Clone Wars show that matched Jimmy Neutron for wit and characterization would be truly amazing.

24. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Wow, Dustin, surprised you liked Obi-Wan's voice. His seemed like one of the worse ones to me! Of course, it might have just been the fact that at times he seemed out of character, so I had trouble believing he would say some of the things he said. Obi-Wan just wasn't himself. I read a little bit of the novelization before seeing it and remember thinking to myself, "wow, Traviss does hate Jedi, because she's writing Obi-Wan totally wrong," and then I found out she was actually being true to the movie. :p

I think I need to see it again. I can't really think of good examples now of lines of his that seemed wrong to me, but I know there were several.

25. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Well, maybe part of the reason is that I read a bunch of people thought his voice was really off. Halfway through, I told my wife "I think the guy does a great Ewan impression", and she totally agreed.

Really, we saw a *mischevious* Obi-Wan Kenobi who we saw in ANH, and only in brief moments in TPM and ROTS. I thought he was fantastic, him and Rex were the most consistent hero characters. He seemed very similar to the ROTS Obi-Wan to me.

There were a couple of lines that were awkward, but I thought that was more the script than the voice actor. If this is the same guy that did Obi-Wan in Genndy's CW, then he's come a long way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.