main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars Theatrical Movie: REACTIONS Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangooner

Dangooner Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2006
    Hey everyone

With all the mixed reviews the film has got, it's great to see a lot of you enjoyed it as well. But when I talk to people about it, it just seems I'm always having to defend the film.

I posted the following on another Star Wars forum, in defence of the film, so thought I would share my thoughts here, if that's ok?

I've seen it twice (so far!) and have to say I love it. I think it's brilliant.

After reading the mostly negative reviews I wasn't expecting much, but I think that actually helped in a way. Sure, it wasn't 100% perfect, but overall I enjoyed it more then Episodes I and II.

Like others have mentioned, the Anakin in The Clone Wars is a far better character overall then in Episodes I - III. It's a shame he wasn't more like this in the films. I think the whole Clone Wars series will make us see Anakin in a new light. After leaving the cinema, it certainly made me think more about he's downfall.

I thought the animation was great, and the battle scenes blew me away, same as the lightsaber duels. The battle scenes are up there with some of the best from the films.

There have been complaints by some fans that it's too kiddie friendly, but I don't think it is. It's quite brutal seeing all the clones being killed (one scene where a battle droid picks up a clone and shoots him point-blank in the stomach isn't what I call child-friendly!); the heads of the bounty hunters in Jabba's palace; and the noise of the sand people when Ashoka is asking Anakin about going home.

I don't know what some people were expecting from this film, and I think people forget this was never originally intended to be on the big screen. This was done at a fraction of the cost of a Pixar film, and I think it holds up pretty well. If this is going to be the level of quality we get every week, then I for one can't wait.

Ashoka as a character grew on me as well. However, not so sure about her nicknames for people, again like other forum members have said. Saying that, I didn't mind Anakin's nickname for her.

Rex is a great character and I look forward to seeing more of him. Really liked the overall voice acting, and the character voices grew on me really quickly too.

Ok, trying to keep this brief but not working!

If you like Star Wars, then go and see it. I think it would be a shame for fans just to wait for the DVD to come out, as it wouldn't do the battle scenes any justice. Saying that, I do think a lot of people will wait for the DVD, rather then going to the cinema, which as I've said is a shame. Hope that makes sense?

So, 8/10 for me. And yep, I'll be seeing again!

Thanks for reading/listing!

And very quickly, I may be a newbie but I've been reading the board and theforce.net for years now (my earliest childhood memory is watching Star Wars!) and it's great, everyone seems really friendly.

2. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    In AOTC? Dooku told Obi-wan a Sith Lord was in charge of the Senate, but didn't name him. Obi-wan didn't believe him anyway.

For Sidious specifically, but not Palpatine. That may be an EU thing, which i wouldn't likely be familiar with. I just got my first SW comics in years just last night!

3. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    I just watched AOTC this week. I'm almost positive that Dooku says something like, "what if I were to tell you that hundreds of senators are under the control of a sith lord named darth sidious." Then, he goes on to say, "the trade federation was once in league with this darth sidious before he betrayed them."

I'm pretty sure it's something like that.

4. DVCPRO-HDeditor

DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    That line of thinking has been established as correct.

If I'm not mistaken, Yoda didn't believe Obi-Wan's report, saying "Become unreliable, Dooku has. Joined the dark side. Lies, deceit, creating mistrust are his ways now." So it is plausible that, up until a later point (the so-called "Search for Darth Sidious"), the Jedi would believe that Ventress was Dooku's Sith apprentice.

Right-ee-oh! It wasn't until Palpatine revealed himself to Anakin that the Jedi actually knew him to be the Dark Lord. They knew Sidious was likely to be someone in Palpatine's inner circle, probably manipulating the Chancellor into doing their bidding.

Palpatine set up his own kidnapping in the original CW cartoons to lure Obi-Wan and Anakin (primarily Anakin) onto The Invisible Hand, where Palps planned on having Anakin kill Dooku and leave Obi-Wan behind to die in the wreckage, setting him up perfectly to become the next Sith apprentice.

It's all a really beautifully constructed and orchestrated plan. Ventress is key, however, to keeping the Jedi blinded to discovering the real Dark Lord of the Sith.

5. DARTH_CHEF

DARTH_CHEF Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2008
    Did anyone read this review? I think she made it sound more interesting then it really was.

6. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    What review?

And what about it wasn't interesting?

7. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The rule of two isn't so much a rule or a code the Sith follow but rather the natural result of the Sith philosophy. They crave power and inherently distrust each other, so an equilibrium can only be reached if there is one master and one apprentice.

8. Grievous

Grievous Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2003
    I managed to catch CW on Monday and I really enjoyed myself. For not thinking I'd be a fan of the animation, as it turns out I liked it quite a bit. The voice cast wasn't as good as the real actors but it worked alright. The droid humor throughout was funny. The battles were also pretty impressive. Not sure what critics are complaining over. Seems they want to hate anything George Lucas does. Silly. Looking forward to the series on Cartoon Network. This CW has that 'Star Wars feeling' that the other CW was lacking IMHO. Anyway, it was cool. [face_peace]

9. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Right. I get it. I'm just saying it was a little complicated and I don't like having to know all that on viewing a film. I still liked it, don't get me wrong, but that was my reaction and I'm entitled to it. :)

Oh, and just because I said they know about Sidious doesn't mean that I said they know Sidious is Palpy until that point in ROTS when he tells Anakin the truth.

I do like the idea that Sidious is using Ventress to throw the Jedi off his track. Seems very logical for his to do that. Would be interesting to see what happens if the Jedi capture Ventress...

10. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    OMG I LOVED THIS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!! Okay, so I am a SW fanatic, admittedly and to get another work so closely associated with GL on SW during my favorite era (well I love the Darth Vader era as much I admit) - was AWESOME. This film was wicked - battles galore, new characters that didn't bother me at all, wonderful rendering, that old SW humor tossed in, Anakin and Obi-Wan, Yoda and Mace CANON! OMG CANON! I have been so disheartened by the EU I was ready to cry, literally cry at what I just knew GL meant for these people to actually be like - and they were! So nose in the air to the EU nonsense!! HAHA...been waiting to say that for years (although I'll still read everything that comes out in EU, albeit complaining, lol.)

The CGI I guess is not comparable to other animations that have come out, but I couldn't care less, the subject matter whomped everything else hands down. And for me, the expressions and ideas were captured perfectly. The music was awesome because while remixes and such they hit home runs by doing it in a way that made the original score come in and give you chills at all the right moments.

My buddy was a little peeved that the little girl showed up Anakin a little - but I wasn't. I mean we all know the hero with no fear was awesome, right? So she has some good ideas, cool, she's awesome too. And not always, so that was kick. And Anakin did the same to Obi-Wan when young all those times he saved his life and such - and hence they have a strong bond. So its all good.

What else? I don't know, I am still so enthralled I can hardly talk about it. I can't wait for the TV series to continue, tho I wish they'd switch the whole thing over to the big screen in blocks - it was just awesome that way. The sounds, size, and all - and honestly my home system is pretty much "suck" so---but I digress. I found the dialogue totally SW and I loved that, realizing that if it were any different, I wouldn't. Sure it aint Shakespeare, but it is coolio Radio Drama style - old Flash Gordon HO! I loved it. The scenes and costuming, the focus, etc, all dynamic.

Oh and relationships like Anakin/Padme have never interested me much. I mean they are cool and all and a nice part to the storyline, but I am not a big fan of lovey dovey stuff. But even I was totally thrown by that final scene where Anakin and the Senator share a look - what a great job of filming with CGI, so brilliantly done it even managed to move me and that kind of stuff hardly ever does.

And I liked little Squiddy too, baby Jabba! HAHA, great one. I was totally unspoiled for this, so it was just...just...awesome in every way possible. I sincerely have not one negative thing to say about it except: IT WAS TOO DAMN SHORT AND I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED MORE!!!!!! I LOVE STAR WARS TO DEATH!!!! MAY THE DREAM NEVER DIE! and May the Force be with everyone who made it through my rambling admiration for another WONDERFUL film from Lucas. *Bows deeply to the Master*. (Yes I am one who felt ALL SIX movies were awesome! A diehard to the end and VERY proud of it!)

I shall see it again of course (did I mention I've already seen it twice?), and then watch the DVD till it breaks and buy it again!

11. Ulic QelDroma

Ulic QelDroma Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 1999
    Saw it for the second time this morning - good first time ... even better second!

Quick question - in the movie does Palpatine know about Dooku's apprentice, Ventress?

I only ask because in her bio on the official site it says - If Dooku's master, the terrifying Darth Sidious, ever finds out about her "education", the consequences will be dire for both teacher and student.

help me obi-wan kenobi, you're my only hope!

12. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I like the idea that Ventress is a secret, but I find that hard to believe. If the Jedi know about her, surely they have passed this info on to Palpatine.

Also, in the GT cartoon Sidious observes her holographically and discusses her.

13. DARTH_CHEF

DARTH_CHEF Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2008
    Dammit I forgot the link:

http://valeriewriter.wordpress.com

I loved CW, this girl just totally misses the point of it so I thought it was funny

14. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    but doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm 31 - would be interested to see what proportion of folks who grew up with the OT enjoyed this.

I grew up with the OT, and thought it was OK. But really, to me there are two SWs: The O-OT and the Saga. I was judging this movie by Saga standards, and thought it fit pretty well for a TV show (a little underwhelming for a theatrical movies, mainly because of the visuals).

I dunno, TCW was obviously more in media res, like ANH. No introduction into what was going on, really, besides the brief voiceover.

If you were to write out the dialogue of the voice-over and scroll it across the screen -- same difference. They just did a voice over this time.

15. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    I take that as if Sidious ever finds out that Dooku is teaching her actual sith secrets rather than just simple dark side powers, there will be consequences.

Based on what we've seen already, we know that Sidious is aware of her and I can only assume that he knows that she wields a lightsaber and can use the force. I think that Dooku must be teaching her secrets that only the sith should know so that he'd have an apprentice in case he ever decides to overthrow his master and that's where the problem lies.

It's well established that the sith can have assasins and servents who are trained in the dark side, but they like to keep them at arms distance and don't want them to become too powerful.

16. Ulic QelDroma

Feb 10, 1999
    stormcloud8 - I guess you're right. Palpatine would surely find out about her from the Jedi.

Also, in the GT cartoon Sidious observes her holographically and discusses her.

GT clone wars aside, maybe Sidious keeps the fact he knows about Dooku's apprentice a secret from him. Basically, as soon as Dooku started training Ventress he's sealed his doom! Sidious orchestrates his death at the hands of his nex apprentice, Anakin.

However, now I think about it I'm sure he also appears to Ventress in hologram form in the new CW movie.

I'm confused - either:
    1) Ventress is Dooku's secret apprentice
    2) Sidious knows about her and allows Dooku his apprentice
    3) Sidious knows about her but is unaware of her "education"

Can anyone shed some light on this?

17. Ulic QelDroma

Feb 10, 1999
    superstardestroyer-1 - just read your post - Thanks! :)

"Based on what we've seen already, we know that Sidious is aware of her and I can only assume that he knows that she wields a lightsaber and can use the force. I think that Dooku must be teaching her secrets that only the sith should know so that he'd have an apprentice in case he ever decides to overthrow his master and that's where the problem lies."

I wonder if she'll ever be able to throw Sith lightning?

18. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Sidious def. knows about her. There is a scene in the movie where she is talking to Dooku via hologram and then Sidious pops up (also via hologram) and she gets all worried, bows before him and calls him "Master" and such.

Also, in one of the future episodes I got to see at SDCC, Dooku and Sidious have a conversation about her abilities to get the job done properly. They are still upset with her failure at having bungled the Jabba plot, it would seem.

I'm willing to bet that Sidious knows about her, but she is factoring in on his overall plans. For clarity's sake, I would like to see the Jedi address this. They should say so is Dooku the master and she's the apprentice Sith? Are the Sith still following the rule of two? Could there be three of them if what Dooku said about Sidious is true? They should say there may be more Sith out there or more dark siders just so that if they do show up it's not in contradiction to what Yoda says about the Sith in TPM.

19. Ulic QelDroma

Feb 10, 1999
    So, it would seem that there can only be two Sith - a master and an apprentice - but, there can be any number of "potential" apprentices is waiting (Ventress, Luke, etc.)

I'd like to have seen Ventress lose someting in her encounter with Anakin/Kenobi. After all, she's an apprentice out to prove herself worthy of the Sith title.

Obi-Wan lost his friend and master Qui-Gon in his battle with Maul; Anakin lost an arm in his battle with Dooku; Luke lost a hand in his battle with Vader; Ventress ... so far ... only lost her pride. Probably a big deal for a Sith!

20. jedieb

jedieb Jedi Master star 1

Aug 6, 2001
    If you accept the EU then you can pretty much have as many Sith as you want. (Sith Orders, Sith Factions, Bane's Rule of Two, etc.) Although during the CW era there should only be two. I still think Ventress isn't that big of a problem. She's just a Sith wanabee and an apprentice in waiting for Dooku for his inevitable challenge to Sidious's rule. (Although we know he never gets the chance to take his master on.)

I'm not going to go negative, and I could because I had some problems but I want to say that the vertical assault on the monastery was AWESOME! The sight of those AT-TE's was breathtaking and I'm trying to figure out a way to display my AT-TE in such a manner.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Anytime between Bane and ROTJ, there should be only two actual Sith Lords. There can be additional acolytes, servants or an occasional Dark Jedi, though. Unlimited numbers of Sith are only found in the pre-Bane eras and "The One Sith" order of Darth Krayt.

22. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    So how come the Jedi know about the rule of two but also think the Sith have been extinct for a millenia when TPM starts?

23. glee_anselm_tourist

glee_anselm_tourist Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2008
    I've just come from seeing the film and I generally liked it. I was glad I saw it in the cinema at any rate. The opening music/radio/voice-over was a nice change (I think the franchise gets a bit too fixated on repeating unimportant details and the crawls were becoming self-parodies). I liked the animation style (and OMG HI KIT!!! hem, sorry). I also came down in favour of Ahsoka after some uncertainty. She's a bit too spunky and talented, but her big sad eyes made me awwwww.

I didn't mind the Funny Uncle, because he came across more as "decadent junkie pirate" than "gay" and he made a change from the usual bass-voiced pompous villains. I liked the space battles and the comedy robots, and especially the way all the clone troopers had different haircuts, the poor things.

The only big problem I have is in-story: Anakin is not a hero. Mid-quels are in a funny position, because everything is fixed. His "don't want to talk about it" dark secret is killing children and he's going to kill a lot more in the future. Being cutesy over a baby now doesn't make me forget that. It helps that all his past crimes have happened off-screen by this point, but I have trouble separating what I know from what I'm supposed to think about him from this film. Also, every time he told off Ahsoka I felt nervous, as if the poor girl was going to end up strangled!

24. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Huh? LOL. Anakin is the "hero with no fear" in CW, why is that confusing? Did you feel confused watching the Prequels too? I don't have a problem with the storyline being an insertion. If it helps - think of ROTJ last 10 minutes Anakin.. ;)

25. glee_anselm_tourist

glee_anselm_tourist Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2008
    Well, "hero" can mean a lot of things. He's certainly the hero of a lot of the PT and he is here. I just can't be comfortable with watching him being nice - it's my problem, really, not theirs :) I had a lot of sympathy for his tragic fall and the way he was used but... all the time he's being heroic and fighting bravely I'm thinking "You can't trust him. He'll go berserk at any minute". I'll have to see how they manage the backstory bits in the Tv series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.