main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars Theatrical Movie: REACTIONS Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    But (and this is one of my problems with the PT) how are we supposed to care about Anakin's fall if he's NOT a hero, NOT nice and caring, et cetera?

I found this version of Anakin engaging and exciting to watch, a step up from the version we see in the PT.

2. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Yes, I really did prefer this version of Anakin much more than AOTC Anakin and a little more than ROTS Anakin.

3. DVCPRO-HDeditor

DVCPRO-HDeditor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2006
    According to the Wookiee: "Around 188 BBY, during the Dark Jedi Conflict, Kibh Jeen told the Jedi that the Sith had survived and were operating under the Rule of Two, though his warnings were ignored or passed off as the rantings of a madman."

Once there was confirmation of the Sith re-emergence, with the appearance of Darth Maul, the Jedi could no longer deny that the Sith were still active in the galaxy. Someone had taken the time to make a note of Kibh Jeen's rantings, and these were likely referenced by the Council in considering the new situation.

Which, given the semi-wooden nature of the animation, is a really telling assessment of the Anakin we saw in the PT.

4. glee_anselm_tourist

glee_anselm_tourist Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2008
    I do care about him, but I want to warn him and warn other people... just reach into the screen and slap him. I suppose this is a good example of why prequels in general are useful artistically - the foreboding. I hate to think what'll happen to Ahsoka.

5. Darkseid-Lives

Darkseid-Lives Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2008
    Overall, I liked it - but not as a movie, as three episodes of the series.
    Biggest complaint - the puppety look of the characters - a mistake. It just doesn't work for enough of the characters to be convincing as its own "world".
    Ziro didn't bother me that much.
    Best elements: Obi-Wan, Anakin, Ahsoka, Dooku.

6. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Thank you. I would love to see more about this Dark Jedi conflict. I think that would make for an awesome novel. Do you know how Kibh Jeen found out about the rule of two?

7. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    I totally agree. Anakin needs to be a hero. He was very unlikable in the prequels and this may make his change more tragic. He was almost a guy you rooted against, at best, in the prequels or even pitied.

8. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    I think it is a case of one sees what they wish to see. I saw him as a hero in the prequels because it was stated more than once that he was and I have a vivid imagination. I suppose if people like things visually spelled out, then it would be harder to capture the idea. This CW insert is exactly the way I saw it, sans Ahsoka of course, but even with her it doesn't change anything for me. I am in no way assuming we will see every CW battle - obviously they have been fighting quite a bit prior to the start of the animation, so there goes my imagination at work again and he is already a hero, lol.

9. Ulic QelDroma

Ulic QelDroma Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 1999
    DVCPRO-HDeditor - According to the Wookiee: "Around 188 BBY, during the Dark Jedi Conflict, Kibh Jeen told the Jedi that the Sith had survived and were operating under the Rule of Two, though his warnings were ignored or passed off as the rantings of a madman."

Not wanting to spark off an argument about cannon but ... I'd hazard a guess and say not even George Lucas knows about this ;)

If there's one thing we can be sure of it's that Lucas and, to a lesser degree Filoni, will not mind contradicting the EU if they think the story requires it. I'd like to see Ventress's past and her place as Dooku's apprentice dealt with in the new CW series; not the GT clone wars - which didn't really explain much anyway.

My guess is that there are two Sith, master and apprentice and, one potential in waiting, (Ventress, Vader's secret apprentice, Luke etc.)

10. TheLastCloneofNaboo

TheLastCloneofNaboo Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2008
    I'm going to see Clone Wars this weekend!
    WOOOOOOOOO!
    I will be back once I've seen it!:D

11. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    When dealing with Wookie or any other Wiki source I tend to lean towards it not being set in stone since anyone can edit and post on them. Most college instructors as well as high school teachers won't take wikiapedia as a striaght source without additional backup references. So that being said the Wookie is very informative but I don't take it as pure fact. Check out the entry for Boba Fett it is a cluster of info that is difficult to look at

12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Usually the wookieepedia is pretty good about citing sources (but not always). E.G. occasionally you'll bump into uncited information that comes across as an inference made by a fan, and not material explicitly described in a published work.

13. burkevader

burkevader Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2008
    Saw it the second time last night with my wife(date night) and enjoyed it much more.
    The visuals are awesome at parts.....especially the space battle stuff.

It makes me soooooooo angry how critics completely shun the movie and thus causing many people to not want to see it. They had it in for this before it was released!!!

14. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I thought I'd add my two cents:

I absolutely LOVE TCW!!! We were some of the lucky few to see the advanced screening the week before - and it blew me away!! I have seen it 13 times since opening day - just can't get enough. It was everything I'd hoped for and MORE.

The animation is fantastic - the style is wonderful. The space battle scenes and a number of other 'scenic' shots were unbelievably gorgeous! Didn't look animated at all. The music - an amazing blend of old and new beats (the increased use of percussion really gives it that 'war drama' feel). Some of the pieces are hauntingly melodic and almost primitive (b'omarr monestary, Tatooine stuff, and Jabba's palace). Can't stop listening to it [face_whistling]

I thought the characters were simply awesome - even Ahsoka. She's fiesty, bold and independant - just like our other fav SW females (Leia/Padme). Anakin has always been a hero to me - I really love how we get to see him at the height of his goodness. Obi Wan was wickedly awesome!! Characters such as Ventress, Dooku and the Clones weren't so interesting to me before. But after seeing Clone Wars - wow!! I can't wait to see more of them in the show!!

The only thing I can gripe about (and it has nothing to do with the movie) is that there aren't enough digital theatres in Canada showing the film. There is only one in my PROVINCE and I'll be driving 3 hours next weekend to take in multiple viewings (digital really makes the animation even more glorious). I wish there was more pressure from the studio to show the digital print.

Can't wait until October! Kudos to everyone who worked on this film (and the show to come!)!!!

Star Wars is FOREVER!!

15. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    I have another gripe that I haven't seen any where else:

Padme'. Ok, was it just me or did she sound like she had no prior experiance as a politition, she sounded like she was a 3rd grade girl not a 9 year vetren of politics. That kind of made the Padme' scene unbeliveable for me.

16. Obi-Mcfly

Obi-Mcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2008
    Actually, I felt Padme was most in-character out of anyone, with the possible exception of Dooku. Everything she did felt dead-on like what Padme would do in that situation. I wish they had used her a little more honestly.

17. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    It looked like Anakin and Padme each gave the other a small little look or wink. Also, I liked that Ahsoka used her brains and her brawn quite well in the movie (like the wall with the hole in it to collapse upon the droids).

18. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    While everyone else seemed just about right in-character for me, I agree that Padmé was the closest to being 100% dead-on.

Although you have to wonder how she knows about Ziro the Hutt and the fact that he's Jabba's uncle.[face_thinking]

19. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I agree. Anakin and Obi-Wan seemed like improvements on the PT version, Dooku was just as good as always, Windu was even worse than usual. But Padme was just as bad in this movie as in the PT.

20. Obi-Mcfly

Obi-Mcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2008

agree. Anakin and Obi-Wan seemed like improvements on the PT version,

Obi-Wan kinda annoyed me in this one. He was way too much of a jerk. I mean, I liked some of the sarcastic stuff, but it just felt like way too much. I know alot of people really liked that though.

21. BLemelisk

BLemelisk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 19, 2003
    Did anyone else think the inclusion of actual tactical conversation during battles was an awesome addition to the whole Star Wars franchise?

I mean I really got a sense that there was a war on, the soldiers actually SOUNDED like soldiers, in every scene. Very well done.

22. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    I really enjoy Obi-wan's character about the most of anyone in II-III and here as well. He communicates a huge amount with just his facial expressions. Anakin's personality was more likeable than in the prequels. It's great that they have this much room to just stretch out with the characters' feelings! [face_dancing]

23. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Are you coming up to Edmonton? I didn't know we had a digital screen here, maybe I'll have to see TCW on it now.

With respect to the tactical discussions, I felt the same way: Yesssssssssssssssss. It actually seemed to add some tension to the film.

24. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    How does one locate a digital theater in their area? I'm in the mid western United States.

I saw AOTC and ROTS digitally, but when I look up show times for the Clone Wars, it doesn't mention anything about digital projection. I went and know I saw film, because of the cig burns.

25. norway

norway Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2000
    Was thinking about starting a new thread for this but the mods here seem to have an iron fist, so I was sure it would be deleted. So here it goes:

I just got back from a second viewing and have forgotten nearly all my original complaints! The movie was so much better the second time! So for all those who left with a luke warm (but positive) feeling after one viewing, I highly recommend seeing it again.

My initial criticism was for Ahsoka and the pathetic nicknames (Artooie, Sky guy, Snips, Stinky, etc) but it hardly bothered me this time. One less "Snips" and one less "Sky guy" would have probably made it perfect.

I'll post more Ahsoka-specific thoughts in my Ahsoka thread...

Loved it! Can't wait for October!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.