1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.

TCW Episode The Clone Wars Theatrical Movie: REACTIONS Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by The2ndQuest, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm not sure I'd generally call SW fans "fickle", although I'm sure they're out there.

If people have had enough SW, that's fine with me - I doubt I ever will. ;)
  2. VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Timstuff, I would recommend just waiting for the weekly series. It kicks off with two episodes on October 3rd, so that should give you enough material to decide whether or not it sucks.

Personaly, I liked the movie--it was fun, but nothing that's so mind-blowingly awesome that it would appeal to non-fans or even fans who are turned off by the animation. So if you're really unsure about it after reading the reviews and seeing all of the promotional material, then it might be a good idea to save your money. We're only a few weeks away from the Cartoon Network premiere.

Don't diss it until you've given it a chance though. I think you might be pleasantly surprised--there are some Star Warsey aspects that the movie absolutely nailed. I think/hope they will improve on some of the shakie aspects throughout the run of the TV series.
  3. fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It's on for 100 episodes. Even if they don't show him at all the first year or two there is still plenty of time left to have lots and lots of Grevious.

Personally, he doesn't excite me that much. I find the whole prequel trilogy seriously lacking in villains. Maul and Sidious being the exception, and possibly the Neimodians, but for a sheer LOL factor -- not as a credible threat.
  4. henchman24 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I enjoyed it fine during 1st viewing, and upon a 2nd viewing I enjoyed it alot more.

So during the first battle on the surface with Obi-wan and Anakin, before the girl arrives....Anakin is supposed to jump onto the big Spider Droids in a suprise attack, while Obi-wan leads the frontal assault. Right after Anakin first jumps to attack, it cuts to the Clone Troopers charging, shot from a profile PoV. From this profile we see a full squad of Troopers charging, but you can also see Obi-wan way in the back weaving in and out of the clone Troopers as they all advance. I failed to notice this upon first viewing (along with many other nifty things) but it is absolutely fantastic. Obi-wans attack is slick, efficient and beautiful.

I felt they did alot of editing and camera work that allows more of a 3rd person, or spectator vibe than I get in the films, if that makes any sense. The Obi-wan attack is just one example. The very large back-drop of the war is a great for this documentary style camera approach. I am so looking forward to this on TV, has the potential to be great stuff.

Any of the films shortcomings were all in such small incriments, nothing was really that bad.
  5. Caledre Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, I recognize it wasn't the greatest thing I've ever seen, and I think they made a mistake putting it out in the theater. It definetly feels like it would play better on a TV set...

I saw it twice, with a couple friends who hated it and my four year old daughter who seemed to like it but had to go to the bathroom every time a lightsaber fight started.

Personally I liked Zero The Hutt. His oddness had me making up stories in my head on how he'd gotten that way, which is what I like about Star Wars. He's the Moe Green, the Fredo of Hutts, if you think of Jabba as Vito or Michael Corleone. He's operates on a different level - and he's Black Sun, not bound by the more traditional Hutt familial codes. He's a "tainted" Hutt. I was smiling the whole time he was introduced. The IG droid bodyguards, Figrin Da'an in the club, aliens smooching in the dark...it was very Star Wars to me.

Ahsoka wasn't my favorite character - I too don't care for the familiarity her and Anakin display to each other, but my daughter seemed impressed.

I'm excited for the series. It hasn't blown me away like the 2D series did, but we shall see...
  6. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I was out of the country, so I missed the first two weeks of release. When I finally found the time to take my 4 year old, it was REALLY hard to find this movie playing anywhere. :( He and I had to drive 40 minutes to go see it.

It was a wonderful experience. My son loved it. Loved it. He was so enthusiastic and happy. I feel like this movie was unfairly treated for not including the usual stream of inside jokes aimed over the heads of the children at the parents who have to sit through it too (you know the drill from Shrek and Madagascar, etc.). It's an unapologetic movie for boys under the age of 8. They're the only ones who should be allowed to critique it.
  7. VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Jabbadabbado! I had no idea you were still posting here. You were one of my favorite posters back in the TPM basher/gusher debates. Good to see you around.

You know, even though this was just kind of a "throwaway" movie release, it's disappointing that it was removed from theaters so quickly. I took my boys to McDonalds the other day hoping to get a few more Star Wars toys, and we were all disappointed to see that they've already been replaced with Lego Batman toys. Sigh...the marketing push is officially over. (And all I got out of it was a crappy Ewoks bobblehead)

My five year old son is surprisingly excited by the Clone Wars commercials currently airing on Cartoon Network. (Keep in mind that he "likes" the live action movies in theory, but can't actually sit down and watch them all the way through. He did see Clone Wars with me and he loved it, however.)
  8. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Jabbadabbado has now been given the unholy powers of modship.

Watch out here he comes....
  9. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Yeah, I've been unleashed on the JC. VladTheImpaler, it's been a long time. I've been hidden in the Senate for years, but I wanted to do some outreach to threads I've never visited before. This is one, since my youngest son has become a legit Star Wars fan completely on his own terms through the minor miracle of "The Clone Wars." Since I took him to see it, my fingers have been black and blue from being hammered in all the lightsaber battles. He wants to be Yoda for halloween.

I'm getting Tivo so we can keep up with the tv series.
  10. Darth_Zoo Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the show will do well a really build an audience for another Clone Wars movie, the live action show, and re-releases of the saga by tapping into the younger generation.
  11. JFuchs77 Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought Star Wars The Clone Wars was an awesome movie. Even though we didn't see much of General Grievous. I loved the lightsaber duel between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Asajj Ventress.
  12. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Bumping for the DVD release.
  13. Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Master

star 4
    Cannot wait for the DVD. Have only just had the chance to submit my report!

I can proudly say... I like this movie. So here's my essay.

Clones. Loved them! Rex rocks the house! I love their banter and relations with the Jedi on the level of equal soldiers, something I've wanted to see since ROTS. And at the beginning of the movie, where some of the Clones get shot down, that actually struck a nerve in me.

Yoda. Voice sounds pretty genuine, but the delivery is off. Too fast. Yoda's always had a habit of taking a good long think before he speaks, this is missing, and its a let down.

Obi-Wan. Kudos to the voice actor, McGregor's got a pretty stylized accent, he did a good job in that department. As for the actual portrayal of Obi-Wan's character, spot on! Obi-wan is one of my favorite things about this movie, and I loved his lines. "My darling," was classic, so Obi-wan, I was surprised that hadn't been done before. Loved the 'tea' thing, he's such a gentleman. Point of Interest: The render guys even made sure he still had McGregor's pimple on his forehead, now that's dedication.

Anakin. Who says Skywalker is an Anti-hero? Anakin kicked butt in this movie! Its a side we haven't really seen of him, and its really refreshing to see that. The only thing that I'd like to see from Anakin now is some really sweet piloting. I loved him when he realized Ahsoka had been assigned to him, perfect! The voice actor does a good job in Hayden's stead as well, but Christensen's Canadian nuance is unfortunately missing.

Ahsoka. I'm actually really fine with her. I'm glad they picked a girl Padawan for Anakin rather than a boy, it'll bring out his feminine side. ("What feminine side," he says?) I think she may be a little advanced to be a Padawan, but perhaps her superior skills can be attributed in part to her head tail thingies, I know they're sensitive somewhat.

Artistic License. Boy, the boys at the shop rocked the house. Great rendering, absolutely fabulous backgrounds, with all the practice they've had since TPM, they've gotten darn good at it. And, may I say that their fabric-cloth simulation was perfect! They should get an award for that! It was mostly apparent when the character was only walking or moving slightly, but the small little cloth nuances were very well done, most especially the cloaks. What I would love though, is if they could un-stick everyone's hair-do's and get a bit of movement going there. Lightsabers where perfect once again, the only thing is the very tips sometimes looked a little round... like Lego lightsabers.

Plot/Pacing. YES! A SW movie NOT about the damnation of the ENTIRE Republic! Awesome! It really had that OT punch, which was so great to have again! I think Padmé turned up at a funny place in the movie, pacing wise, she should have shown her face at the 1/3 mark rather than the 2/3 mark. (Is it just me, or were her eyes almost RED there for a second?)

All in all, the boys did a good job. Isn't it funny, every time Lucas lets someone else drive... they turn out better? He's a genius putting pen to paper, don't get me wrong.

Those who will boycott this movie completely... I think they're going a little too far. The newer fans of the SW movies expect a lot. There is terrible strain to deliver with these films. But I think TCW has really reminded me, and others, what these movies are all about. Space battles and lightsabers and awesome Jedi and awesome planets, but most of all, having a darn good time watching them. Ask any hardcore 1977 fan why SW rocks and usually you just get, "Cuz they rock!"

I dunno if I'm jumping the gun, but, if Ahsoka continues on later, as in, surviving the Purge, I think she could be a similar female lead to Mara Jade. It would take time, and work to build her up to that, but I think the opportunity may be hidden under the surface. I could be completely wrong though, further experience of her character will tell I think.

Oh, and... Jabba's uncle... Riiiiight. Inte
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.