Saga The Code - a vignette

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Title: The Code
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Mace, Yoda, Vader, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Luke
    Genre: vignette, drama, angst
    Summary: The Jedi Code interpreted by Jedi and Sith through time.
    Notes: Wrote this months ago and just found it again. Tweaked with it, messed with it, got tired of it. Posted it...

The Code

There is no emotion; there is peace.
    There is no ignorance; there is knowledge.
    There is no passion; there is serenity.
    There is no death; there is the Force.

There is no emotion?

Qui-Gon had repeated this to himself hundreds, perhaps thousands, of times. But it did no good. If a Jedi was to feel no emotion, then he was a failure as a Jedi. He not only felt emotion, he treasured it, indulged in the rich textures of it.

It had always been both the source of his power and his fatal flaw.

His training had taught him how to distance himself from emotions, but his connection to the Living Force orchestrated them into a song he could not help but hear. His feelings were a part of him; he was unable to separate them from the man he was, and unwilling to do so.

Perhaps one day he would learn to excise that traitorous core that insisted on feeling, but perhaps not. It was true that to love, to feel, to form attachments left the heart open to being broken. But it also gave life a depth that was not possible without experiencing the dualities of joy and sadness, heartbreak and love.

Where there is life, there is emotion?

There is only peace?

Master Yoda surrounded himself with the power of the Force. He let the soothing waves wash over him, inundating him with the peace that only the Force can bring.

Peace was meant to be a natural state for a Jedi. Those who touched the Force were able to attain a state of tranquility that others could not. But even for him, peace was sometimes hard won.

The times were troubled and his brethren were being massacred on worlds far away. He hid now, not out of fear for his own safety, but out of hope that one day peace could live again.

Peace and hope were fragile blooms that grew secretly and quietly, unobserved by their enemies.

Peace was a gift of the Force?

There is no ignorance?

Mace breathed deeply and let his consciousness dip into the mysterious currents of Vapaad. He felt the power flow through him, heady and potent.

He recognized that he was skirting the edges of the Dark Side with his explorations. But he also knew that he was one of the few who could dance the fine edge of this particular blade and escape unscathed.

It was not conceit that gave him this knowledge, merely an assurance that within him the light was too securely established for him to be lured to the shadows he could see from where he stood, balanced on the edge of disaster.

The darkness was there; it was always present.

But to be aware of an enemy is to be prepared, and Mace Windu liked to think that he was always prepared.

So he allowed himself to learn the ways of Vapaad. He learned its secrets, the feel of it, the taste, and the warning coolness of its embrace.

And he was always vigilant, seeking any sign that he had failed and let himself get too close to the darkness that threatened.

Vigilance and knowledge, he valued these above all?

There is only knowledge?

The boy was his.

How strange to think that the past had come back to haunt him in living form. No ghost or painful memory, but love given flesh and form.

A son - no small gift.

And with this knowledge came a deep agony whose existence he had only guessed at before. A well of pain from which burst forth the voices of those he had once loved?and then betrayed.

The Force had brought the boy to him at this time for a reason. There was a special purpose to discovering him now.

Those whom Anakin Skywalker had loved had made this possible. Their sacrifice had brought about this day, and so he bowed in acknowledgement of this, their last gift to him.

With the power of the boy at his s
  2. LadyPadme Manager Emeritus

star 5

What a lovely way to use the Code to tie the OT and PT and the Knights of the order together!

3. Anakin_Heartbreaker Force Ghost

star 4
    That was magical stuff!

The last bit made me well up, it was really touching.

Wonder job! :)
  4. Jedi_Linewalker Force Ghost

star 2
    Extremely good job. Very cutting and to the point. It did indeed tie many disparate threads together and weave them into one tapestry. Well done
  5. Kynstar Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Sweeeeeeeeeet love dhow you dove into each character! Great job!!! Loved it! :D Loved the part:

She was both his salvation and his damnation, and he accepted them both with open arms, knowing instinctively that he could not claim one without embracing the other.

He would find a way to be both a Jedi and her husband, no matter what it took.

His passion for her was eternal, not to be denied?

Also liked how you did Mace's :D the Dark Side is always there ;) to be aware of the enemy is to be prepared. Yep yep :D
  6. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Brilliant VaderLVR... would it surprise you to know I like the first part best?? ;) :D
  7. Lord_Zeron Jedi Knight

star 2
    Good job, VaderLVR64. Great job explaining the jedi code. Each character was perfect for their part of the code. Great work!

:)
  8. Gina Force Ghost

star 4
    Amazing, K. Utterly amazing. =D= You have such a beautiful way with words and an incredible ability to get at the heart of any character. :)

9. amidalachick Force Ghost

star 5
    That was so beautiful, VaderLVR. :_|
  10. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    How wonderful! :D I loved the way you matched each phrase to each individual: it was wholly appropriate and extremely well written. Especially loved Obi's Tatooine perspective as stories of Obi's time on Tatooine are really begining to interest me...I'm so glad he found his peace at last considering all he had been through. Well done! :)
  11. Master_Noi Jedi Master

star 4
    What a beautiful weaving together of thoughts and emotions.
  12. Princess_Arulmozhi Force Ghost

star 4
    Fantastic. Particularly the way you wove together the Code and the characters - and linked each part of the Code to each character. Serenity is Obi-Wan. Oh, loved that. :)
  13. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    LadyPadme Thank you. The plot bunny bit and I wrote, but I couldn't get it like I wanted it. :p

Anakin_Heartbreaker Thank you so much! :D

Jedi_Linewalker So glad you enjoyed it!

Kynstar You know how much I like my Anakin/Vader! [face_laugh]

Healer_Leona The first part best? Really? :eek: I had no idea!

LOrd_Zeron Thank you! Actually deciding on which character to use for each line of the Code was the easy part. Getting them to speak to me was much, much harder!

Gina Look who's talking?? Thank you. Now get writing on what we've been discussing...

amidalachick Thank you! [:D]

Jemmiah I love Obi on Tatooine stories, too!

Master_Noi I'm so glad you enjoyed this.

Princess_Arulmozhi Obi-Wan really is serenity, isn't he?? Thank you so much for reading.
  14. ZekksGoddess Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, I especially liked the Anakin/Vader parts (*giggles* he's may favorite!)
    You did amazingly well getting right into each of the characters, and that last part was sooo touching...
    Awesome job!
  15. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    :_|
    This is so touching!

*runs of in search of handkerchieves*
  16. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 5
    Master - applause! Beautiful.
  17. Palpy560 Jedi Master

star 4
  18. DarthMousche Jedi Master

star 3
    You completely brought the Code to life for me, showing different pieces of the Jedi's lives and then bringing them together at the end. I found the Vader passage (knowlege) especially poignant. I'm glad this came up so I could read it. :)
  19. corellian-jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Very compelling. :D

I love how well it flowed. Nicely done!
  20. BroodingLion Jedi Knight

star 3
    Great stuff! Made the Jedi Code into something beyond something archaic and distant from the heart, made it matter. I'd always seen it as one of those things that's easy to say, that really makes sense when you just look at it, but that in practice becomes suddenly harder to work with. You've pulled a Vergere here, and I mean that in the best way possible. Now the Code works for me...

And ever since Shatterpoint I do love me a good Mace Windu passage...
  21. Laine_Snowtrekker Force Ghost

star 5
    Great viggie! This was neat!
  22. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Lovely viggie!!! awesome work! bravo!!
  23. Kestrel_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    This is powerful stuff! Great to read, all the characters feel so right.
    Nice work! :)
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.