main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Eight is too much. I can't sit here and think that teams 5-8 are worthy of having a crack at the championship. I think it cheapens the regular season even more than the new "playoff" system will.

Four is just right and it needs to be renamed a "Tournament" (just as they do in basketball), because an actual playoff would involve the higher seeds actually earning the right to host those playoff games.

And besides, I believe that the universities would have a logistical nightmare in dealing with getting college fans to a "playoff" game, then a semifinal game and then the championship game at far away neutral sites.

If they do ever go to eight, I think that the higher seeds should definitely get to host the first round and semifinal games and have the championship at a neutral site.

yankee8255 likes this.
  2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I can't think of 64 basketball teams worthy of having a crack at the championship, but including those "Cinderellas" are what make March madness so memorable. I think that can be done on a limited scale in football too.

I agree with you that the first round would need to be played on the home field of the higher seeds. The next (i.e. semifinal round) would be played at a neutral site, as would the championship game itself. I think it could work!

Unrelated, but I really really hope South Carolina and Texas A&M play each other next year. Jadeveon Clowney vs. Johnny Manziel. You wouldn't find a more compelling matchup even in the NFL.

I only hope s65horsey and I wouldn't tear each other to ribbons! ;)

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    You know who Notre Dame fans should really be pissed off at?

Jim Tressel.

Think about it. Tressel is one of the biggest reasons that game happened last night. If it weren't for Tressel's inability to report violations and his desire to cover things up because he needed to win thought he was doing what was best for his student-athletes, that game last night would have been Notre Dame - Ohio State.

And that's a storied match-up. Just like Alabama-Notre Dame is a storied match-up. It would have been a fun spectacle to see those two historic programs duel for the championship.

And, let's be honest here, Ohio State had a good team this year with an incredibly dynamic quarterback. They were not a great team. There is no way in hell the game turns out 42-14 for either team if that's Ohio State instead of Alabama.

So, Irish fans, while you shouldn't be down at all today - you had a great season, and that score was more indicative of how well Alabama handled the long layoff than the respective levels of either team, Jim Tressel is the man you should be made at.

Don't be mad at T'eo, just because his trips around the interview and award circuits made him forget how to tackle for a day.
    Don't be mad at a system that punishes every team that loses - except Alabama.
    Don't be mad at the fact that Brian Kelly is no where near the strategic coach that Nick Saban is.

Blame Jim Tressel.

yankee8255 likes this.
  4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    They barely beat Pitt, very overrated team.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I wonder if Ohio State fans were watching that game, and blaming Tressel

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Story that got lost in the wash of the last week, Aaron Murray returning to UGA for his senior season, which may dull the hit that they're going to take defensively in the NFL Draft. Richt and Todd Grantham already brought on Mississippi State's d-line coach to bulk up the defensive staff, and their recruiting classes are always solid, so I think they'll be right back in the thick of things with SC and UF next year.

7. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    What's a Chanticleer?

8. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    No idea. Some sort of rooster, I think.

But thanks for the link! I had thought the schedules might be released already, but I wasn't sure.

It looks like South Carolina gets off pretty easy when it comes to next season's SEC West competition: no Alabama, LSU, or Texas A&M.

But oh ho, how I'm looking forward that UNC game at the beginning of the season! [face_mischief]

9. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Except it would have been OSU-ND, not OSU-Alabama.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Damn. If only there were an Ohio State fan around to give his opinion on how Tressel shaped the title game.

s65horsey likes this.
  11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    That argument against Oregon would hold more weight if that wasn't exactly how Alabama got to the title game last year.

Juliet316 likes this.
  12. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    The two best teams in the nation were in Sun Life Stadium that night - Alabama's starters and Alabama's second string. They would have throttled OSU too.

Man, what the hell are they feeding those kids down there in Bama? :p

13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    And people wonder why Saban doesn't want to coach in the NFL. It's like having a Super Bowl winner that gets the first 20 picks in the draft.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    That and he bombed epically with the Dolphins when he was in the NFL.

15. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    15-17 in the Brady Division is not an epic bomb.

16. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
  17. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Just another reason why NFL is a 1,000 times better than college football.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    And to think that all it would have taken, many years ago, was a "+1" game to decide the champion. Instead we got the BCS which has done nothing but made things worse and because of that we have universities moving, breaking what were once great rivalry ties, creating ridiculously huge "Super Conferences" and destroying anything left of the great traditions of college football. The "playoff" will wipe out anything left of what made college football distinct from the NFL.

yankee8255 likes this.
  19. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Going to Alabama for work this week, I'll let you know if I see AJ McCarron's girlfriend.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Apparently Jim Delany is open to renaming the Divisions in the B1G. Unfortunately, he won't consider names like "Woody and Bo", "Ohio State and Michigan" or "Lakes and Plains". Because, you know, those would get mocked. Unlike Legends and Leaders.

21. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    We want pics if you see her.

22. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'd take just about anything over Legends and Leaders. Anything.

23. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'd take just about anything over Legends and Leaders. Anything.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I like the suggestion to name them after what's actually driving realignment: Comcast and Time Warner

25. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Heh, that'd be hilarious. But also very sad.