main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Texas - Mizz is pretty solid though

2. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Pretty sure Texas has a contract out there with the NCAA that they can’t play Texas A&M until Texas is good again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Bummed how the bracket filled out BUT hard to be angry-- got to cheer on the Bucks these past 2 weekends in a pair of awesome games! xblackout DarthIntegral Force Smuggler Bardan_Jusik

[​IMG]

As much as I wanted to **** on the whole state, the stadium was beautiful and the tailgating a blast (helps we hung with some TTUN friends)

[​IMG]

He called me lil nut lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Included the statue in the last one for you ma_petite lol

tom, DarthIntegral, Juliet316 and 5 others like this.
  4. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Looks like you had an awesome time.

I can't be too upset (though i am of course disappointed) with the Buckeyes being left out of the playoff. They did it to themselves by ******* the bed against Iowa. I don't think they would have stood much chance against Clemson anyway, though Oklahoma is my pick to win it all.

DarthIntegral and LloydChristmas like this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    At least we'll get the rubber match between Alabama and Clemson.

6. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    At least it won't be the championship game for the third year in a row. We'll get some variety.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Was anyone actually clamoring for this?

Without Watson, it's not really a rubber match, imo

DarthTunick likes this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I'm glad there's alot of controversy with the selection for the final four, as it most likely lead to an 8 team playoffs system down the road.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I really don't want the playoff to expand to eight teams.

Because this year, Oklahoma came to Columbus, and that game mattered. If Ohio State had won, they would be in, no questions asked. Because Oklahoma won, they are in. Just like last year, when Ohio State made it because they won in Norman.

You expand the playoff field to eight, and now that game doesn't matter. Sure. It's fun to see Oklahoma in Columbus and Ohio State in Norman. But that game would now have the exact same impact as Ohio State vs USC in the Cotton Bowl - none. And when you have games with no stakes, you lose the one thing that really makes college football unique and superior.

Imagine a world where all five conference champions are in the playoff automatically. Now, even conference games lose their meaning and importance. Georgia locked up the East with a game to play. In an eight team playoff, they could rest players against Kentucky, lose that game, and be in the playoff. Wisconsin could have done the same against Minnesota.

And, if you're not going to give automatic bids to conference champions, and keep the fully subjective "best eight" committee approach, I don't think that solves anything either. Assuming the committee wouldn't change approach, the SEC gets three teams into an eight team field this year, despite 11 teams in that conference ranging in quality from absolute garbage to mediocre to worse than Troy.

The ONLY advantage I see to an eight team playoff field is quarterfinals being held I campus. Ohio State at Alabama on Christmas? Sign me up.

Other than that? No thanks.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    All valid points. I'd like to see 8, just because more good football and you could conceivably see a mid-major having a chance at playing their way to a title in an expanded field. Still going to have just as much chaos over who are the 8th and 9th teams, just like we do with the 64th and 5th team in March - nothing fixes that.

Like you mentioned, move the first round back to Christmas, second round to New Year's, and keep the title date as-is - don't lengthen the season that way. We'll see what happens.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  11. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    If they expand, I think that they would go to a 6 team playoff first with the top two teams getting byes and then 3 vs. 6 and 4 vs. 5 to decide who faces the top two. That would have given us Alabama vs. Ohio State and Georgia vs. Wisconsin, which would then be at least a better system then currently.

12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Mizzou OC/Former OU QB Josh Heupel will be the next UCF head coach, Randy Shannon will be his d-coord.

SHAMELESS PLUG FOR BOWL MANIA PICK EM LEAGUE WE ONLY HAVE ME RX AND DP PLZ JOIN

League is ESPN/ link is HERE

League Name - "ITT JCC Bowl Mania"

League Password - loldp4m

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Willie Taggart to Florida State.

Expect Phil Knight to urge Oregon to break the bank. This is embarrassing, one and done.

14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Do you think Kevin Sumlin will go to Oregon? Either he turned down UCF or they decided he wasn't right for them.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Good possibility, I think. May not be their first choice, I think they'll test the NFL waters.

Wouldn't be surprised if they interviewed Pep Hamilton, Harbaugh's passing game coordinator and former Colts OC - he was a candidate at both Miss. St and Ariz. St.

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Phil Knight is probably working on creating his on college football tournament like he did for basketball.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Meanwhile, still no coach in Knoxville.

UCF filled their vacancy in less than 3 days. Seriously.

[​IMG]

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Chad Morris to Arkansas. Not entirely successful at SMU, but turned the program around from where he inherited it, and was one hell of an offensive coordinator that is largely responsible for Clemson's rise to national prominence. Arkansas' offense will resemble the Petrino days, maybe even more dynamic. May take a year or two to cycle out Bret's players, who were brought in to run an offense as far from Morris' as you can get.

Another good hire in the West, to go along with Jimbo at TAMU and Joe Moorhead at MSU.

Rew - you in favor of Muschamp firing Roper? Bentley seemed to regress in the second half of the season, too much talent for those anemic numbers. Was confused by Roper coming to SC in the first place, wasn't particularly great with Driskel at UF.

19. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I suppose I'm in favor--we have looked pretty weak on offense in recent weeks.

But it also depends on who his replacement is going to be. :p

20. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Would that be the case with 3 at-larges though? Given how the rankings ended up, Georgia could've lost the SEC title and still been in an 8-team field at 11-2 (not so much if they had a Kentucky loss as well). Wisconsin DID lose and would still get in, but likely not if they had also lost to Minny.

I hear that it might take away some of that "we took down the big dogs" stakes of beating a ranked conference opponent, but crucially 1) Those losses *currently* don't automatically dash title hopes (I doubt Syracuse is less stoked about their upset b/c Clemson still ended up #1), and 2) Like heels said, it gives those programs (and mid-majors) a shot at hanging their hat not just on an upset, but potentially a run to a national championship. Suddenly an upset in early November could mean you're playing not just in your conference title game but also on New Year's Day, and that could heighten the stakes for those athletes on the other side of the ledger.

At the end of the day I think Power 5 + 3 at-large would be fun as hell and still preserve the resume debates for those final 3 spots. I'd just much rather have an 8-team playoff with three SEC teams but also Ohio State/Wisconsin/USC to match them up than a 4-game playoff with two.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Welcome, Coach Pruitt. Magnificent recruiter and if he's good enough for Nick Saban, I'm good too.

Let's hang onto this one for a bit, shall we? Enough embarrassment to last a few years.

[​IMG]

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Mario Cristobal hired as Oregon's next head coach.

Likely to keep recruits since he was an assistant under Willie, and like Lane, spent time refining his methods with Saban after a failed stint as head coach. Popular with players, liked by fans.

Not the flashy hire I expected, but a solid one.

23. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Great end to the Army-Navy game. Still one of the best things in college football is the singing of both schools alma maters after the game.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    May just be me - but does it seem like the Heisman has really dipped in hype over the last few years? I don't know when or why that happened, or if it's just the perception of a cynical fan of a rotting program.

I'm rather obsessed with cfb, and I forgot that tonight was the ceremony. Props to Baker Mayfield - great career at OU.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Easy to do (forget about the Heisman Award, that is) with the number of problems that have been publicized with the game in the last several years. Plus there doesn't seem to be that one person that the media falls head over heels in love with as the front - runner in at least the last couple of years.