main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, I don't have much interest in the ACC this year. I think there are a bunch of mediocre offenses, and some decent defenses, but nothing all that good.

But, I'll admit to having a rooting interest in an ACC game ... finally ... this year. Tomorrow night, BC plays Miami. A BC wins means that the statement "The Miami Hurricanes are not bowl eligible" will be factual. That the Hurricanes will be having a worse season than teams like the juggernaut Ohio Bobcats will be truthful.

Let's go BC!

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    And if isn't sealed already, that would be the nail in the coffin for Larry Coker as coach of Miami.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    So Miami survives BC 17-14 to become bowl eligible in a very defensive matchup. ACtually, I would say that both offenses looked absolutely pitiful, especially in the second half.

I still think Coker's going to be fired, but they may wait until after the season is completely over (i.e. after any bowl game) before actually firing him.

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm going to have a heart attack!

40 seconds left. Our last two games have been blown in the last minute of the game. We have the ball.

A&M up 12-7 on Texas.

Edit: WWWWWHHHHOOOOPPPPP!!!!!! AGGIES WIN!!!!!! AGGIES WIN!!!!!!

GOODBYE TO TEXAS UNIVERSITY. SO LONG TO THE ORANGE AND THE WHITE. GOOD LUCK TO DEAR OLD TEXAS AGGIES. THEY ARE THE ONES THAT SHOW THE REAL OL' FIGHT. THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE UPON YOU. THAT IS THE SONG THEY SING SO WELL. SOUNDS LIKE HELL. GOODBYE TO TEXAS UNIVERSITY. WE'RE GONNA BEAT YOU ALL TO CHIGARIGARUM CHIGARIGARUM. ROUGH STUFF REAL STUFF TEXAS A&M.
    SAW VARSITY'S HORNS OFF!!! SAW VARSITY'S HORNS OFF!!!

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    What were you saying about them waiting until the season was over?

6. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Why would he as a fired coach actually want to be involved in the bowl game with a bunch of hooligans on his own sidelines?

I could see if it was just because of a lack of performance on the field, but he's also getting the axe because of his lack of disciplinary ability. I'm surprised the U even wants him to coach the bowl game.

7. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So I'm nervously watching the MU/KU game, hoping that Mizzou might finally pull one out. Right now they're ahead but it's still the first quarter. This has just been a pitiful season, though. Starting out 6-0, then losing 4 of the last 5 [face_plain] And I don't even want to talk about losing to freaking Iowa State.

-sj loves kevin spacey

8. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    What were you saying about them waiting until the season was over?

I said may :p Obviously not.

If South Carolina could just stop giving up huge plays to Clemson, we'd be in good shape. But giving up a 76 yard pass because the CB slipped, a 80 yard run because the defense was napping, and a 84 (or so) yard INT return on a freak, deflected interception by a stinking D-lineman just won't cut it.

Mitchell's thrown 3 interceptions, but otherwise has looked fine. That one INT was a freak thing, the other two were really his only really bad passes of the game. Still, thats 3 picks. And thats 3 too many.

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    If I'm Tommy Bowden, I'm very concerned about the game having to rest in the hands of Will Proctor, who has looked timid at best today.

SC has dominated, essentially, but need to stop stalling out promising drives.

EDIT: Spurrier trusts that garbage offensive line too much, going for 4th and 2 on your own 39 is just not wise. The first gaffe I've seen him make in a while.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    And, right on schedule, Spurrier calls a perfect drive and Carolina ties it up on the road.

Amazing how many times Carolina has come back against more talented teams this season.

EDIT: And another brainless play by a Gamecock, a blown opportunity for 6.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    CAROLINA WINS

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    YES!!!!

Thank you Jad Dean, choker!

And yeah, heels, when Spurrier decided to go for that one I was going ballistic, I thought he was insane (still do) but we pulled it out anyways.

Didn't you predict it to be 31-28, too? In OT, though, I think. Or maybe that was someone else.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I did, I picked 31-28 OT.

Close enough. Steve Spurrier called almost a flawless game.

Although you know Clemson fans will be whining about the measurement call, although I don't see how an official could mess that up, plus Bowden could have easily challenged.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is the first time ever that I've seen a measurement disputed like that. Not the spot, but the measurement.

And it'll probably go down in fame along with the PI call a few years ago that made the front page of the paper.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, I dunno if you're talking about Rod Gardner's magical hands or not, but it shouldn't be in that category. This was a disputable call, the official was studying the measurement as close as you can get, but that was a REVIEWABLE play, the ball spot, and Bowden chose not to do so. Carolina wins, fairly.

Clemson sure had their chances, especially with that touchback touchdown blunder, but they simply failed in the passing game. Sorry to say it, but Will Proctor ended his career at Death Valley on a very sour note, and I'm sure he'll get hit with most of the anger from Tiger nation.

Simply put, Carolina needed the win a lot more, in terms of postseason play. Although it's hard to say that someone "needed" a rivalry game more, but oh well.

Shocking loss for West Virginia, though. They played as poorly as I've seen them in a long, long time.

Although I'm about fed up with our team, we are leading Kentucky with yet another horrific performance. Tennessee needs a new coach. If we lose, I think we may get one.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, I was talking about Rod Gardner's offensive PI no-call. Carolina fans aren't going to ever forget that. But you're right, since this one was reviewable, and Bowden chose not to dispute it, so thats their problem.

Although I was a little annoyed that Spurrier actually had to use his challenge, instead of it being automatic (on the pass being forward or lateral), but it didn't matter in the end so I won't complain. It was definitely forward, though, and they did end up with the correct call. For once.

EDIT:

And on a more somber note, after the game ended my dad just simply said, "This one's for Ka", my great-aunt who was always a Carolina fan and who died back in May this year. Since I was overseas when she died and couldn't go to the funeral, and havent been in Charleston, where she lived, until this weekend, this Thanksgiving was really when her death hit me. So along with my family (including my aunt who is a Clemson grad/fan) I'm dedicating this win to her.

17. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I couldn't believe the Tenn vs Kentuckey game. What is going on with your team?

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Philip Fulmer is his name.

Another pathetic effort where we play to the level of our competition, and another year that ends with disappointment. We have SO much offensive talent, yet we cannot put up 20 points on the NCAA's absolute worst, 119th ranked defense, that gave up FORTY to Louisiana-Lafayette last week. Plus we had them at home.

We had Kain-tuck down 10-0, and as he did against South Carolina most notably, Fulmer started playing 2 yards and a cloud of dust, or Lou Holtz-ball, and it doesn't work when we don't have a very good O-line. Kentucky in Woodson and Little has too much talent to keep giving them chances, and suddenly Philly foot up my Ass found his Vols down 12-10, and we had to fight to win another one that should have been over by halftime.

Essentially, I've been saying this ALL damn season, I think we are one of the most unmotivated teams in the nation, a product of miserable coaching, aside from Cutcliffe, who I'm sure does not support Fulmer's style of sitting on the lead. We'll probably be heading to the Outback Bowl, which is fine, but I can't help but think what we'd look like if we had held off the Gators and Tigers in the last 5 minutes. Oh yeah, we'd be 11-1. Time for a new coach, and I'd like it to be David Cutcliffe, honestly.

Rogue, I'm sorry to hear of your loss, buddy. Steve Spurrier dedicated this win to the fans in his post-game comments, so I'm sure your great-aunt was very happy watching this from above. South Carolina fans have endured a lot, and although as a Vols fan it pains me to say this (sort of), I think they turned a corner today, pulling out a close win.

19. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I hear you there. Glad we won the KU game, though. Got to go down on the field to protect it from a crowd that never rushed. Stood around the 7 yard line near the hill.

20. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    i just saw one of the most bizzare plays that i've ever seen on a football field. during the ASU-Arizona game, arizona was punting, but it was a bad snap, and it bounced off the punter, who proceded to kick it away not once, but twice, in original football/soccer style. flags went flying, and ASU got possession, and quickly scored.

21. PrincessChattyCathy

PrincessChattyCathy Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2005
    Wahoo! Boise State University goes 12-0. Wins the WAC for the fifth year in a row for a total WAC record of 39-1.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    KW: Hmmm, thats wild. What did they end up calling for something like that?

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I know I picked Notre Dame to win, but I have a very eerie feeling that Southern Cal may blow them out tonight.

Heh, and I thought Spurrier going for 4th and 2 was wild today. Charlie Weis just went for 4th and 9 in field goal range. Both failed. Yikes.

24. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Heh, and I thought Spurrier going for 4th and 2 was wild today. Charlie Weis just went for 4th and 9 in field goal range. Both failed. Yikes.

*head hitting forehead*

What, is it National Coaches Lose Their Minds Day?

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I hope Pete Carroll loses his mind and starts punting every first down from here on out.

[face_monkey]