main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Do you think Petrino's recovered enough from the scandal that cost him his job at Arkansas to be considered for any type of coaching position this year?

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Really good question, and I don't know. I don't think Auburn will want anything to do with him, he was a coordinator there before he went to Louisville, and left on bad terms (as he tends to do). Just on my gut, I can see him at two places, programs who are losing ground in their growing conferences and are desperate to regain relevancy- UK is one, and the more likely spot, IMO, is California. Far enough from the SEC for him to get a "fresh" start, and his big offense would work well in the Pac-12. With Stanford and UCLA becoming bigger in the last year(s), Cal has really fallen off. It'd be a good move, I think.

3. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Anybody that's dumb enough to hire Bobby Patrino will deserve what they'll eventually get from him... which is screwed.

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
  5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Man, I hope Kent State makes the BCS and once again highlights how absurd the whole system is.

6. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Can't read, can't write, Kent State!

That'd be absurd, but I think that I'd like it.

7. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Hey, give the Golden Flashes some respect!

:p

8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Nice short piece Gene Woj...ski of espn:

9. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000

After knowing the people who went there from my high school in Western PA, I'm not inclined to do so. :p

10. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    To be fair to Rick Reilly, who I've been slamming now for months, the guy at least has the guts to stand up admit his mistakes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    This may be a more relevant question to ask Saturday night or Sunday, but if the playoff were this year instead of 2014, who would the final four be? Notre Dame, SEC winner, Oregon, and Florida? Would the SEC Championship game loser push Oregon or Florida out? Would it only happen if Alabama lost the game?

Which does make me wonder, if Alabama does end up losing on Saturday, they'll still make a BCS bowl, right? Would Florida as well, or would one of them have to settle for something like the Capital One Bowl?

12. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    It's looking like Florida will jump the SEC championship loser and would likely go to the Sugar Bowl vs Oklahoma or Louisville. The loser would probably go to the Chick-fil-A or Cotton Bowl

13. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    Wow. Hard to believe Alabama would be out of the BCS. But I guess two losses would do it.

14. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Very happy for Notre Dame on getting as far as they have this season. It's honestly the first time Notre Dame has been relevant since I've been watching college football!

As for the SEC Championship Game, I'm a bit torn. I tend to like Georgia a little more than Alabama, but I think Alabama is more deserving of going. In other words, in the case of Georgia, even if you only have one loss, but that one loss was by a whopping 28 points, I don't think you deserve to back into the national title game!

heels1785 likes this.
  15. IntyMobile

IntyMobile Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2009
    The college football regular season. Where every game counts ... Except the ones Alabama loses.

Rew, Havac and MistrX like this.
  16. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    Maybe not, but I think it comes down to process of elimination. If Georgia pulls this one out, they'll still have just that one loss. Florida certainly had a better schedule, but they get eliminated because they lost to Georgia head to head. Kansas State probably has the worst loss of the one loss teams. That leaves Oregon, who might have had a good argument if they'd been in the Pac-12 championship game. Beating USC, Oregon State, and UCLA would have padded their wins and their loss is obviously much better than Georgia's, but unfortunately they lost to the wrong Pac-12 team. Just like Florida did.

17. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    This game is crazy. I'm going nuts here.

Edit: Oh that was bad. Horrible decision at the end there.

18. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    Initial reaction is obviously "why catch that?!", but in that moment, it's hard to intentionally drop that ball, especially when a receiver is thinking that they might be able to turn and do something with it. So, alas, Alabama is in the championship game again. Dang it.

19. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    You see many is why not spike the ball in case of something like that happening. But it's football things like that happen. I hope ND wins I really don't want to see Alabama win again.

20. MistrX

Jun 20, 2006
    Yeah, I don't know why they didn't do that. Give yourself another 40 seconds for a couple shots at the end zone. Why rush it? Ah well, too late now. Exciting finish, though. Exciting game, really.

anidanami124 likes this.
  21. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I can't disagree there.

22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    As a fan of big-time, historic college football, I'm downright giddy at the Notre Dame - Alabama match-up. There's so much rich history there. I love it.

yankee8255, Rew and Darth McClain like this.
  23. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Wisconsin is getting the hopes of their fans up.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Wisconsin is garbage.

Sorry, 'sey. It's true.

25. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Where's Havac when you need him. Ban Inty!