main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Since it looks like McCarron wins back to back championships tonight. Does that mean he breaks the back to back championship game QB curse? All the other QB's who have won the first and lost the second have been terrible in the pros.

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001

Darth_Smeagol likes this.
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  4. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Rooting for 63-0 now.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    No way, 'SEC' fans are already insufferable.

That whole thing is stupid anyway....I can't see any Jets fans chanting 'AFC EAST!' if the Pats win the Super Bowl.

Lowbacca_1977 and DarthTunick like this.
  6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    So...Texas A&M for national champs? :p

I'm glad I watched the season premier of the Bachelor instead of the game. Geesh.

7. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Looking forward to the four team playoff.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Though I want Alabama to win this game, it would have been nice if Notre Dame had shown up for it.

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Seriously, I was just going to say that this is the best ad for playoffs ever. Just because a team hasn't lost doesn't mean they're the best. Clearly ND hasn't played any teams like this.

The best comment of the night by the callers, "Contrary to comments on social media, no, Oregon can't make it here in time for the second half."

Rew likes this.
  10. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001

11. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Didn't their coach say at halftime when asked how they could get back in to it 'Alabama could not come out for the second half'? LOL.

12. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Man, not even close tonight.

13. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001

14. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    LOL @ ND for sure but after the first half I was hoping for a crazy 70-0 game.

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Wow, that was mostly just really boring. Except for the part where an o-lineman pushed his own QB. Lol

DarthTunick likes this.
  16. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Almost... [face_plain]

17. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Ugh, and I have to go back to the South now.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It's going to be interesting to hear Mike and Mike later in the morning.

19. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Did anyone see Darnell Dockett tweeting at AJ McCarron's girlfriend? Massive LOL.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Oh that will end well.

21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Well, got up at a little after three in the morning, just in time to see ND down 21-0, put together a decent drive starting deep in the their own end, then punt and fail to stop Bama though a combination of great play by the Tide and incredibly poor tackling. Went back to bed before Alabama scored, no need to stay and watch after Te'o missed a tackle in the Alabama backfield on 3rd and 3. Well deserved win by the Tide, very disappointing performance by us. Always disappointing when your team plays far below it's potential, which I do think was the case. Alabama was nevertheless the better, more complete, team, though, and I don't mean to take anyhting away from them, though.

I am a bit defensive though about the "ND didn't belong" arguments for a playoff, though. SJ, we didn't go 11-0 playing patsies, we played one of the tougher schedules in the country. Beat Stanford, who Oregon lost to. Beat Michigan, who gave Georgia a hell of a game. Beat Oklahoma convincingly in Norman. We fully deserved to be there, certainly more than Oregon, K State or Georgia, who had their crack at Alabama and also lost to Florida.

Overall, though, a great year for ND, far beyond anything we expected at the start of the year. Some key losses to graduation, but a good recruiting class coming in, hopefully some talent on offense. Certainly much to look forward to.

EDIT: one point I meant to make about the blowout in the second paragraph -- blow outs like that aren't at all atypical in big college bowls, actually fairly commonplace, and have at least as much to do with how teams handle the layoff as how well matched the teams are. Some coaches (Saban especially) are very good at dealing with the layoff, others aren't. If one thing worries me about ND going forward, it's that Kelly may fall into the latter group.

22. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    I still don't see how ND beat Stanford.
    It's possible Stanford was food poisoned or something.

Beating Oklahoma this year isn't too big of a deal.

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Honestly, I only saw the first half, if Stanford had had a better quarterback, they could have had a significant lead at half time.

Edit: for those in the ND didn't belong camp, who did? Oregon, who didn't even make it to their conference championship? K State, who got blown out by a poor Baylor team? Should the season have ended after the SEC title game?

24. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I think you're confusing Georgia for South Carolina (to whom Michigan gave a hell of a game--and it was South Carolina to whom Georgia lost, not Florida).

And if you want my honest opinion, I think it was Ohio State who belonged in that BCS championship game with Alabama--just a damn shame about those NCAA sanctions. What we really need, though, is an 8-team playoff. (I would've liked seeing ND in such a tournament.)

Speaking of South Carolina, congratulations to Jadeveon Clowney for winning All-America Player of the Year. :D

heels1785 likes this.
  25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Texas A&M is going to be a beast in the SEC while Johnny Football stays. Their recruiting class is insane.

EDIT: They are also losing a bunch of players to the draft. Regardless, ESPN ranks them #5 for 2013. http://espn.go.com/college-football...ne-college-football-way-too-early-2013-top-25