main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    UT = University of Texas

2. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Man, tonight's game against Clemson just won't be the same without Woody there to punch one of them...

DarthIntegral likes this.
  3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Does that video exist without the music? I'd like to sorta hear what's going on.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Not sure- Deadspin had it up first, and that was the version they used. I'd like to hear it too, likely not TOS-friendly, but hey.

I hope OSU beats the hell out of Clemson tonight. Then, before Dabo walks off the field, the entire 2011 West Virginia football team shows up and scores on Clemson again.

Rew likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If it's Yakity Sax, it's probably appropriate...

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Braxton Miller breaking out the Sweetness step! That was an awesome run. Will be fun to watch him and Boyd duel.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Which is worse so far ... the defenses or the referees?

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, refs are really jumpy to start. Defenses are awful, though. I don't know what OSU can do, they can't drop extra guys back into coverage..

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I guess one defense decided to show up. Blah

10. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Ugh. I don't think I'm gonna make it to the end of these games tonight. I can't wait to get back to Central time zone. This East Coast stuff is awful.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Ugh. Awful interception to seal it.

At least I won't have to hear Matt Miller say "Buckaroo" anymore

12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Urban Meyer totally blew the end of that game after the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty at :31. That forced second down with the clock stopped. Clemson kneeled anyway. Meyer had two timeouts in his pocket. He should have called timeout after the kneel, stopping the clock at (I'm going to be generous to Clemson here to illustrate how stupid Meyer was) :28 for third down. Another kneel and and the final timeout would have forced Clemson to punt the ball with :25 on the clock, and then the Bucks can get as many as two or even three offensive snaps. Instead he let them run out the clock. What an idiot.

13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Something good finally happens to Mizzou!!!!

Zeta1127 and heels1785 like this.
  14. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    In reference to my previous post, it's been brought to my attention elsewhere that ESPN's score display that showed two timeouts for Ohio State may have been incorrect and that they may have only had one timeout remaining. If that's the case, then Urban Meyer is not stupid, but somebody in the TV truck is. :p

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Charlie Strong to Texas. I am surprised.

16. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    tu = the secular university in Austin.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

17. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Unfortunately, I proved to be prophetic :( .

I knew his name was in the mix, but I figured he was a second-tier candidate given that he didn't have any ties to the school or any strong ties to the region that I know of (I know he played at Central Arkansas). From Texas' perspective they get a solid up and comer who has paid his dues. From Strong's perspective, you go to one of the Shangri-La's of college football (but he's also under a much stronger microscope now than he ever was or would be at Louisville). But with Bridgewater headed for the pros this is as good a time as any for Strong to move on.

18. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Dammit. Being reported that Art would've bolted Baylor and gone to Texas had they offered him the job straight up instead of just an interview.

Strong is an interesting choice, if it goes thru. I read that he's the complete opposite of Mack, in that he doesn't like doing media or dealing with the boosters. Considering doing tons of media for Longhorn Network is in the job description, I'm shocked he's considering taking the job.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm surprised he's taking it too. He's got a good situation at a school where the expectations aren't too high, he makes a great salary, and he'd be leading them into a power conference. He's not exactly inheriting a full cupboard at Texas, and A&M has started to surpass UT in recruiting, with the SEC affiliation helping.

20. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Strong may come to regret it, but I can totally understand why he took it. These guys are all Type-A personalities, and always looking for the next challenge. And given how quickly fortunes rise and fall in college football, he may have thought a chance like this wouldn't come around again for a long time, if ever.

I wish him the best, but he's got a real challenge ahead of him.

21. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013
    Can't imaging coaching at an institution or athletic dept as arrogant as texas. And add the albatross of the longhorn network and there are many better jobs.

There are reasons why texas couldn't get into the PAC12.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Brett Hundley staying at UCLA. As long as he can stay remotely healthy, this is a good move- he'd get lost among the mass of 2014 QBs and probably go late 1st/early 2nd. In 2015, he'll only have to contend with Winston, Petty, and Mariota. McShay and others also believe that Hundley has a good bit of maturation to do in his decision-making, so hopefully this turns out well for him.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Funny ... others would view it as "there are reasons the Pac 12 couldn't get Texas"

Texas is a top ten job in the country. If you want to win a national championship, it's one of the few jobs where you will have access to needed resources and recruits.

Plus, factor in how much West Virginia struggled going to the Big XII. Jimbo Fisher has FSU set for another long run of greatness. At Louisville, the ceiling is somewhere around "contend for a conference title during down years for the Seminoles." At Texas, there is no ceiling

s65horsey likes this.
  24. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013
    The PAC flat out rejected texas.

25. Sandtrooper92

Jul 31, 2013
    One of the few jobs where you have needed resources and recruits? Is that why texas has so many Big 12 titles? A TV network doesn't make a goodjob. And that doesn't even consider texas's fair weather fans.