main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I think it's more that it hasn't really been competitive recently- it's been pretty clear who was going to win beforehand.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    The Heisman flipped a few years back to just an extension of the ESPN hype machine. ESPN decides who will win, and it gets funneled appropriately. Factor in that College Football fans are getting smarter, recognizing quite often that the best player in the game is found in the trenches, while the Heisman is almost exclusively a quarterback award, with a random running back winning every once in a while, and you have a disconnect. When a Clowney or a Pace or a Te'o wins the award, I think you'll see interest increase again.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Allow me a brief salute to Wofford head coach Mike Ayers, who announced his retirement after 30 seasons as head coach of the Terriers. A tremendous coach and human being who turned down many better offers, including taking over a service academy, over the years to stick with the 2nd smallest school in the FCS. Using the triple option and extremely limited recruiting resources, turned Wofford into a regular power both in the Southern Conference and in FCS, and made them a team that the big schools would dread playing over the years.

I realize that, outside of my spouted insanity here, many are not familiar with the Wofford program. Here are a few of Coach Ayers' accomplishments:

Winner, 2003 Eddie Robinson Award
    63rd winningest active coach - 207-139-1 record at Wofford, 5 Southern Conference championships (218 total wins in SoCon is most in conference's history - coached at ETSU for 2 seasons prior to Wofford)
    Southern Conference Coach of the Year 2000, 2003, 2007

Here's a good article about the "human" side:
    http://www.goupstate.com/news/20111212/ayers-shares-his-personal-story-to-inspire-at-risk-kids

A coach and man I immensely respect. Got to shake hands with him once as a student, it was a thrill. Enjoy a well-earned retirement, Coach - job well done!

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    New 10 year deal for Lane Kiffin at Florida Atlantic.

He's held 5 jobs in the last 10 years. I don't think he'll hold this one for 10.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah - highly doubtful he stays that long. But FAU likely just earned themselves a nice buyout if he continues to do well and moves on for positive reasons.

heels1785 likes this.
  6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    As a Gator fan, I would prefer FSU play the game so they can lose and end up with a losing record. [face_mischief]

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I just like the "this should have been caught at three levels. Florida State should have caught it, the ACC should have caught it, and the NCAA should have caught it."

But, no one did. And so F$U goes to their bowl.

9. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Or maybe major schools should stop scheduling the FCS patsies.

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    You know. I'd say I'm on board with that solution. But then we wouldn't get this:

11. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    That's true, and I would be willing to modify my statement: teams shouldn't schedule them as part of the regular season. Maybe for pre-season type games (wins or losses don't count on the record ala NFL?).

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dollar General Bowl champions for App State! [face_party]

PCCViking likes this.
  13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Anyone who hates on Bowl Season or thinks there are too many Bowls or any of that nonsense.

Go talk to a Purdue fan today.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  15. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    My parents were so excited watching the game last night! Boiler up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarthIntegral likes this.
  16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Am I crazy, or do we have a USC fan on here? Friendly bet, if so?

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Thinking of seeing TLJ in IMAX tomorrow and then watching the Fiesta Bowl with the family!! Aye Aye Aye!

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Well so far this Cotton Bowl kinda sucks.

Glad I didn't see this earlier.

LloydChristmas and DarthIntegral like this.
  19. ma_petite

Nov 26, 2006
    Sam Darnold’s hair deserves its own show.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well. I wouldn't call it a fun game to watch, but I'm very glad J T Barrett gets to go out with a win, and that Ohio State has snapped their losing streak to USC.

The Defense was phenomenal. I think there's a very good chance that Nick Bosa is the best player in college football next season. The defensive line was just fantastic all game in whole, but it's clearly Bosa who is the engine driving that machine. That the Silver Bullets were able to make it look like Sam Darnold had already been drafted by the Browns was a nice highlight - did Ohio State end up naming him their MVP?

I'm sad to see JT go. A lot of Ohio State fans are outright spoiled and don't realize what they have in JT. The constant complaining about him is just ridiculous. He's the winning quarterback in school history, owns, I believe, 37 Big Ten or School Records, was part of our National Championship winning team, was part of two Big Ten championship winning teams, went 4-0 against That Team Up North ... and far too many Ohio State fans want to complain about him.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  21. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Did anybody watch the Music City Bowl and those thieves...I mean refs?

Kentucky's running back gets tangled. The referee looks to make physical contact with him to help him up; the running back refuses and pushes his hands off him; he gets flagged and ejected for contacting an official. So, they were without their best RB for the rest of the game.

Then Kentucky's QB gets hit late out of bounds, no flag. Stoops has a conversation about the late hit, apparently calm, with an official, but gets flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. That penalty pushes them out of field goal range.

Oh, and to make things "fair," replay officials "see" a targeting foul by Northwestern.

I'm not a Kentucky fan, and I know the talk about them having plenty of opportunities to win, but in a 1 point win, you can't tell me those two calls (especially the latter) didn't have a detrimental effect on the game? For one, the running back shouldn't have been ejected for the football equivalent of entrapment (which appeared to be the case), and as long as Stoops wasn't screaming, the other official should have turned the other cheek. It was like Joey Crawford had started officiating football last night...

22. ma_petite

Nov 26, 2006
    On Wisconsin! The Big X is 7-0 in bowl games.

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Play of the game: Paul Chryst dodges the Gatorade bath.

24. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Nice win Wisconsin.
    Some pretty bad calls that didn't go Miami's way, but a very entertaining game.

25. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I think a lot of people (read: national media peeps who kept being baffled during playoff time) forget that it was a tie game in Iowa when Bosa got tossed on a kinda-ticky-tacky targeting call. What was a turnover on downs became a quick 7 points and Nick removed for the rest of the game-- doesn't make JT throw all those picks, but I don't think they notch 55 points if he's still in.

Excited for him AND some Dwayne next year-- that dude fires missiles and gives us a downfield element we might not have seen since the Cardale/Devin Smith magic. That said, echo your thoughts on JT b/c damn that was a career, and damn he gave us some memories.

DAMN STRAIGHT THEY ARE, I'm okay if they go 7-1 tho [face_whistling]

heels1785 and DarthIntegral like this.