main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    USC is coming out to a great start. I hope it doesn't get too out of hand. Many times a team loses energy earlier when they come out and play full throttle at the start.

2. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    USC goes up 14-0 against Notre Dame! Another great catch by Dwayne Jarrett.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Alright, Chaz, this isn't North Carolina, Navy, or Army.

Time to wake 'em up.

4. CJS

CJS Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2006
    USC seems to be in control still...though 21-10 should be 28-3

EDIT: Best play of the day is the pass by BYU's John Beck with NO time remaining for the win over their in-state rival Utah.

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    john beck was mysteriously not recruited by any of the arizona schools (so far as i know), even as he quarterbacked one of the most powerful high school teams in arizona history, the 2002 state champion mountain view toros.

great quarterback, by all indications.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Absolutely.

I heard him on Sporting News Radio on Thanksgiving, and he's also a very humble guy. KW, I didn't know he wasn't recruited by Koetter, at least, I would imagine he would have been a great replacement for Andrew Walter--guess they expected Sam Keller to work out. Arizona has no excuse.

Great to see BYU doing well, I think teams such as Miami and presumably Alabama would be wise to take a look at Coach Mendenhall, he's a great young talent that has had nothing but success in his two years.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    And that was another ridiculously close spot for measurement (and this one a horrible spot, but thats besides the point), 2 really close ones in one day. Dang.

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    My thoughts exactly.

I may go to Kansas-Florida on the Worldwide Leader if the Irish can't get this touchdown and/or the Trojans turn this into even more of a blowout.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    ...and the Irish do pull out the TD, after 2 fourth down conversions. Which makes 5 4th downs that ND has gone for. Wow.

Oh, and I thought ND should have challenged that spot if it hadn't been ruled a TD, and then SoCal challenges it. I laughed.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm having a tough time deciding who's better, Dwayne Jarrett or Calvin Johnson.

Any thoughts?

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Dwayne Jarrett is simply amazing. Looking forward to seeing OSU gameplan against him.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, being on the east coast, I haven't seen this kid on anything other than Sportscenter, but Jarrett is a real gamebreaker.

If Johnson had a better QB, he'd probably be the clear choice of the two, and probably will be the better pro, but Dwayne Jarrett is a man possessed tonight.

EDIT: And Kirk Herbstreit and Brent Musberger are wired into my brain, btw. I told them to discuss this exact subject on air right after I posted the question. :p

Schiano: Not Leaving Rutgers

13. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    They're both nasty. But I ended up flipping over to watch Kansas-Florida basketball, since it didn't look like ND had much of a chance.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    On a slightly different note, I hope ABC keeps this broadcasting team for as long as possible.

Although Bob Davie is slightly obnoxious, he sure knows his stuff, and it's great to get the coach's standpoint. Herbstreit is the Jay Bilas of College Football, he's the best there is in terms of analysts, IMO. Never hear the same thing twice.

And then there's Musberger, the legend, at least for me. There's nobody I'd rather listen to call any sort of game, including Keith Jackson.

15. Jedi_Master_Ron

Jedi_Master_Ron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2006
    USC's now up 44-24, they have this game won.

16. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Not so fast my friend, USC still has to get past UCLA to get to that game UCLA would love nothing more than knocking SC out of the title game. This is a huge rivalry game, and USC better not look past it or they will not be playing in Glendale in January.

Anyway, great game last night for USC. I am really impressed with SC's defense. They shut down two potent offenses two weeks in a row: Cal and Oregon. They then held the line for SC in the 2nd quarter last night when SC's offense and special teams were giving the ball away. ND had a great opportunity with a blocked punt and two interceptions on SC's side of the field in the 2nd quarter to get back into the game. SC's defense held ND to only 1 TD from the flurry of SC turnovers, keeping the 11 point lead at half time. SC's offense was able to settle back down in the 2nd half, and SC pulled to the relatively easy victory. This game would have been completely different if SC's defense didn't hold the line in the 2nd quarter.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the loss to OSU was the defining point of the season for this team. The moxy that they showed in coming back from a 21 point deficit in the 4th quarter to almost tie the game, gave the this team the character and identity that they were sorely lacking before that quarter. This team has been completely dominant since then. If they defeat UCLA next week, there should be no argument about who the #2 team in the country is. I am not sure that they can defeat OSU, but they'll make it a tough game. I am really excited about this SC team for next year. It is truly amazing what they are doing in a "rebuilding" year with 15 true freshman in the starting lineup.

Fight On SC!!!

17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    How many years in a row has UCLA had the motivation of "if we win this game, we can knock our rivals (USC) out of the National Title game"? 3? 4? And how many times have they come through based on that motivation? ZERO.

I watched rivals do just that many times in the John Cooper era at Ohio State, but I've never seen it happen at USC under Pete Carrol. And I don't expect it to happen this year, either.

18. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I will die of laughter if UCLA wins. Why? Because everyone always discounts the underdogs. That's why they're so shocked when an underdog actually wins. The way ESPN, ABC and all the commentators were making it, I honestly thought this was USC's last game. Everyone kept saying this is the game that decides the championship. Who's going to the Championship Game? Well the USC/Notre Dame game will solve that.

Really? Well USC still has one more game on their schedule. I checked. So why does almost everyone in the college level (Commentators and sports networks) count their chicks before they've hatched? Is it just because college is more predictable?

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    It won't happen, it won't even be close, at least in my opinion, Carroll is too good to allow his players to overlook this.

I'll save my laughter for SC fans when they lose their second straight National Championship, although the fact that they've made like 4 straight ones is so impressive it's not even, well, funny.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    they will have only made 3 straight national championship games. ;)

The year of their half-title, they didn't make the championship game.

21. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I will say that it is impressive to still be a contender after they lost two big offensive weapons to the draft.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    no doubt, its very impressive. Almost as impressive as losing 9 defensive players to the NFL, including three of those in the first round, and another two offensive players in the first round.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I know.

However, I consider, and always will, that Rose Bowl win over a very good Michigan team to be more legit than the game in which Ell Roberson's little baby girls (AKA Oklahoma) got beat down by LSU (those who saw the game know that the score doesn't do the game justice for LSU, btw).

But, that's me, not the official record, I guess.

24. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Boise State beat Oregon State 42-14, OSU will probably in the top 25 in the new poll anhd Boise beat Hawaii, who is top 25. Hawaii did beat Purdue yesterday.

25. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

Fixed;)

USC showed me a lot last night. Amazing defensive speed, which I hadn't seen out of them for a lot of the year. They really stepped up when they needed to get it done. The better team won the game last night, but it would have been nice to see some more offensive execution when ND's defense did step up and force a turnover. Could have been a much different second half if it had been tied or a one score game.

To me, I think what USC has replaced on offense is far and away more impressive than what Ohio State has replaced on defense. Not because the USC players were better or more difficult to replace but I think USC has shown that they can still put a lot of points on the board and win games with their offense. Ohio State on the otherhand has faced one competent offense all year (Michigan) and 1/11th of another offense with Garrett Wolfe. OSU got thrashed by both defensively. No disrespect to Michigan, but if Ohio State thinks they can get into a shootout with an SC team that plays well on offense they'll lose.

USC's defense is every bit as good as Michigan's, but their offensive weapons are nearly unstoppable. Jarret is indeed the best receiver in Division 1-A, and to be frank Ted Ginn has no business even being mentioned in the same breath.

If USC comes out and takes care of business against UCLA, we're going to have one helluva title game between OSU/USC. I'll be pulling for OSU, but I'm anything but confident right now.