main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Two headlines tonight, one good and one very bad.

Mike McIntyre, head coach of the Colorado Buffaloes, is the Walter Camp Coach of the Year. Very well deserved.

Terrible news - former USC running back Joe McKnight was killed in a road rage incident, shot dead in New Orleans. RIP

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    In his first five recruiting classes, Urban Meyer has successfully signed six five-star recruits. That's gotten him to a record of 61-5.

In his 2017 recruiting class alone, Urban Meyer has six five-star recruits.

[​IMG]

Edit - Also, PJ Fleck is awesome. Charismatic as hell. Gave a great interview right after winning the MAC tonight, WMU finishes 13-0.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Washington impressive tonight. John Ross, wow. This performance looks to me like enough to get them in.

And, I echo those congrats to the Brincos, rowing their boat to the Cotton Bowl.

4. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, don't see the top four changing.

Although, I'd really prefer Wisconsin win tonight, to spare us all the inevitable "we've overcome so much" horse**** narrative for Penn State that ESPN will undoubtedly run with, sans any mention of the real victims.

LloydChristmas and PCCViking like this.
  5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

I've read we shouldn't hold the current coaching staff and players accountable for Penn State's actions. Yes and no. No, they didn't have anything to do with it, but they still agreed to work or play for the school, knowing full well Penn State's complicity in Paterno's covering up of Sandusky's actions. So, I hope Wisconsin wipes them off the field. If Penn State, I hope Ohio State gets in over them.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  6. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Any thoughts on if Washington can jump Clemson for the 3 spot? Their resumes are pretty similar and if Clemson struggles against VTech would UW's performance last night be good enough to give them the nod? Though that would set up a potential rematch of Alabama-Clemson, which I'm not sure the committee would view as a positive or as a negative.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

There's virtually no chance the Committee will pit Pac-12 vs. Big-10 in Round 1 after last year's Rose Bowl, even if no one expects it to go that way again...

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    "Sadler or Foltz?"

That was kind of weird, Big Ten.

9. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    What a comeback by Penn State, hell of a game!

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'd have Washington over Clemson. Tonight was just the last in a long string of really shaky performances by the Tigers.

Bama, OSU, Washington, Clemson is my four.

Edit: Gus Johnson, dopey ass extraordinaire, referred to PSU's win tonight as "a milestone in the healing process."

Healing for who? I'd question his sanity if Mr. Johnson thinks that the young men who were raped by Jerry Sandusky and subsequently betrayed by Joe Paterno somehow give two ****s about some kids winning a football game. Unfortunately, I'm sure this same irresponsible idiocy will be spread by trash journalists over the next few days.

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm thinking Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Washington

In that order

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I am not Yankee, this is not the soccer thread. Smh

13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    The playoff selection criteria is about to be shown as BS. How does one justify putting Ohio State in when Penn State won the Conference Championship and beat them when they played. Is Ohio State's strength of schedule to overcome that?

I cant wait to hear the committees justification for their choices.

14. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

Two losses, versus one loss. Plus Penn State got crushed by Michigan, while Ohio State won.

I normally would agree with you despite that, but given this is Penn State we're talking about and all that's happened, they can get left out in the cold for all I care.

LloydChristmas and Bazinga'd like this.
  15. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

I don't have sympathy for Penn State either, but what is concerning is that the committees selection method does not make any sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

That's true. They're using the Agent K method from Men in Black II: "I like to keep my enemies confused." J: "We're all confused, K." :p

Bazinga'd likes this.
  17. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    No matter which teams make it, there will be controversy regarding whoever gets left out.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Ohio State has three wins over Power Five schools with ten or more wins. For comparison, Clemson and Alabama combined to play zero. The committee had been consistent on one point through its three years: it cares the most about who you beat. No one compared to Ohio State in that category this year.

Yeah, it's a shame that Penn State had both the Conference Title and Head-to-Head over Ohio State. They also lost their marquee out of conference game.

LloydChristmas and Bazinga'd like this.
  19. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree. How about Penn State or Michigan versus Washington?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    It looks like the Gators will be playing Iowa in the Outback Bowl.

FSU vs Michigan in the Orange Bowl (Go Michigan!)
    Ohio State vs Clemson in the Fiesta Bowl semi-final (Go Buckeyes!)
    Alabama vs Washington in the Peach Bowl semi-final (Go Alabama, only less enthusiastically) :p

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Michigan, to me, was out, because they lost 50% of their road games, and 2 of 3 down the stretch. You can't go .500 on the road and call yourself one of the four best teams in the country. I suspect the committee thought the same thing.

Penn State vs. Washington is a harder call. Both are conference champions. Penn State's best win is over Ohio State, their second best over Wisconsin. Washington's best win is over Colorado (comparable win to Wisconsin), second best win is over Utah. So, edge to Penn State there. But, Penn State lost to Pitt, a team that finished Fourth in the ACC Coastal Division, and got completed routed by Michigan. Washington lost to USC. The committee doesn't always care about who you lose to, but I think in this case, it came down to that.

I do want to note that I think Oklahoma got jobbed in all of this, with Washington getting in. If they schedule Rutgers (like Washington did) instead of Ohio State and finish the year 11-1 on an 11-game winning streak, they are in the playoffs. Even if they schedule Sam Houston instead of Houston and finish 11-1, they are probably in over Washington. Yes, they lost to both Houston and Ohio State. But, they'd have been rewarded - like Washington was - if they hadn't scheduled them both. I'm not advocating for Oklahoma to be in, mind you. Just wary of the message it sends.

22. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Well, obviously if you are Washington, then continue to have the easiest schedule because the risk of a tougher schedule is not making the BCS.

23. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Alabama will win.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    cubman987 and DarthIntegral like this.
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm in as "Inty Aint Come to Pick Classes"

heels1785 likes this.