Arena The College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    Darth_Smeagol likes this.
  2. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
  3. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
  4. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    No way, 'SEC' fans are already insufferable.

That whole thing is stupid anyway....I can't see any Jets fans chanting 'AFC EAST!' if the Pats win the Super Bowl.
    Lowbacca_1977 and DarthTunick like this.
  5. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    So...Texas A&M for national champs? :p

I'm glad I watched the season premier of the Bachelor instead of the game. Geesh.
  6. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    Looking forward to the four team playoff.
  7. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    Though I want Alabama to win this game, it would have been nice if Notre Dame had shown up for it.
  8. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Seriously, I was just going to say that this is the best ad for playoffs ever. Just because a team hasn't lost doesn't mean they're the best. Clearly ND hasn't played any teams like this.

The best comment of the night by the callers, "Contrary to comments on social media, no, Oregon can't make it here in time for the second half."
    Rew likes this.
  9. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
  10. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Didn't their coach say at halftime when asked how they could get back in to it 'Alabama could not come out for the second half'? LOL.
  11. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Man, not even close tonight.
  12. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
  13. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    LOL @ ND for sure but after the first half I was hoping for a crazy 70-0 game.
  14. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Wow, that was mostly just really boring. Except for the part where an o-lineman pushed his own QB. Lol
    DarthTunick likes this.
  15. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    Almost... [face_plain]
  16. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    Ugh, and I have to go back to the South now.
  17. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    It's going to be interesting to hear Mike and Mike later in the morning.
  18. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Did anyone see Darnell Dockett tweeting at AJ McCarron's girlfriend? Massive LOL.
  19. Juliet316 Streak for Colors Bonanza Winner

Game Winner
    star 7
    Oh that will end well.
  20. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    Well, got up at a little after three in the morning, just in time to see ND down 21-0, put together a decent drive starting deep in the their own end, then punt and fail to stop Bama though a combination of great play by the Tide and incredibly poor tackling. Went back to bed before Alabama scored, no need to stay and watch after Te'o missed a tackle in the Alabama backfield on 3rd and 3. Well deserved win by the Tide, very disappointing performance by us. Always disappointing when your team plays far below it's potential, which I do think was the case. Alabama was nevertheless the better, more complete, team, though, and I don't mean to take anyhting away from them, though.

I am a bit defensive though about the "ND didn't belong" arguments for a playoff, though. SJ, we didn't go 11-0 playing patsies, we played one of the tougher schedules in the country. Beat Stanford, who Oregon lost to. Beat Michigan, who gave Georgia a hell of a game. Beat Oklahoma convincingly in Norman. We fully deserved to be there, certainly more than Oregon, K State or Georgia, who had their crack at Alabama and also lost to Florida.

Overall, though, a great year for ND, far beyond anything we expected at the start of the year. Some key losses to graduation, but a good recruiting class coming in, hopefully some talent on offense. Certainly much to look forward to.

EDIT: one point I meant to make about the blowout in the second paragraph -- blow outs like that aren't at all atypical in big college bowls, actually fairly commonplace, and have at least as much to do with how teams handle the layoff as how well matched the teams are. Some coaches (Saban especially) are very good at dealing with the layoff, others aren't. If one thing worries me about ND going forward, it's that Kelly may fall into the latter group.
    Last edited by yankee8255, Jan 8, 2013
  21. Eeth-my-Koth Chosen One

star 9
    I still don't see how ND beat Stanford.
    It's possible Stanford was food poisoned or something.

Beating Oklahoma this year isn't too big of a deal.
    Last edited by Eeth-my-Koth, Jan 8, 2013
  22. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    Honestly, I only saw the first half, if Stanford had had a better quarterback, they could have had a significant lead at half time.

Edit: for those in the ND didn't belong camp, who did? Oregon, who didn't even make it to their conference championship? K State, who got blown out by a poor Baylor team? Should the season have ended after the SEC title game?
  23. Rew Force Ghost

star 4
    I think you're confusing Georgia for South Carolina (to whom Michigan gave a hell of a game--and it was South Carolina to whom Georgia lost, not Florida).

And if you want my honest opinion, I think it was Ohio State who belonged in that BCS championship game with Alabama--just a damn shame about those NCAA sanctions. What we really need, though, is an 8-team playoff. (I would've liked seeing ND in such a tournament.)

Speaking of South Carolina, congratulations to Jadeveon Clowney for winning All-America Player of the Year. :D
    heels1785 likes this.
  24. Bazinga'd SWC/PT/ Spinoff Manager -Destroyer of Spam

Manager
    star 5

Texas A&M is going to be a beast in the SEC while Johnny Football stays. Their recruiting class is insane.

EDIT: They are also losing a bunch of players to the draft. Regardless, ESPN ranks them #5 for 2013. http://espn.go.com/college-football...ne-college-football-way-too-early-2013-top-25
    Last edited by Bazinga'd, Jan 8, 2013
  25. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    Eight is too much. I can't sit here and think that teams 5-8 are worthy of having a crack at the championship. I think it cheapens the regular season even more than the new "playoff" system will.

Four is just right and it needs to be renamed a "Tournament" (just as they do in basketball), because an actual playoff would involve the higher seeds actually earning the right to host those playoff games.

And besides, I believe that the universities would have a logistical nightmare in dealing with getting college fans to a "playoff" game, then a semifinal game and then the championship game at far away neutral sites.

If they do ever go to eight, I think that the higher seeds should definitely get to host the first round and semifinal games and have the championship at a neutral site.
    Last edited by DT421, Jan 8, 2013
    yankee8255 likes this.