Arena The College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    Notre Dame's tradition Blue-Gold game was last Saturday, the highlight was 6'6", 350lbs. nose tackle Louis Nix lining up at quarterback in a shotgun for a 2 point conversion, looked incredibly athletic running a quarterback draw.

Or, to put it another way, who needs Gunner Kiel when you have Irish Chocolate?
    DarthIntegral likes this.
  2. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    I eagerly await Bill Belicheat stealing that and using it with Vince WIlfork next season.:p
  3. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
  4. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    Just want to point out that not only did a MAC team bust the BCS, but a MAC player went #1 overall in the NFL Draft.
  5. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Ok so I'm an Aggie and I have a Johnny Football shirt, but this is getting ridiculous. I just hope the Aggies know they're putting a huge target on their backs with all of this coverage.

"Manziel threw only two uncatchable passes in 29 blindfolded attempts" with only a clap from his receiver to know where the person was.
  6. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    What does everyone think of the preseason poll of:

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Stanford
  7. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I would go Alabama, Louisville, Ohio State right now.

Not sold on Stanford (so much lost in the Draft), and especially not Oregon (new coach, NCAA sanction distraction). Also think Georgia vs. South Carolina could determine a top 3 team, they are both loaded again this year.
  8. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    Ohio State should not be the #2 team in the nation.

To do so focuses way too much on the "0" in last year's performance, and not enough on the "12".

(Now, don't me wrong. I'm proud of the "0". Anytime you can go undefeated, it's a great thing. You should celebrate.)

But, let's be honest. Who did Ohio State beat last year? Wisconsin? TSUN? Nebraska? And who did they beat convincingly? Nebraska.

And ... who did they lose? Plenty on defense.

I'm high on this team. I love Urban's system. I love Braxton Miller. But Ohio State is not the second best team in the nation entering this season. They have too much to prove. Can the defense get it done? Are the young kids on offense ready to be real play makers? Can Miller stay healthy? Can Miller avoid being a one-man show?

I'd put Alabama, Texas A&M, Georgia, and Stanford ahead of the Buckeyes right now. Without a second thought.
  9. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    The Worldwide Leader agrees with you, Inty. Currently, they have you listed as the #1 team in the nation.
  10. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    So then, like I stated last year, did Ohio State peak too early since they ran the table last year. Their schedule is very easy this year except for the last game at Michigan. Almost everyone is saying that they might again go undefeated. Alabama has to face Texas A&M at College Station; granted it's early in the season, but it should be the number one game that's watched that weekend. Georgia and South Carolina face each other with that win probably deciding who wins the SEC East.

Louisville has their last year in the Big East before going to the ACC. Stanford surprisingly is above Oregon now that Kelly has gone to coach the Eagles. And what about USC's downfall with Kiffin; surely he can't last there forever, can he?
  11. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Louisville should win every game by double digits. Their schedule is just hideous- if they start high enough, they could slide in, should the SEC beat itself to death again.
  12. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    I don't see where Ohio State running the table has anything to do with how they perform this year.

If they go 11-1 or 12-0 or 10-2 last year, it was all about growth and learning how to operate in Urban's system.

I highly doubt the team starts feeling "extra pressure" if they get to 23, 24, 25 wins in a row.

For the record, I'm predicting a 13-1 season for the Buckeyes this year. 11-0 start to the season, loss at TSUN, win over TSUN in the B1G title game, then a Rose Bowl win. Setting up 14-0 the following year (Miller's senior season) with Ohio State beating Florida in the Title game to end the SEC streak.
  13. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I believe that my Vols should beat Austin Peay, South Alabama, Western Kentucky, Kentucky, and maybe Missouri. All of this occurring while Tyler Bray is wasting his life away pretending to be Peyton Manning on the KC practice squad when he could be helping us win in a meaningful senior season.

Spurrier, retire. And James Franklin, go get paid out west or something. That'll get us back into bowl contention.
  14. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Everett Golson no longer enrolled at Notre Dame.
  15. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    It's been a pretty crappy 2013 from an Irish perspective. At least we have small comfort in the OSU president getting kicked into retirement.
  16. DT421 Force Ghost

star 5
    http://college-football.si.com/2013/06/26/oregon-ducks-ncaa-sanctions/?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

So the Ducks commit recruiting infractions and don't get a bowl ban? Some folks in Columbus have some questions for the NCAA.

And something has to be done about head coaches that run for the NFL before these sanctions hit the schools they leave in ruin. Cheat Carroll did it and now Kelly. He would have faced an 18 month show-cause penalty (Essentially a ban from coaching), but is instead cashing big checks from the Eagles. Something needs to be done about that.
    Last edited by DT421, Jun 26, 2013
    Darth McClain likes this.
  17. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Totally agree, @DT421. Hard to think of ways in which these coaches can still be punished after they've swapped employers, but in a perfect world, I'd like to see the NFL cooperate.
  18. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Yep, something needs to be done. Commit violations, get banned. It should be as simple as that.
  19. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    And LOL at ChipKelly not being allowed to coach in college for 18 months. I mean, hello! Coach of the Eagles now. I somehow doubt Lord Goodell is going to say Kelly can't coach the Eagles for 18 months.
    Last edited by Juliet316, Jun 26, 2013
  20. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Every time one of these situations comes up, it's the NCAA's punishments of departed coaches is almost laughable.
  21. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    If you go on twitter search out Mark Madden or Rushel Shell. If you aren't familiar with Shell he left Pitt to run away from his baby momma and play football on the west coast. After it didn't work out he asked Pitt to come back and the coach said nope. Madden a sports talk show host in Pittsburgh tore him apart and Shell actually started tweeting back. Its a good read.
  22. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Don't. Mark Madden's insufferable. :p
    Juliet316 likes this.
  23. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
  24. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    Phenomenal sorry story. Caught it on Facebook yesterday. Chatted about it at my local soccer pub tonight
  25. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7