main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That pretty much end anyone wanting to expand at the ACC's expense. With the B1G and Big XII having the same in place and no one leaving the SEC, that leaves the remnants of the old Big East to be picked at if you want any additional expansion, as will as Boise.

In other words, expect movement to so, unless the O'Bannon case changes the game that much.

2. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I would guess that Maryland now winning their case and having to pay less to exit the ACC now is pretty much a moot point with the 15 years GOR agreement for the ACC schools, so mainly C-USA, the former Big East, and Boise State or BYU are what essentially remains to select from. So now the best schools available are Pitt, UConn, Cincinnati, Houston, Rice, Memphis, Boise State, BYU, San Diego State, UNLV, and then a lot of maybe's like Tulsa, SMU, Marshall, UCF, USF, etc.

If the Big Ten expands now then Notre Dame is very essential towards that cause, then they can maybe still break the ACC up; more than likely they would be best to now wait as UConn is really not a great choice but the only school where they don't have a presence in that state, but then Rutgers stretch into New Jersey, New York, and maybe Connecticut might make that a moot point as well. So, if Notre Dame comes soon, then UConn is the next best selection, otherwise Cincinnati is the next best option so why not just wait 15 years when you can then get better schools.

The Big 12 can still pick up Boise State and BYU if that is the direction they want to go, the Texas schools have practically no chance since TCU joined. Otherwise, Pitt and Cincinnati would actually be great pickups for the Big 12 to go along with WV. So, if I was the Big 12, I'd grab Pitt and Cincinnati now while they can, and then go west if Boise State or BYU would come together as a group, otherwise they would have 12 with Pitt and Cincinnati.

The SEC can also pretty much now wait out the 15 year time period as they are set. Sure, they want VT and NC State, or NC and Duke, but now that's not going to happen. Since the Big 12's GOR expires first now, that might be the best option once that occurs, then they can grab Kansas and Oklahoma. The same could be stated for the Big Ten; wait out each league's GOR expiration and then raid the conference; they would definitely make a play for Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas if they can convince Texas to lose the Longhorn Network (which isn't really making money anyway).

3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Notre Dame's tradition Blue-Gold game was last Saturday, the highlight was 6'6", 350lbs. nose tackle Louis Nix lining up at quarterback in a shotgun for a 2 point conversion, looked incredibly athletic running a quarterback draw.

Or, to put it another way, who needs Gunner Kiel when you have Irish Chocolate?

DarthIntegral likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I eagerly await Bill Belicheat stealing that and using it with Vince WIlfork next season.:p

5. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Just want to point out that not only did a MAC team bust the BCS, but a MAC player went #1 overall in the NFL Draft.

7. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Ok so I'm an Aggie and I have a Johnny Football shirt, but this is getting ridiculous. I just hope the Aggies know they're putting a huge target on their backs with all of this coverage.

"Manziel threw only two uncatchable passes in 29 blindfolded attempts" with only a clap from his receiver to know where the person was.

8. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    What does everyone think of the preseason poll of:

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Stanford

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I would go Alabama, Louisville, Ohio State right now.

Not sold on Stanford (so much lost in the Draft), and especially not Oregon (new coach, NCAA sanction distraction). Also think Georgia vs. South Carolina could determine a top 3 team, they are both loaded again this year.

10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Ohio State should not be the #2 team in the nation.

To do so focuses way too much on the "0" in last year's performance, and not enough on the "12".

(Now, don't me wrong. I'm proud of the "0". Anytime you can go undefeated, it's a great thing. You should celebrate.)

But, let's be honest. Who did Ohio State beat last year? Wisconsin? TSUN? Nebraska? And who did they beat convincingly? Nebraska.

And ... who did they lose? Plenty on defense.

I'm high on this team. I love Urban's system. I love Braxton Miller. But Ohio State is not the second best team in the nation entering this season. They have too much to prove. Can the defense get it done? Are the young kids on offense ready to be real play makers? Can Miller stay healthy? Can Miller avoid being a one-man show?

I'd put Alabama, Texas A&M, Georgia, and Stanford ahead of the Buckeyes right now. Without a second thought.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The Worldwide Leader agrees with you, Inty. Currently, they have you listed as the #1 team in the nation.

12. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    So then, like I stated last year, did Ohio State peak too early since they ran the table last year. Their schedule is very easy this year except for the last game at Michigan. Almost everyone is saying that they might again go undefeated. Alabama has to face Texas A&M at College Station; granted it's early in the season, but it should be the number one game that's watched that weekend. Georgia and South Carolina face each other with that win probably deciding who wins the SEC East.

Louisville has their last year in the Big East before going to the ACC. Stanford surprisingly is above Oregon now that Kelly has gone to coach the Eagles. And what about USC's downfall with Kiffin; surely he can't last there forever, can he?

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Louisville should win every game by double digits. Their schedule is just hideous- if they start high enough, they could slide in, should the SEC beat itself to death again.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't see where Ohio State running the table has anything to do with how they perform this year.

If they go 11-1 or 12-0 or 10-2 last year, it was all about growth and learning how to operate in Urban's system.

I highly doubt the team starts feeling "extra pressure" if they get to 23, 24, 25 wins in a row.

For the record, I'm predicting a 13-1 season for the Buckeyes this year. 11-0 start to the season, loss at TSUN, win over TSUN in the B1G title game, then a Rose Bowl win. Setting up 14-0 the following year (Miller's senior season) with Ohio State beating Florida in the Title game to end the SEC streak.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I believe that my Vols should beat Austin Peay, South Alabama, Western Kentucky, Kentucky, and maybe Missouri. All of this occurring while Tyler Bray is wasting his life away pretending to be Peyton Manning on the KC practice squad when he could be helping us win in a meaningful senior season.

Spurrier, retire. And James Franklin, go get paid out west or something. That'll get us back into bowl contention.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Everett Golson no longer enrolled at Notre Dame.

17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    It's been a pretty crappy 2013 from an Irish perspective. At least we have small comfort in the OSU president getting kicked into retirement.

18. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    http://college-football.si.com/2013/06/26/oregon-ducks-ncaa-sanctions/?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

So the Ducks commit recruiting infractions and don't get a bowl ban? Some folks in Columbus have some questions for the NCAA.

And something has to be done about head coaches that run for the NFL before these sanctions hit the schools they leave in ruin. Cheat Carroll did it and now Kelly. He would have faced an 18 month show-cause penalty (Essentially a ban from coaching), but is instead cashing big checks from the Eagles. Something needs to be done about that.

Darth McClain likes this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Totally agree, DT421. Hard to think of ways in which these coaches can still be punished after they've swapped employers, but in a perfect world, I'd like to see the NFL cooperate.

20. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Yep, something needs to be done. Commit violations, get banned. It should be as simple as that.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And LOL at ChipKelly not being allowed to coach in college for 18 months. I mean, hello! Coach of the Eagles now. I somehow doubt Lord Goodell is going to say Kelly can't coach the Eagles for 18 months.

22. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Every time one of these situations comes up, it's the NCAA's punishments of departed coaches is almost laughable.

23. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    If you go on twitter search out Mark Madden or Rushel Shell. If you aren't familiar with Shell he left Pitt to run away from his baby momma and play football on the west coast. After it didn't work out he asked Pitt to come back and the coach said nope. Madden a sports talk show host in Pittsburgh tore him apart and Shell actually started tweeting back. Its a good read.

24. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Don't. Mark Madden's insufferable. :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003