main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2024-25 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    OSU 17 -- PSU 17

0:09

Who's up for some OT?

EDIT: 31-24 OSU, Final/2OT. O-H!

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Holy ****.

I'm alive, friends.

Darth Tunes and dp4m like this.
  3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    BUUUUUUUCCCKKKKKSSSSS

jcgoble3 and DarthIntegral like this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That OT for OSU/PSU should not have happened. Barrett's one run was pretty cool though.

5. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
  6. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    So, so close. :( I'm just glad the Gamecocks didn't get run out of the stadium like many were expecting. We actually looked respectable last night! (Well, except for our defense naturally.)

7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    And the first playoff rankings are out. Let the bitching and moaning commence!

8. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    At least two of the top four will knock each other out before the season is over, so I'm not the least bit concerned about who's in at the moment.

9. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Yeah, I think there's going to be alot of movement before this is over. The committee apparently even said so.

I do have a gripe about Notre Dame only being tenth, though. I'm not saying we should be in the top 4 by any means, but 10 is way too low. The AP has us about right at 6th, certainly ahead of K State, Michigan State and TCU. I'd even put us 7th (for now) behind Ole Miss.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm pretty sure the release of official committee rankings at this point in time is simply a tool for ESPN to get TV views, website hits, and social media traffic. Because not a damn thing in those ranking matter. First, because so many games need to be played that a team currently sitting 16th or 17th can get to the Final Four. Hell, you could even argue that Duke, sitting 24th, has a shot to get there if they run the table and take down an unbeaten FSU team in impressive fashion. But, more importantly, the final rankings from the committee (you know, the only ones that matter) require the committee to give weight to conference champions - which no one has a claim to yet.

My only issue is with Ole Miss, who is basically riding one good win (home, vs Alabama) to the #4 slot. Which puts them 10 slots higher than a one-loss team that has a better signature win (Arizona, on the road vs. Oregon). I don't see where Ole Miss has done anything that makes them ten slots higher than Arizona, except be in the SEC.

But, it's early. I'd be willing to wager a lot of money that any team in the top 17 that runs the table will be right there for a seat at the table, and probably in with everyone else in front of them losing and not claiming a conference title.

Rew and yankee8255 like this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I don't see how Notre Dame playing FSU to basically a win and being a 1-loss team is worse than Ole Miss being outplayed by LSU.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    It's not, but Ole Miss also beat Alabama. Notre Dame doesn't have a win anywhere near as good as that one. Notre Dame at 10 feels about right. Good wins, best loss in the country. But no signature win to hang its hat on. Ditto for Ohio State where they are. Now, if they beat Michigan State in East Lansing, and Nebraska on a neutral field, they should get some consideration. But not over an undefeated (or even one-loss) ACC Champion, a one-loss Big 12 Champion, or any champion from the SEC or Pac 12. But, I think they'd have a better resume than a one-loss Notre Dame, even if their loss was much, much, much worse.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What happens when WVU wins the Big 12 Championship as a 2-loss team?

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    In my opinion, a two-loss champion from the B1G, Big XII, or ACC would be in trouble. Opens the door for a strong runner-up in the SEC/Pac-12 and/or one-loss Notre Dame. I think if all conferences produce a one-loss (or zero-loss) champion, we'll see four conference champs in the playoffs.

15. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Like I said, I don't think ND should be top 4, just not behind Mich State, and TCU, both of whom got clobbered in their losses. TCU by a team the committee only ranks 13th. Two of the three teams directly ahead of us are there because they have the same "marquee win" (Oklahoma). But Oklahoma have two losses, so maybe it wasn't that big of a win? After all, that's the knock on our Stanford win.

As for Ole Miss, there's always been something of a self-fulfilling prophecy aspect to the rankings, and probably always will be. Their loss is to 1-loss Alabama. Why is that a good loss? Because Alabama is a top-ranked team. But they have a loss.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    As long as Oregon does not make it, I don't care who does. I'd love to see Mississippi State win this whole thing, just for giggles.

17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    UPSET ALERT: #25 Louisville leads #2 Florida State 24-21 early in the fourth quarter. The Cardinals held a 21-0 lead at one point. Game is on ESPN.

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Come on Louisville!

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    And Florida State escapes again.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    That's three escapes this year. Wouldn't count on a fourth.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    ESPN is reporting that Michigan's AD is resigning.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    It doesn't quite matter yet but it gives a very good idea of what teams need to make the playoff.

Pretty much everyone in the top-7 is 100% guaranteed to make the playoff if they win out. The teams from 8 to 12 will need some help but still have a really good chance considering how many of those top teams still have to play each other. Then those teams from 13 to 17 are going to need a LOT of help, but still have a puncher's chance.

23. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Beautiful OT win for Duke! :D

Though I'll be honest and admit even I think Duke got lucky that the Pitt kicker missed that chip shot FG at the end of regulation.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    LOL GEORGIA LOL

PCCViking and DarthIntegral like this.
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Nice survival win from TCU.