main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2024-25 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Not just ESPN.

Fox Sports
    Sports Illustrated
    SB Nation
    CBS

Just about everyone has Ohio State in.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ESPN's got my Vols headed to the Liberty Bowl against West Virginia. That'd be a tough game, defending the Pritchett air raid, but the 15 extra practices will do us, by far the youngest team in the SEC, so much good.

1- A
    2- O
    3- FSU
    4- OSU
    5- Baylor
    6- TCU

Oregon-FSU in Rose
    Alabama-OSU in Suga

Big 12 shut out. Urban Meyer deserves a statue.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Amazing job by Urban this year.

I feel for the TCU kids.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    O'Doyle rules!

5. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm excited to play Alabama but am nervous as heck.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I

MOTHER****ING

O

8. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Oregon will win it all.

timmoishere likes this.
  9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Florida State has no chance. They've struggled against mediocre teams all year. There's no way they can handle Oregon's high-powered offense.

Beezer likes this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    My money is always on Nick Saban.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Someone go back in time and tell me this is the final four on the day they announced Braxton Miller's injury. Or the night of Ohio State - Virginia Tech.

s65horsey, dp4m, jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Oregon-FSU is an intriguing matchup, I think. Not too much difference between Auburn and Oregon's offenses, I imagine FSU will replicate some of their preparations from last year.

I think the real question is how effective FSU's offense, their weaker half, can be against what appears to be an improving Oregon defense. Oregon is an 8.5 point favorite to open, I think they'll be 3-4 by kickoff. Bama is a 9.5, probably will be 4-5.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Gary Patterson has to be the classiest coach in the country. No spite, totally complimentary of the 4 and the panel/system. He'll get a great bowl game and probably win National COY for what he did in his 2nd year in a power conference, so all is not lost.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    This will be the third game the Buckeyes play as underdogs this season. The other two were our best performances: Michigan State and Wisconsin

Juke Skywalker and jcgoble3 like this.
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Also, if both teams are motivated, Baylor vs Michigan State is one helluva matchup. Classic offense/defense game, both teams lost out to Ohio State for their season goals. Best of the big four bowls for my money.

16. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

Ironically, having a conference championship game had cost the Big 12 three times in the past: 1996 Nebraska, 1998 Kansas State, and 2001 Texas.

heels1785 likes this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    It should have cost '03 Oklahoma, too. Abused by K-State, still manage to back into the title game against LSU.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, who all has made calls to the Big XII today?

Memphis? Cincinnati? BYU? SMU? Boise State? Colorado State?

19. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I'm an Ohio State fan, but TCU and Baylor both had solid cases and I wouldn't have griped (much) if one of them had gotten in and not us. But that's always going to be the way with these somewhat subjective systems. You could expand the field to 50 teams and the 51st team would feel like they got hosed.

heels1785 and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Exactly right.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'd prefer a fluid field, as tough as that would be to still. Six teams would have been perfect this year. Maybe eight some years, five others, four some.

But Florida State vs TCU, winner to face Oregon, and Ohio State vs TCU, winner getting Alabama would have been perfect this season.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
  23. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    I don't get the case for OSU aside from the conference. TCU had a very tough schedule and should have gotten in imho. The real question is how many years until an 8 or 16 team playoff?

24. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I would say 3 years max and then we'll have an 8 team playoff. They stick will the current system at least 1 to 2 more years, but if the same inequalities happen again, then first the Big 12 needs to expand. Grab whoever you can since it makes no difference. Have a conference playoff like the others and then let your resume shine.

Really though, I still expect your big 4 conferences of 16 teams each for a total of 64 in 4 different super conferences which will split off from the NCAA to form their own playoff system. Notre Dame will need to be exclusively ACC. Big 12 gets absorbed by ACC, Pac-12, Big Ten, SEC.

25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    The 4-team playoff is locked in for 12 years due to the television contract with ESPN for it, and no expansion or other change to the system can be made until that contract expires.

heels1785 likes this.