main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2024-25 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Third String It To Win it

Considered

Third String Conspiracy
    Keeping up with the (Cardale) Jones
    Trade Tattoos for Healthy Quarterbacks

jcgoble3 and s65horsey like this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Paul Chryst is a great hire for the Badgers. Gary Anderson is going to go down as a weird experiment - Chryst brings back Bielema/Alvarez ball, and Wisconsin will be much stronger in recruiting.

gersh, you happy with the hire?

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Go to a football game and a barroom brawl breaks out:

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Hate to see that, especially at the end of such a historic matchup.

In other news, the head coach of Memphis, Justin Fuente, is going places - I give him one more year there, before he leaps to a job like Maryland or California (both of which will likely be open).

Also, Mike Bobo, long-maligned Offensive Coordinator (and former quarterback) under Richt at UGA will be stepping in to replace Jim McElwain at Colorado State. Bobo is probably one of the 20 best recruiters in the country - potentially a great hire for CSU.

5. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Biggest team brawl (in the U.S. at least) since Miami-FIU in 2006, and certainly the nastiest since the Malice in the Palace, although that was mostly Pacers vs Pistons fans.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, as bad as this was (and it was pretty bad), thankfully none of the fans were involved in this one.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    This is one of the hidden things about the new College Football playoff. It's great for a team like Colorado State.

In-state recruits that can play at a high, Division 1 level that aren't recruited by a blue blood out of state have basically two choices: Colorado and Colorado State.

Colorado can walk in and promise games against Oregon, USC, Stanford. The Pac-12. etc.

Colorado State can walk in and promise a much better chance at playing in the Fiesta Bowl or Cotton Bowl.

It's really hard to imagine Colorado having the kind of season Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA, or Oregon just completed, given the current state of their program.
    It's really easy to imagine Colorado State having the kind of season Boise State just had.

That reality didn't happen under the BCS. It was "go undefeated at Colorado State" if you wanted a big bowl, and otherwise you were going to the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl. It really can be a game changer for schools like CSU.

jcgoble3 and heels1785 like this.
  8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    That's an outstanding point, Inty - I agree totally.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Narduzzi is such a good hire for Pitt.

He's going to speak the language of the fans, play a style of football the fans want to see in Pittsburgh, and be able to recruit from a fertile environment of kids who want to play that kind of football (because their dads and grandpas tell them that's how the Steelers play).

I can't believe Illinois would rather spend another season with Tim Beckman than try to pursue Narduzzi. But, hey, that's why they are Illinois.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Gary Patterson is AP COY for the second time in his career. Nobody comes close to the job he did, and the voting reflected that.

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I disagree.

Not saying he doesn't deserve it and isn't a deserving winner. But to say nobody comes close to the job he did is off, in my opinion.

I realize, I'm biased, and I realize no coach at Ohio State will ever win COY because of the tradition and resources at Ohio State, but to make the playoff after losing two Heisman Candidate quarterbacks? I don't care what resources you have. That's a hell of a coaching job.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, Urban Meyer and possibly Njck Saban put in the best coaching jobs of their careers this year.

But you said it - it comes down to resources - TCU won the Big 12 two years after leaving the Mountain West. That just does not happen.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    SI says Harbaugh to Michigan is done deal.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Earlier reports have the Harbaugh deal at 6/48 million. That would shake up the landscape of college coach salaries, a bit:

1) Harbaugh, Michigan - 8 million
    2) Saban, Alabama, 7.3 million
    3) Stoops, Oklahoma, 5.3 million
    4) Sumlin, TAMU, 5 million
    5) Meyer, TOSU, 4.8 million
    6) Miles, LSU, 4.5 million
    7) Briles, Baylor, 4.25 million
    8) Malzahn, Auburn and the following coaches, all at 4 million:
    Ferentz, Iowa (lol)
    Franklin, Penn State
    Kelly, Notre Dame
    Spurrier, South Carolina
    Fisher, Florida State
    9) Sarkisian, SoCal, 3.75 million
    10) Dantonio, Michigan St., 3.7 million

15. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    No defense in the Liberty Bowl. Gig 'em Aggies!

Sent from my iHorse

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Oklahoma is embarrassing themselves tonight.

If an NFL team comes calling for Bob Stoops, all the more reason for him to bolt.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm actually, genuinely excited and happy that Harbaugh is coming to TTUN. A good Michigan is good for college football, good for the Big Ten, and good for Ohio State. I really hope he's got them back to a 10+ win team in about two years. And, that's he's there for longer than 4 years. The thoughts of Ohio State / Michigan / Michigan State being, effectively, the LSU / Auburn / Alabama of the Big Ten, and all being relevant to the Playoff Committee year in and year out is enticing. The thought of Ohio State having a "down year" (maybe 9-10 wins, not competing for the playoff) and beating Michigan to end our regular season and knock them out of the playoffs is juicy (just being real, Ohio State cannot contend for the playoff every season).

Makes up for Nebraska going so boring/safe on their selection. Wisconsin will continue to be Wisconsin, and Chryst should give them stability where they can contend for the B1G West every year and contend for a playoff spot ever 3-5 years.

LloydChristmas and heels1785 like this.
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm all about SEC Strength in bowls or whatever, but it would be orgasmic to watch Motorbike Turd Blossom and his Louisville team stomp the everloving **** out of Georgia.

19. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Well, we'll always have LSU. And the Pac-12's so far spotless bowl record.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    We have a top-ten matchup before lunch today.

Forget the playoff itself, we should be thanking the college football selection committee sponsored by Nisan for that miracle.

21. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Haha as if I needed more reason to hate Jim Harbaugh. This should be fun.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Wow. TCU is looking like a completely different class than Ole Miss early on.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Boise is ruining the team that beat Oregon. TCU ruined the team that beat Alabama.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    And Boise State with the Statue of Liberty for a touchdown.

25. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I just had to bring up the Pac-12's record. Sorry, Pac-12 fans. But, hey, it's only the second quarter. Plenty of time for Boise to put up 50.