main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. PearsOfKrissto

PearsOfKrissto Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 21, 2015
    Rankings thoughts before the CFP rankings come out?
    1. Clemmy
    2. Bama
    3. Notre Dame
    4. Oklahoma
    5 Iowa ( they haven't played a top 25 team. Wisconsin I'm not counting because, really?)
    6.Sparty
    7. Bayloria

That's my main thoughts.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

That's what I posted in the CFP game here in the JCC so that's what I think too. :p

But realistically, anything 4-6 can be any of those in my opinion. It'll still shake out more by the end of Conference Championship weekend...

PearsOfKrissto likes this.
  3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Northwestern? You know, team that beat Stanford. Transitive property rarely holds in sports, but it does in strength of schedule.

4. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    Three way tie breakers aren't a huge help though. See Kansas St/ Baylor/ TCU last year.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    By far, I think the toughest schedules this year have been Alabama, then like most of the Big 12, then some of the other teams...

If you put any stock into ESPN's FPI, you even have a bunch of the Big 12 unranked teams like WVU in the top 25...

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Michigan State, quietly, have a very good resume. At Ohio State, at *ichigan, vs Air Force (8-3, Division winner), vs Oregon.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

But if they win out, is it enough? Unclear! Probably?

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    if Michigan State wins out, they are in. No doubt about it. There are approximately five teams I put in that category:

Clemson (obviously)
    Alabama (obviously)
    Iowa (fairly obviously)
    Michigan State
    Florida

I think there's a VERY good chance we see a repeat of last year. Where Notre Dame is #3 in the penultimate college football rankings, and then jumped and left out completely. Michigan State, if they beat an undefeated Iowa, could be a team to jump them.

9. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    It's still not out of the realm of possibility for Stanford to still get in, if they put a huge beatdown on Notre Dame this week. A lot of other teams will have to lose for that to happen, though.

As much as I was delighted for Oregon to (potentially) knock Stanford out of the playoff hunt, if they do get in, that means Oregon might get to play in the Rose Bowl again!

10. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Your wrong, it was a catch and error by the refs.

11. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Very strong rumors that LSU is joining the list of schools looking for new coaches

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Is it odd that I really want to see Les Miles go to USC? Just for the Press Conferences.

dp4m likes this.
  13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    They'll have to pay Les 15 million to go away - in the end, don't think they'll do it.

Truly sad news, Lloyd Carr's 5-year old grandson died today from a rare, inoperable form of brain cancer. Just a tiny little kid. OSU (top) and Michigan State (bottom) wore decals for him on Saturday, a really tremendous gesture:

[​IMG]

DarthIntegral and PearsOfKrissto like this.
  14. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    Sooooo i cannot find the updated as of tonight rankings

15. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    The CFP committee ones that are released Tuesday nights?

16. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    yes sir

oh my NVM. thank you. strike this from the record

17. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    We've all been there :)

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    #8? Overrated

19. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    Well. Now I'm pleasantly surprised

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Rew

Tom Hermann, former OSU OC and current Houston HC, is out of the running at South Carolina. Justin Fuente is going to get a massive contract from Memphis, also likely out of the running.

Kirby Smart now considered front runner. I'd rank five prospects as:

1. Smart (DC/Alabama)
    2. Les Miles (Former HC/LSU) - could stay in the SEC with a school who recently was top-5 nationally, lower expectations, and still gives him a chance to stick it to LSU and Bama every so often. I think that, next to Southern Cal, who will get an NFL coach, this is the best job.
    3. Mack Brown
    4. Sonny Dykes (HC/Cal)
    5. Rich Rodriguez (HC/Arizona) - owns a home in South Carolina from time as Clemson assistant, has strong recruiting ties to state.

21. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    Mack Brown? Being out for a year or two is a significant disadvantage. I don't think he would be let back in to a power school with high expectations

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Hugely disappointed that Navy lost today. I really wanted them to be in a NY6 Bowl, throw the committee off and force them to hold off final Bowl Decisions for a week, and give Keenan Reynolds a chance to at least make it to New York for the Heisman ceremony.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

Lou Holtz is the model, and South Carolina is the school that brought him back. He'd be a 4-5 year placeholder, but I think he could do it.

It looks like LSU is going to eat 15 million dollars to fire the best coach in the history of their program. Good luck with your next hire, LSU. I hope you fail miserably and spend a decade regretting this abysmal decision. I guarantee you if South Carolina lands Miles, and from what I read they absolutely will pursue him, Columbia will erupt - "the Hat" is one of the 10 best coaches in the game. VaTech will likely also pursue, but I think the lure of the SEC and the facilities in Columbia gives the Gamecocks the advantage.

Rew and yankee8255 like this.
  24. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    He can absolutely coach.IF SC gets him, it will be rather great for their program. Esp in recruiting. whooowee.Although....I remember what he did to Oklahoma State. For that, he will forever be the jump ship coach that cares more bout money than a program that has given him a chance. OOIOIEHFOHSDFJNJKNS. Emotions pouring out. lol

heels1785 likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    At least Miles didn't end up like Bobby Petrino.