main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Just horrible. If anyone still thinks it's anything resembling a good idea to defend Paterno ...

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    "President Ken Starr transitioning to Chancellor.."

Vomit. Good riddance to Briles. Brilliant football mind, lousy human being.

PearsOfKrissto likes this.
  4. PearsOfKrissto

PearsOfKrissto Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 21, 2015
    What about his son, Kendal Briles? He's stayed awfully quiet throughout this ordeal.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Too bad Al Davis isn't around to hire him. Maybe he'll take a page out of the JayPa book and beg Urban for a job, only to be ignored.

6. Darth Air Raley

Darth Air Raley Jedi Padawan

May 11, 2016
    Briles out at Baylor? Looks like UT will be getting a new head coach!

7. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    If Texas gets rid of Strong, well, I'd wonder if Jerry Jones was investing.

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Mike & Mike is terrible.

But Golic's commentary on Baylor is on the money. The fact that Crypt Keeper Kenneth Starr has been "demoted" to Chancellor and is likely to get his golden parachute filled with cash in a few years is an outrage.

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The fact that the NCAA is unlikely to get involved yet continues to punish schools for 'paying' student athletes is also an outrage.

LloydChristmas and heels1785 like this.
  10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Agreed. I am with you 100% on that one. They are content to put band-aids on that gaping wound by refusing to address the source of the problem.

Also, it's good to see you back, Juliet.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I actually disagree with you.

This is not really an NCAA issue. Baylor, technically, didn't violate NCAA rules. Similar to Penn State, where the NCAA admitted that they overstepped their boundaries (as evidenced by them rescinding and reducing penalties), this is not a case for the NCAA.

The NCAA is broken. It has terrible rules on the books, it has lackluster and inconsistent enforcement of its own rules, and it can't get it's own head out of it's ass.

But this one is not on the NCAA.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    This is different from the Sandusky case (which was absolutely horrific and Paterno and others should have been rightly fired for covering it up, but your ultimately right that the NCAA probably shouldn't have gotten involved); this involves student athletes who commited rape against women and the school covered it up. If the NCAA can't punish athletes and a school program for covering up/fostering that kind of toxic atmosphere against women, then what good is the NCAA?

DarkEagle and heels1785 like this.
  13. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Inty, honest question, do you think the NCAA actually overstepped their boundaries with Penn State?

I thought they should've shut the damn program down, at least for several years. Obviously wasn't gonna happen, but still.

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yes. I honestly do think the NCAA actually overstepped boundaries. I think it was a Department of Education issue, not an NCAA issue.

The crimes committed at/by Penn State University were heinous. More heinous than any NCAA Sanction could cover. And beyond what the scope of the NCAA should be. Period. They were crimes against basic humanity, not matters of scholarships, eligibility, and win totals. The NCAA doesn't exist to hand out the punishment they handed out to Penn State. It's as simple as that to me. The Federal Government, though? Yeah. They do.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Verne Lundquist is an institution. Won't be the same without him - he's also made Gary Danielson tolerable, which is no easy task.

All that being said, Nessler is fantastic, and should do a great job.

17. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    OH HEY THERE look what showed up today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll just be wearing this for the entire football season, that's all

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Spurrier and Peyton will go into the College HOF together next year. Fitting.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I like how Harbaugh is stirring the pot with Nick Saban with satellite camps and tweets.

20. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Nah, it would have been more fitting if Spurrier had entered the College HOF a year ahead of Peyton since Manning never beat Spurrier. :p

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    You can't spell Citrus without U-T! Such great trashing talking by Spurrier.

PCCViking and heels1785 like this.
  22. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Not to mention his offenses were fun.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Nobody has done it better. My favorite will always be the comment made upon hearing that a fire had destroyed a library at Auburn - Spurrier commented that the real tragedy was that most of the books hadn't been colored in yet.

Additionally -

Crypt Keeper Kenneth Starr will be resigning as Baylor Chancellor - in his words, (that he wants everyone to hear) "as a matter of conscience.."

[​IMG]

- but he'll remain on staff as Law Professor! 10 bucks his salary doesn't change an inch.

[​IMG]

24. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    Guys and Gals, Baker Mayfield gets another year of eligibility! My heart sings with this news

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003