main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I just heard over the radio that the Big 12 Conference will have a Championship Game, most likely to start in 2017.

2. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    A lot of people seem to think my Buckeyes won't be so good this year but I have confidence with Barret leading from the start of the season, as should have been the case last year.

darthlebowski72 likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    waaaaaattt

just announced spurrier memoir will be released on 8/30

[​IMG]

CANT WAIT

[​IMG]

dp4m, PCCViking and DarthIntegral like this.
  4. darthlebowski72

darthlebowski72 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 5, 2001

I have a hard time believing everyone Urban has recruited since 2013 is a bust, which would be the case if OSU is terrible this year. Going into 2014 we all thought they'd struggle and look what happened. Not worried in the least bit.

StarKiller81 likes this.
  5. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Bri'onte Dunn dismissed at Ohio State. Was to compete for starting back position.

Domestic violence on Sunday, dismissed by Wednesday. Much respect to Urban Meyer for handling this immediately - his approach to discipline at OSU has been quite good, and a total 180 from the **** show he ran at UF.

PearsOfKrissto and Juliet316 like this.
  7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Fourteenth! I'll take that.

9. PearsOfKrissto

PearsOfKrissto Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 21, 2015
    #2 Boomer Sooner

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Holy crapzola. Vols are #10 in the coaches' preseason poll.

Please don't collapse under the expectations. Please. Give me one good season.

11. PearsOfKrissto

PearsOfKrissto Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 21, 2015
    Last year was a decent one! I was impressed

heels1785 likes this.
  12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    BYU's Anti-LGBT policies are going to cause issues for it if it wants Big XII Membership.

Certainly an interesting twist in the realignment saga that never ends. BYU, from most standpoints, is the best available partner for the Big XII From a geographic standpoint. From a football standpoint. From a footprint standpoint. Better than Houston. Better than Memphis. Better than Cincinnati. Better than UConn. Better than UCF or USF.

But, when you throw in an issue like this. That's a tougher call. For a conference with Baylor, another conservative religious institution, who has recently amended their own LBGT language, but still remains a little ambiguous.

Part of me wonders if the letter to the Big XII is because word started to leak that BYU was a front runner.

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Okay, so how about some nightmare scenarios for the Playoff?

Scenario 1: 11-1 LSU beats 11-1 Alabama who beat 10-2 Tennessee in the regular season. Tennessee then beats LSU in the SEC Title Game. Leaving Alabama at 11-1, but without even a division title, Tennessee as the SEC Champion, but a loss to 11-1 Alabama. Who does the Playoff Committee take? If the other four champs are at 1 or 0 losses, does the SEC get left out?

Scenario 2: Ohio State loses to Oklahoma, and then a close one to Wisconsin. They then run the table, including a B1G Title Game win over Wisconsin to finish 11-2. Michigan is 11-1, only loss to the Buckeyes on the road.

Scenario 3: Houston beats Oklahoma, Oklahoma beats Ohio State and runs the table to go 11-1, and win the Big XII. Houston is undefeated at 13-0, with a win over the Big XII Champiion, and a possible transitive win over the B1G Champion (assuming something like Scenario 2).

Could you imagine if all three of these came out? I think ESPN would quickly change the rules to avoid the possibility of the B1G and SEC missing the playoffs. I think they'd just cry if the playoff was, say, Houston, Oklahoma, Clemson, and Stanford.

Rew likes this.
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    A neat friendship developing between two very different schools in the SEC.

Last year, historically awful floods devastated the city I was born in - Columbia, SC. The Gamecocks were unable to host their game against LSU, so Les Miles and the Tigers welcomed Carolina to Baton Rouge. Played the Carolina fight song, really went out of their way to be incredible hosts. Sent vast amount in aid, Fournette auctioned his jersey off for relief.

One year later, horribly, the tables have been turned. The massive equipment trucks from Columbia left today, packed with what has to be hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of supplies. Fundraising efforts are widespread and high-profile throughout the state. Carolina band posted a video playing the LSU fight song.

Two schools that could not be more different, especially when it comes to football program history. Now tied together by the hashtag, #GeauxGamecocks.

Rew, Juliet316, PCCViking and 4 others like this.
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Sports, doing what it should

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Juliet316 and Bardan_Jusik like this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Time to roll out the projections...

ACC: 1 - Clemson, 2 - North Carolina, 3 - Miami
    Big 12: 1 - Oklahoma State, 2 - Texas, 3 - Oklahoma
    Big 10: 1 - Ohio State, 2 - Iowa, 3 - Michigan
    Pac 12: 1 - Washington, 2 - UCLA, 3 - Southern Cal
    SEC: 1 - LSU, 2 - Alabama, 3 - Tennessee

CFP: (4) Clemson 28, (1) LSU 24 / (2) Ohio State 35, (3) Oklahoma State 19
    Title Game: (2) Ohio State 24, (4) Clemson 20

Sugar Bowl: Alabama 35, Texas 24
    Rose Bowl: Washington 21, Iowa 20
    Cotton Bowl: Houston 42, North Carolina 20

How they'll finish (post-playoff and bowls):

1 - Ohio State
    2 - Clemson
    3 - LSU
    4 - Oklahoma State
    5 - Alabama
    6 - Houston
    7 - Washington
    8 - Tennessee
    9 - Iowa
    10 - Ole Miss
    11 - Texas
    12 - North Carolina
    13 - UCLA
    14 - Miami (FL)
    15 - Oklahoma
    16 - Boise State
    17 - Southern Cal
    18 - Michigan
    19 - Oregon
    20 - Florida State
    21 - Baylor
    22 - Louisville
    23 - Nebraska
    24 - TCU
    25 - Georgia

Heisman Trophy: 1 - Leonard Fournette/RB, LSU, 2 - JT Barrett/QB, Ohio State, 3 - DeShaun Watson/QB, Clemson, 4 - Myles Gaskin/RB, Washington
    Coach of the Year: Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State
    Upsets of the Year: September 3rd - Houston upsets Oklahoma, October 1st - Louisville upsets Clemson, November 19th - Indiana upsets Michigan

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Oof! You're on the Washington hype train, too, I see. Washington seems a bit too trendy pick this year. Lots of leaps to go from where they've been to winning the Pac-12. I can see them doing something more similar to what Utah did last year - a great start, a rise up the polls, and then a couple of stumbles that seal their fate.

19. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Wisconsin vs LSU at Lambeau Field on Saturday. Awesome.

DAR likes this.
  20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Okay, since I knocked one of your predictions, heelsy, I'll put my own predictions out there

B1G: Ohio State over Iowa
    ACC: Florida State over North Carolina
    Big XII: Oklahoma
    Pac-12: Stanford over UCLA
    SEC: Tennessee over Alabama

Peach Bowl: Stanford beats Florida State
    Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma beats Tennessee
    CFB Champion: Stanford beats Oklahoma

Sugar: Alabama over TCU
    Rose: Ohio State over Oregon
    Cotton: Houston over Notre Dame
    Orange: : Michigan over Clemson

First coach fired: Gus Malzahn
    The Heisman goes to ... Josh Dobbs, QB, Tennessee
    Upset of the Year: October 8th, Indiana beats Ohio State in Columbus

heels1785 likes this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree with you on Malzahn! And we've both got Indiana pulling a big upset.

So I think the moral of the story is that I'm highest on your Bucks, and you're high on my Vols. I appreciate the respect - I can't even begin to imagine what a CFP berth would be like.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm braced for a three-loss season from the Bucks. I kind of view it as the year after Urban's Florida team won the title. Tim Tebow had a masterful season (and won the Heisman), but the team lost three games and went to the Citrus Bowl. Then, they rebounded and behind Tebow and that team with a full year of experience, and despite the loss to Ole Miss (and the letter) won the National Title.

Similarly, I can see JT Barrett garnering Heisman votes this year for a 3-loss team.

Hope I'm wrong and you're right. Maybe we can get Bucks and Vols for the title!

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    That would be something. I am not yet in the mindset that we're going to get past Florida and Georgia in the East - I hope we do, but getting that Eastern title is as far as my imagination can stretch at the moment. Alabama and LSU, and possibly Ole Miss, just look too tough in the West.

I look back to a few years ago, when idiots like Cowherd were trashing the quality of the Big Ten - very possible that it will surpass the SEC as the best conference this season with OSU, Michigan State, Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska, and hopefully Wisconsin projected to do very well. Northwestern always a wild card, and even the low-tier programs like Indiana look to be suddenly making up ground.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Happy Anniversary of this:

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    We're now enemies.

DarthIntegral likes this.