main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    It's either of those, not both.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Entertaining to follow, even with the disappointing result.

3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    50-50 on whether it gets called. Remember the ND-FSU nailbiter a few years ago?

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't remember the specific play, but you're certainly right, it does not get called even 50% of the time, I'd say.

Congrats to RX_Sith for winning the 2016 Bowl Pick 'Em!

Results:
    RX Sith - 27 correct picks out of 41 bowls, 65.8% correct
    Heels - 26/41, 63.4%
    Cubman - 23/41, 56.1%
    Inty - 23/41, 56.1%
    dp - 21/41, 51.2%

PM me your color choices when able, please and thank you.

5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    2014, FSU were defending champs, and both were undefeated. ND ran essentially the same play as Clemson late in the game on 4th and goal and scored, but the TD was called back for OPI. The thing is, ND had run the same play earlier in the game and it wasn't called.

heels1785 likes this.
  6. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Ah, ****. At least the first time Clemson won a national title, I was literally in diapers and had no memory of it. Now, though... I'm going to have to deal with Clemson fans running their mouths all year long, a spike in Clemson flags and decals on the roads, national championship shirts and banners, and they might even fly the Clemson flag above the State House for a few days. FML. :(

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I've been at my desk for 45 minutes, and it's already reaching intolerable levels here, Rew. I feel your pain.

I wonder if rechedelphar is still around - I think that's how you spell his username. He was a big Clemson fan, and a nice one, too. Hope he's enjoying the win.

DarthIntegral and Rew like this.
  8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Congrats to Clemson. Great game. What a comeback.

Not sure we'll ever see a team go 15-0 in the Playoff era. All three years we've had a team enter with the chance to do it, and all three years they've come up short.

Loved seeing Watson go out like that. Fantastic college player. He really represents what you should want in a student athlete, IMO.

Also, xblackout and LloydChristmas - Did you notice that Alabama scored three times early, while Clemson scored only once, but Clemson came back to win the title? Reminded me of an NBA Finals series that had a similar cadence.

9. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Ding dong the witch is dead.

Nanaki likes this.
  10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

I like this a lot. For some reason, I just remember Belichick storming off of the field after their first Super Bowl loss, and considering the way people parallel Saban with him, I think it's important to show the contrast. Saban stood out there for what seemed like an eternity to find and congratulate his colleague, visibly.

11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

You are comparing the magnanimity of Saban to Belichick? lol

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Well, they're both kind of gruff. And geniuses. :p

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Juliet316, Bardan_Jusik and xblackout like this.
  14. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    Saw that on my Timehop today and got all warm & fuzzy inside :)

DarthIntegral likes this.
  15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Illinois State signing an offensive lineman named Kobe Buffalomeat is the greatest story from any national signing day. Ever.

16. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Do you think his father wished him well by saying, "Bison?" :p

cubman987 and Malthael like this.
  17. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    He's not even here yet and he's already a star in Normal. Heck I'm tempted to get his jersey before he's even played a game.

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I refuse to laugh at a domino that will result in Nick Saban hiring Chip Kelly.

dp4m likes this.
  20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Sark isn't a particularly good offensive mind, or head coach - as an offensive "analyst," he was just an extra voice in the room. Losing Cristobal as the o-line coach to Oregon is a much, much greater loss.

Saban will have no trouble finding a replacement. My pick is not Kelly, but Mark Helfrich.

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Urban Meyer to Alabama. And Dabo. Co-Offensive Coordinators. Jim Harbaugh coming to town, too, along with Jimbo Fisher, as co-defensive coordinators.

dp4m and heels1785 like this.
  22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  23. Malthael

Malthael Jedi Master star 1

Sep 27, 2012
    T's and P's for Wild Bill and his family. Here's to a quick recovery and hopefully he'll retire on his terms rather than letting cancer call the shots for him.

K-State was a coaching graveyard for decades (if I'm not mistaken, the brass toyed with axing the football program altogether at one point) but Snyder was a true miracle worker. Getting blue-chip talent to Manhattan is a very tall order, even with the success he's had since the early 90s, but his recipe basically remains the same. Get a bunch of 2/3 star try-hards that really want to be there, and throw in a few ready-to-play JUCO transfers, and the wins will come. The guys knows how to coach, that much is obvious.

24. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
  25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Ole Miss job about to open up. Even if the allegations get no worse than where they stand tonight (they almost certainly will), Hugh Freeze didn't control his program, and he is a goner.

Edit - Les Miles would be my pick to guide them out of the sanctions and rebuild.