main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2024-25 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Ole Miss apparently has self-imposed a one year bowl ban. This to go along with their self-imposed 20+ year SEC Championship Game ban. :p

yankee8255 likes this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    They're going to get smacked with a whole lot more than that one year. Reports are that Robert Nkemdiche's family received over $250K in payouts, as did at least two other players who ultimately did not attend Mississippi.

Also, the NCAA is waving the "Lack of Institutional Control" hammer, which almost always results in the head coach's dismissal. Freeze knows what's coming next.

3. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

I know, but I'll believe it when I see it. *cough, cough* Miami (recently, not the 90's)

heels1785 likes this.
  4. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    After the unintended consequences involving the SWC when SMU got DP'ed, I don't think we'll be seeing that particular sanction any time soon (despite the fact that USC, Miami, and Penn State all deserved it over the course of the last decade).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Show Cause, almost certainly.

6. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    So, there will be a hiring freeze regarding hiring Freeze? :p

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Nah, he's a very good "Xs and Os" coach. He'll be an offensive coordinator somewhere for a year or two, and then get picked up by a mid-major or a big program that's struggling.

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Between 6 PM on Saturday night and 6 PM on Sunday night, Oregon's 2018 recruiting class ranking jumped from 247th to 15th. More commits expected today.

WIllie Taggart making moves!

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Nick Saban has re-upped his contract. Here's his salary, without any bonuses, through 2021 - the contract extension keeps him with Bama through 2024:

2017: $11.15M
    2018: $7.15M
    2019: $7.55M
    2020: $7.55M
    2021: $10.35M

11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    **** Nick Saban.

That is all.

Guidman likes this.
  12. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    You could still make an argument that he's underpaid at $7.5M.

heels1785 likes this.
  13. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Nick Satan...

Enough said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

Best coach in the history of college football, and the kind of money he brings to the program and University - he is very underpaid.

But not as underpaid as his athletes! (anyone who wants to take a swing at that one, be my guest)

cubman987 likes this.
  15. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I'm all for athletes getting paid and believe that it will be the next big thing that shakes up the NCAA. Certain schools obviously cannot afford to pay their players, so it will be the haves versus the have nots. I think that this will result in the Super Conferences taking place with probably around 64 or so schools with 16 teams in each of these Super Conferences; so if it's 4 Super Conferences, that would make it 64 schools or if it's 5, then that would make it 80 schools. Either way is good for me, but I would say that 80 is probably the limit for the number of schools that would have the resources to pay players.

Now, as for how much each person should make, that is a good question. Football will be number one for an athlete because it makes the most money. Basketball second, baseball third, and then the other sports are going to be I believe hit or miss as to whether the athletes could even make money or not. I think that the big three in sports is where most of the money will go with football probably receiving at least 75% of the amount, and then basketball and baseball each receiving around 10%, leaving 5% for the other sports or for the schools to use as they see fit.

I think that this all starts once the current BCS contract ends which is 2025. So, I think that if this is going to even happen, then 2026 is the first year that it could start. The schools probably need to decide at least 5 years ahead of time if they are even thinking of forming these Super Conferences away from the NCAA as it currently exists; so I would expects rumblings to occur around 2020 or so.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Stoops stepping down at OU, Lincoln Riley taking over.

Timing suggests there's more to the story than we know, but regardless, a legend of the profession.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Wonder if all roads lead back to Joe Mixon?

18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    ESPN says it is related to his health, hope he doesn't have anything seriously wrong and is just trying to get out of a stressful position.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think he said it wasn't health - wanted to dispel any rumors. I've heard it's because his son is headed to college, and he wants to be with family.

I imagine this will be an Urban Meyer retirement - he'll do TV for a year or two and get hired for 10 million at Southern Cal or LSU in a few years, when their flimsy head coaching choices fail. Maybe back to Florida.

20. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah just saw that...you may very well be right, wouldn't surprise be at all.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Hugh Freeze is out at Mississippi. No surprise.

Imagine they'll rent a coach like Baylor did last year - another corrupted program that needs to be rebuilt.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Why didn't they do this at the end of last season instead of just a few weeks before the new season starts?

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Some stuff about finding calls to hookers (presumably for recruiting purposes) on his phone, I think. There was an epic **** ton's worth to fire him over the day the season ended. But sex in the south - that'll do you in. Especially in the deep south. Nearly got Rick Pitino, but his record partially saved him.

24. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Houston Nutt, a former Ole Miss head coach, was suing the university for trying to implicate him for their NCAA violations. His lawyers discovered the calls during the discovery process.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

Yep, did in a certain former Atlanta Falcons coach in his college job.