main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Miami and Clemson still play each other, correct?

2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

If we're saying should, then swap Miami and Clemson. Miami may be 3rd, but I think your four are probably right.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Butch Jones is out. Has informed players.

I'd post a dancing gif, but we lost to ****ing Missouri by 30 last night, and I'm bitter.

Edit - Hoke is interim. Only choice we had, as awful as it is.

Luke02 likes this.
  5. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    The way the Badgers defense played yesterday they can beat anyone. The problem is you can't have 4 turnovers against an Alabama, Miami Oklahoma etc

6. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Iron Bowl should be insane now, it's basically a play-in for the SEC title game yeah?

With a top 4 of:

Alabama
    Miami
    Oklahoma
    Clemson

...it's basically everyone controlling their destiny-- with loser of the ACC title potentially getting bumped for the Big Ten champ (no-brainer if it's unbeaten Wisc).

In other words, INTY FIRE UP A BABYSITTER

[​IMG]

DarthIntegral, heels1785 and dp4m like this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Not bad?

DarthIntegral likes this.
  8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Long as you are on in the Top 4 you are good. And I really don’t see how they can keep Wisconsin OUT if they go undefeated.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Seeing as one of Clemson or Miami has to lose again, there is zero chance undefeated Wisconsin gets left out.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Man. That Gameday feature on the Navy OC's young son who needs a heart transplant.

Sloppy tears.

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    The mighty Wofford Terriers had a 3-0 lead on South Carolina at the end of the first quarter. Since have lost it, but that's an accomplishment nonetheless!

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Purdue beating Iowa makes the Ohio State - Iowa game even more of a head scratcher. There might be a fairly clear path to the playoff for Ohio State, but there probably shouldn't be

heels1785 likes this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It also screws WIS somewhat, doesn't it?

14. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Nah. Wisconsin has no worries. They win their next two, they are in. Period.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I am terrified that UT is gonna beat LSU tonight and it will lead to making Brady Hoke permanent.

16. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    For a while, I thought Tennessee was going to have to build an ark and put all animals on there, two by two. :p

heels1785 likes this.
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    UCLA cans Mora

heels1785 likes this.
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    PLAYOFFS?!?!

19. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Reports are Kevin Sumlin is dead man walking this week at A&M. That's a big distraction for the players this week, not sure why the athletic department is handling it this way.

20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Tennessee
    UCLA
    Florida
    Texas A&M

Four pretty good jobs open. You can legitimately have hope to win a National Title at each of them.

Florida being so hot after Chip Kelly might be a good thing for Tennessee. If they pass on Dan Mullen, I think he'd be a fantastic fit at Tennessee. That'd be the perfect combination for one of those second-year triumphs, where a coach who recruited well, but couldn't get you over the top leaves a nice treasure trove of talent to a coach who can coach em up. I think Mullen does fantastic at Florida if he goes there, but I think Tennessee might just be his best bet.

And, call me a contrarian, but I think Kelly to Florida is a bad call. Chip Kelly is on board as hating recruiting. Unless he's going to bring in a top-notch assistant who recruits the hell out of it and has proven he can't be a head coach (hello, Ed Orgeron?) I don't see it working long term at Florida. It will kind of be like RichRod at TTUN, but a little bit better version. RichRod never recruited the caliber of player that goes to that school, and tried to win on schemes and tactics. When, if he'd been able to combine schemes and tactics with those top level recruits? Well, we'll never know. I just see Kelly at Florida ending bad in about 3-4 years, and Florida State and Miami stockpiling recruits in the meantime (Georgia, too).

Nebraska is another high profile job that is going to be open. I know everyone wants to put Scott Frost there, but I don't think Frost wants to go there. Kind of like when everyone put Urban Meyer at Notre Dame because his Utah contract had two out clauses - the Irish and the Buckeyes - and then he ended up at Florida. I think Frost, if he decides to take a bigger job this year, is more likely to go to Texas A&M. I think the best fit to be the head coach at Nebraska is actually Ken Niumatalolo.

21. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I don't see Mullen taking, at best, a lateral move to TN. He's got a pretty sweet gig at Miss State and I think he only leaves if a big name school (bigger than TN) gives him a great offer.

Also disagree with your thoughts about Kelly to Florida :p

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Good points, Inty - only thing I'd say is that Mississippi State is currently a better job than Tennessee. Hopefully won't always be, but right now, if Mullen doesn't go to Florida, he should stay in Starkville.

Sumlin becoming available is potentially exciting for us, though. I'm not sure he'll get any big offers, and he may be the best coach we can land. I wouldn't be against that hire, at all.

These would be my picks for most likely candidates:

UT: Mark Helfrich, Bobby Petrino, Kevin Sumlin, Butch Davis
    Florida: Mullen, Frost, Matt Campbell, Kelly
    TAMU: James Franklin, Mike Norvell, Larry Fedora, Brent Venables
    UCLA: Kelly, PJ Fleck, Sumlin, Jedd Fisch, Tee Martin

edit - minnesota just locked up fleck through 2023 this morning - he's stayin put

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    It's not a lateral move. If he wants to win a division at Mississippi State, he has to beat Alabama and finish ahead of them. if he moves to a team in the SEC East, he doesn't. That simply fact alone makes it a positive move.

24. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Except he has to play Alabama every year at TN as well. And a second time as a "reward" for winning the division (pending how the SECw shakes out). Plus, the pressure at TN to do well against Bama is way higher than at Miss State. If he's trying to get out from Bama's shadow, TN is one of his worst options.

25. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Pregame scuffle in the Egg Bowl. Right now, Ole Miss leads 7-0 and just got an interception.