main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I thought they were going to rush when the refs reviewed and added that freaking block in the back penalty to take away the TD. It was a penalty, and I saw it when it first happened, but you can't review for no other reason than to ADD a penalty!

Glad we bounced back and won :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I could hear the crowd's obviously displeased boos from my gate. I'm glad the PA system explained the situation, somewhat. Otherwise, I would have been in the blind as to that action.

3. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Not a shocker, USC takes the #2 spot. Though the margin between them and Michigan was pretty close.

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    **Raises a beer**

Here's to hoping USC loses to UCLA next week just so they don't end up in the championship game.

**Drinks**

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    dirk koetter is out at ASU. they should hire asu alum and noted winner danny white to replace him, but that makes too much sense.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I had heard this was happening earlier today (but not yet final), and the possibility of Koetter joining the Ravens' coaching staff next year.

I wouldn't object to it, as long as he's reporting to Billick.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    he's a great offensive mind, no question about it. he'd do well as an offensive coordinator.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Tom Dienhart from The Sporting News is now reporting that Michigan State will name Cincinatti head coach Mark Dantonio as their new leader, I would guess after Cincinatti's bowl game (if they're invited to one, I honestly don't know).

Guess no to Mariucci. I hope he gets an NFL job this off-season, perhaps the Giants.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Mike Shula Fired at 'Bama

Hard to say we didn't see this one coming. Thoughts for candidates?

I think Butch Davis would have been a great fit, if he hadn't gone to UNC.

Maybe Schiano? I think this job is much more attractive than Thug U.

I also imagine Dan Hawkins is kicking himself right now. Could have waited a year, had a shot at the BCS, and then gone to 'Bama or Miami, instead of Colorado.

10. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Wow, I sorta knew that was coming, but for some reason, I thought they'd stick with him one more year.

Now Arizona St., Cincinatti, NC State, Miami, and Alabama are now open.

I think Alabama will take a very long time picking a replacement, actually. Shula could very well end up at NC State, that would be a great fit for him.

DI, Schiano told ESPN he's not going anywhere, but you and I both know, we've heard that before--doesn't mean a whole lot. However, I do not believe Spurrier is moving anywhere, especially after a successful end to his season, he sounded genuinely very happy and excited after beating Clemson.

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'd be very, very shocked to see Spurrier go anywhere. He's got a good fit, with (relatively) low expectations. If he were to jump to just about any open job, the expectations would rise.

And while if I were Schiano i would never leave Rutgers (how often do you have a chance to become a god on a campus), I'd probably at least listen to a school like Alabama.

I imagine we'll start hearing some good coordinator names pop up as replacements. I wouldn't be shocked if UC took a long look at Jim Heacock.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Bronco Mendenhall of BYU may also get some looks, I'd think his best chance would be at another Western school, like ASU.

13. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    There's alot of USC hate in here. :(

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

14. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Its easy to hate someone who's been on top for the past several years. If not winning the game, at least in it. Its like the Yankees. Everyone hate the Yankees because they are always good. USC is that in football.

15. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    What the hell is Alabama doing? They had a helluva year last year and granted this was a rebuilding year, but he had them on the right track.

Is that like three coaches in four years or something outrageous like that? Ridiculous. He's been doing fine recruiting wise and I'm pretty disappointed that they let him go so soon. Quality coach that'll be very difficult to replace.

Quick question: How do you as a university president justify firing a head coach based off of on the field performance by kids who were recruited by the last coach?

Only one justified case pops into mind which is Ty Willingham at Notre Dame who looked at recruiting as a chore and it's showed the past few years especially on defense. Couple blokes were actually calling for Weis to be fired after the USC game on espn.com forums. What a knee-jerk reaction based on something the current head coach can't control.

Weis has done great things with Willingham's kids, and Shula was in the process of doing the same despite a down year this year.

This isn't professional sports. CFB takes time for a coach to build or re-build a program, and if you aren't going to give them more than two years you'll be switching coaches every two years and wallowing in mediocrity.

For shame, Alabama, for shame.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Rebuilding years are absolutely not allowed in Alabama, nor is a coach that has lost four straight to Auburn.

The problem I have with it is that Shula has had absolutely no major off-field problems with his team, and he won 10 games last year, and at one point in 2005 was the number 3 team in the nation. Alabama fans hated his conservative style, I think it's more suited for the ACC, and I really do think he'll land at NC State, a great fit IMO.

In defense of his tenure, all 4 of Shula's years were NCAA probation years, so I absolutely think he could have gotten at least one more year under normality.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    You know, the biggest case for firing Shula is right there in the top of your post heels.

He lost four straight to Auburn.

Speaking from (Cooper) experience, you shouldn't tolerate that too long, or else you'll find other reasons to keep him around.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Very well said.

However, in the case of Lloyd Carr, an 11-1 season where the only loss is another one to Ohio State, I'm glad that there are no "Fire Carr!" calls this season, I personally think the guy is a great football coach--at the very least, he's good enough to give another year or two, Michigan is going to be very very good next year, and Ohio State will be losing a lot of their top tier.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Lloyd Carr has one thing Cooper, Shula, and a host of others who couldn't be a rival didn't or don't have: a national title. That should cool your seat down more than any other thing.

20. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Exactly - I just don't want to see them in the title game because they have been for the last couple years, and more than likely will be next year (are they losing anyone big this year?). And, also, after losing Bush, White, and Leinart, wasn't this a "rebuilding" year? ;)

I have so much respect for them, but I like to see a variety of teams on top...not USC and someone else every year. :)

On a side note, they're also the only thing standing inbetween a Michigan & Ohio State rematch - something that I want to see very, very badly. :D

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    True, but into today's college sports world, or sports world period, 1997 may as well be 1977.

Everyone is very impatient, as shown best through the roaring around Bobby Bowden, who has a much lengthier and more impressive record than Carr, and also is a national title holder.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't believe that Bobby Bowden will ever be ousted, unless he goes on the field and punches a student.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    :p

You're probably right, and I believe this is similar to what Paterno went through when everyone was calling for his dismissal. Some coaches have earned their right to go out when they want, such as Lou Holtz, Paterno, Spurrier, and I'd absolutely say now Pete Carroll and Bob Stoops.

However, it doesn't detract from the fact that these rabid fans are jumping all over Bobby Bowden this season, which I'm sure bothers he and his family (see Jeff's resignation), but is nonetheless 100 percent stupid.

Larry Coker also had a national title (more recent than Carr's), but I consider his position to be even more volatile than that of Carr's, as it is often said that coaching Miami is absolutely like coaching a pro team. This was truly Larry Coker's first BAD season, as well, if you look at the Canes' record over the past few years.

It could be argued that expectations are slowly disintegrating college football, and turning the game into an NFL-like atmosphere.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I think Jim Tressel is one win away from "go out on your own terms period" status, too.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'd agree with that.

I'd almost add Rich Rodriguez to that list as well, simply because WVU was such a mediocre program before his era, however, he'll need to have a good season without White and Slaton in 08 to absolutely prove his worth.