main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Colts thread: Here we learn to love the defense

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by NYCitygurl, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Congrats to Manning on being named MVP. Thank you to his offensive line and the rest of the offense for helping to make him look good!

2. Jainasolo101

Jainasolo101 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 23, 2007
    Go Colts!

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    You know, this has actually been a more rewarding season than most others. I mean, I never really got my hopes up too high that we would get too deep into the playoffs, I of course hoped we would at least beat the worst record in the playoffs, but at least this time I wasn't expecting too much. I mean, finishing 12-4 after starting 3-4 still makes me really happy. I think we all knew this wasn't a super bowl team. Anyway, here's to yet another season ending later than 21 other teams', and hopefully they'll make some great moves in the postseason.

And I'm not sure how I feel about either Harrison or Dungy leaving. Maybe it's time. Who knows?

4. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    dungy didn't really sound like he was leaving in the interview they had with him. he's still enjoying himself too much to leave i think.

harrison... he's just not really got it anymore. he's lasted longer than most widerouts though. he could still be dangerous from the slot i think.

and indeed, here's to an absolutely shocking season this year.

:snoopy

5. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    There are many instances where I disagree with Bob Kravitz, from the Indianapolis Star, but he pretty much sums up my sentiments here in this article today:

ARTICLE

"One and done.

Or, should we say, one and Dungy."

[face_laugh]

6. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I just got done watching the game. I could tell early on that this was not going to be a team that went far in the playoffs. There were a lot of calls that didn't go their way, a lot of mess-ups, and for the love of all we need a defense that can stop the run.

I agree with EF though, after starting the year off the way they did, I was not even expecting a playoff spot, so to have finished so strongly and gotten there is an accomplishment.

lol @ One and Dungy

7. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    They don't need to change much on the defense, really. They just need a Warren Sapp at DT. They need someone that big and disruptive in the middle, preferably two somebodies. The secondary is solid(just six touchdowns in the air all season? That's not bad at all), they just don't have anything up front.

8. swcolts157

swcolts157 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2008
    We need a bigger D and a running game that's for sure. I don't want Marvin to leave, but if he has to to clear up cap room, then we should look to pick ip any free agents running backs, such as Darren Sproles, he would be huge. He could start and we'd have Joe and Dominic to back him up.

I agree with a previous poster that we need a Warren Sapp-type tackle, someone who can just power through an o-line.

I knew we couldn't be in the SuperBowl either, most good teams in the playoffs have a running game and we didn't. So I guess lets hope the best for next year.

9. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    the six touchdowns in the air was a record luigi. so yea, i'd say that's pretty damned good.

10. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    It was an understatement, to be sure.

11. Jainasolo101

Jainasolo101 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 23, 2007
    Love you Dungy! Good Luck.

12. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Peyton and the COLTS had a rough start to the season and an early exit in the playoffs, but in between they really put a nice run together and won 12 games (again with 12 wins or more :cool:) and Peyton won the MVP award (his third time winning the MVP award :cool:).

They didn't win the AFC SOUTH, but I like their chances for doing so next year.

Some big changes since the end of their season. More changes to come? Time will tell.

GO COLTS! :cool:

13. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    And so it begins. :(

Peyton Manning isn't happy with Colts management

By Chris Chase

Are the wheels about to come off in Indianapolis? The Colts, models of consistency over the past decade, are going through some off-season turmoil in the wake of Tony Dungy's retirement. And Peyton Manning(notes), for one, isn't happy about it.

Offensive coordinator Tom Moore and offensive line coach Howard Mudd left the team last month in what was described as a decision based on a change to the NFL's pension plan. This sounds like a very reasonable explanation (the two men, aged 70 and 67, respectively, were able to get a lump-sum payout of $1 million as a result). Considering the circumstances, it also sounds like a convenient excuse.

With new coach Jim Caldwell trying to mold the offense into his own image, it's not too much of a stretch to think that Moore and Mudd were either nudged out or left after sensing that Caldwell's new direction might not jibe with their own ideas. This suggestion has been denied, but the mere fact that it had to be denied suggests that others are thinking the same thing too.

There are now questions about whether Moore or Mudd will return in different roles. Colts GM Bill Polian wants them back, but Clyde Christensen and Pete Metzelaars (you may remember him from Super Tecmo Bowl) have already "assumed the duties" of coordinator and line coach even though they apparently haven't been promoted.

Confused? So is Peyton Manning:

"I can't tell you what's going on. I will say I don't think it's been the most properly communicated scenario around here.

It's not a situation that I'm just thrilled about. I think the communication has been pretty poor in my opinion. Somebody says one thing, then somebody else says another thing.

I'm not sure everybody's on the same page in this building. I'm just trying to focus on playing quarterback well."

Wow, Manning doesn't usually like to cast stones at people until after he collapses in the playoffs.

Sounds like all is not well in Colts-land. It's a distressing sign for Indy fans, but news that could bring some hope to the rest of the AFC.

14. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Lisa, I've come to bring you some reassurance. I've been watching the local news the last month. And everything seems to be back in line finally. Everyone seems mostly happy again. And yeah. Soon it will be time for training camp! I can't wait!!!

~PK~

15. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    no howard mudd is gonna hurt... tom moore MIGH be replaceable, but howard mudd not so much.

that said, i am still optomistic.

16. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Yay!!!! That's good news!!! I feel slight relief, cuz I'm kinda a wait til I see it for the good things and completely panic about the bad things. :p

17. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Okay guys, stop with the turnovers please. :p

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    dang it... what happened to gonzalez?

19. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
  20. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'd like to comment that I find it amusing that the Colts go all the way to the Super Bowl and this thread was completely forgotten :p And I have a Colts fan as co-mod!

21. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I think the NFL thread absorbed all the discussion. :p

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Obviously. But this thread has had plenty of Colts discussion before, but this year, when they started 14-0 and made the Super Bowl... just a few posts very early on. :p

23. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I knew there were many Colts fans in the JC but had no idea they had their own thread. I prefer banter in the general threads.

24. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Its been a rough year for me. (non-football-wise)

25. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.