main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Colum, OH The Columbus "shoot-the-stuff" thread!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Mrs_MayimNaar, Apr 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs_MayimNaar

Mrs_MayimNaar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, I know there is an official "spam" thread in JC council, but some things are Columbus related, and more fun to discuss in a Cols. thread! So here is a thread to talk about whatever stuff we want to talk about. If you want to rant about something, feel free. If you want to cheer on our Buckeyes or Blue Jackets, do it here! Whatever's on your mind!

First topic for discussion: Stupid commercials.

I know we all hate Fred Ricart, and that is something that we have to put up with non-stop in Columbus! ("It's Electrifyin!") But what other stupid commercials have you seen?

2. Amidala-Leia

Amidala-Leia Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2002
    The Germain Toyota commercial. Hmm, I see a common link with all car commercials ;)

3. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    Huuuummmm "Shoot-the-stuff" ok. One of my very favorite bands will be playing at (pf all places) "The Big Bear Ballon Fest" June 23rd.
    Blues Traveler. Easly one of the greatest live bands around (winner of 14 grammy's) will play June 23rd at 3:00. Tickets are only $11.00.
    My wife is also a huge fan. We saw them last year at the "Blues & Rib fest" there were 250,000 people. When my wife and I looked around may people were standing with their jaws wide open.
    If anyone wants to go just let me know. You won't be dissapointed :D !

4. lazer310

lazer310 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 23, 2000
    Can anyone explain what Grease, (and a bad version at that(, has to do with selling cars? I mean come on. Really? Can I watch Fred and lYnne dance? Oh my God! I want to buy a new car now!! Yeah right. Anyway, thats my rant.

Chris

5. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    EDIT: Posted the wrong message on the wrong board....my fault for having two windows open at once!

What I meant to say was.... Have you guys seen that new BK commercial with the bad animation chickens marching around bucking? What the heck??

6. lazer310

Apr 23, 2000
    The Bk chickens are pretty bad. But the worst of all is the 30 minute info-mercial with that Don guy selling his making money package. You know the guy I'm talking about. "Out of my ONE bedroom apartment, I made $45 billion!" That guy gets on my nerves.
    I guess I could always just um...... goto sleep...........

Chris

7. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Have you guys seen the one for the new Eclipse model? It plays that song "Days go by and still I think of you..." while the chick dances in the passenger seat all freaky. It's so wierd. All three of the people in that car look like they're on an acid trip.

Or the one where the guy in the wifebeater is walking down the street drinking Pepsi or Coke or something. But his legs are going crazy, "dancing" or something. It's all contorted. And in the background they're playing this raunchy sounding song where the guy keeps going "Si, Senioooooor...Si, seniooooor..." I HATE that commercial!

8. galen-kenobi

galen-kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2002
    You guys watch way too much television. :)

9. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    I know I do. It's usually on in the background whenever I do anything. Makes me not feel so by myself when I'm the only one home! [face_clown]

10. NAVYJEDI

NAVYJEDI Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2002
    I'll move my TLC comments over here:)

I've never heard of the British version of Trading Spaces. But it makes sense since Junkyard Wars started in England and is now an American program.

Spam: I can't stand the Safe Auto commercials.

11. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    What about the Kia commercials? Sooo stupid!

The HS Reunion one: The sign in the background says 'class of 92' but "Buff Johnson" is totally straight out of the mid-80's. Makes no sense.

Trish/Sarah/Jill in the Sportage: If Sarah is dating Trish's ex-boyfriend, the guy has really bad taste, don't you think? I mean look at Trish, then look at Sarah...

12. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    [face_laugh] at Mrs_M. Very funny about the trish/sarah/jill commercial. Not only that, but I thought jill was rather annoying myself.

13. NAVYJEDI

NAVYJEDI Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2002
    Jill is just annoyed herself because she is secretly dating Trish's ex-boyfriend also. How else would she know??:)

I have waaaayyyyy too much time on my hands if I can watch these commercials and then talk about them at work:)

14. DarthFloyd

DarthFloyd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I must agree that SAFE AUTO commercials suck, as well as geico and any other car insurance groups. Rarely does one see one that is TRUELY original(come on, I KNOW you are all sick of that freakin Gecko). Also, I really hate the stupid car commercials with the zoom zoom zoom crap going on in the background...its so stupid: how is the car supposed to go, not at all? and that little kid drives me nutz. i swear, the advertising industry is run by robots with severed neural connectors.

however, I know you all hate the ricart commercials, but at least he tries to be original...its not like my home where the commercials are: "this week, you can get these cars on this special" and the commercial runs for a month and a half.

Oh well, maybe we should all just boycott tv and watch taped reruns of south park and the star wars movies.

15. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Well I, personally, find it a comforting thought to know that I have a buddy in the carpet business...

16. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    At least someone is comforted by having a buddy in the carpet business :p

17. lazer310

Apr 23, 2000
    I don't feel I have a Buddy inthe carpet biz, he annoys me!
    The commercials that really bug me are the ones for these pills that can cure anything. How do these people know what Texas wakes up too every morning?

18. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    They have Jedi powers and can read people's minds :D

19. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    OK, subject change: Why do we watch talk shows? Anyone ever wonder that? I mean it's the same stuff over and over. Topics I have seen over and over:
    • "Man or Woman: We can't tell, can you?"
    • "Maury, I've got a secret to tell my lover/husband/wife/mom/dad/family on national television" (usually either "I've been cheating on you with your brother" or "I am a closet-slut behind your back, and I had sex on your bed while you were out of town" or "I'm gay.")
    • "My mom dresses like a tramp, Maury! Please give her a mom make-over!"
    • "My teenage daughter dresses like a tramp, Maury! Send her to boot camp/prison/the streets to talk to hookers about STDs!"
    • "I was a loser in HS, and now I'm hot. I want to show the person who teased me the most what's what."
    • "I have a secret crush and I want to reveal myself to them on national television"
    • "My baby is 2 and weighs 200 lbs."
    • ...and the show topic most frequently repeated: "Give this deadbeat dad a paternity test!"

Stupid stupid shows, and yet we watch them. Why???

20. DarthFloyd

Jan 29, 2002
    in answer to your question, I don't watch them. I stopped when I realized how freaking stupid they are.

21. Mrs_MayimNaar

Feb 14, 2002
    Well, when you don't have cable, there's not really anything else to watch at 3pm. Unless you like Sabrina the Teenage Witch...

22. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    I don't watch them too much anymore, but when I did watch them more frequently it was because I wanted to feel better about myself ;)

23. DarthFloyd

Jan 29, 2002
    Hey, i like sabrina...so i watch it with the mute on, so what?

24. Amidala-Leia

Mar 5, 2002
    [face_laugh] I like it too, I just don't make it a point to watch it. :D

25. weirdojedi

weirdojedi Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2002
    i think the commercials with the hands flying at your head is right up there with reicart...... jeez out i hate those..... \
    "we work for YYYYYOOOOOOOUUUUUU!!!!!!!!"

AAHHH!!! MOMMY!!!!

-weirdo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.