Games The Comic Book Character Draft ReduX [Ed: That's #10 for those keeping score]

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Mar 3, 2013.

1. MandaloreYak Force Ghost

star 5
    It's more that old scans make some people seem stronger or weaker than they actually are. Thor beat Magneto in the 60s which could be considered a great feat... But Magneto was nowhere near as strong as now. In Mags' 1st appearance Cyclops managed to puncture his shield.

That Strange scan was soooooooo old.

Well, actually Mags has been heavily depowered. But, yeah, old scans can be very deceiving.
    Last edited by MandaloreYak, Jun 28, 2013
  2. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    That goes both ways. Not only are some people not as powerful, but others (such as Dr. Strange) were far more powerful back then. Classic Loki's best feats tend to be more impressive than current Loki.
  3. MandaloreYak Force Ghost

star 5
    I think all the magic people were probably stronger then. Man, Dormammu is crap now it seems.
  4. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    I would agree with that, they seemed to depower them quite a bit.
  5. The_Chim Force Ghost

star 6
    Thanks for making that point for me Yak. I was implying that but you put it much more eloquently than I could.
  6. MandaloreYak Force Ghost

star 5
    Lol yw. I want to know who I'm facing before I take this trip... But I'll probably just send in 2 teams.
  7. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    MSDMSMPMCRAPAFRRC (3) vs The Yak's Inferno (5)
    Mad Men (4) vs There Will Be Order (4)
    Ill Will Hunting (2) vs The Green Marvels (6)
    Blowhard Busters (2) vs Mikaboshi's Heartbreak (6)

Seems as though we've got ourselves a team battle.

MarcusP2
    Darkseid
    Loki
    Sinestro
    Kang
    Apocalypse
    Mongul II
    Abomination
    Black Adam
    Lobo
    Mr. Sinister

Chim
    Onslaught
    Qztr
    The Sentry
    Dr. Fate
    Beta Ray Bill
    Atrocitus
    Vulcan
    Blink
    Nimrod
    Supergirl
  8. Hokage_Kalar Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  9. heels1785 Community & Prequel Trilogy Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Yeah, my initial lean is Chim.

Blink, of course, presents a problem, but the tech of Kang on the other side does too, especially considering he'll be working with Apoc and Mr. Sinister. Interesting, would like to see some arguments, perhaps.
  10. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    I think I would go the other direction. P2's team seems to have better cohesion, at least they are all of the same alignment...evil. Though that could pose problems it also has the best leader to ensure that powerful villains fall in line, Darkseid (the DC villains in particular would fall in line quickly). Sinestro also has a good understanding of how to make villains work together for a common goal, and would make for a really good field commander under Darkseid in my opinion.

Chim's team doesn't have any kind of cohesion at all, really bad cohesion actually. I did the same on my team by mixing heroes and villains, but where as my heroes and villains seem to have some kind of cohesion within those groups this team is just kind of all over the place with no real connections at all. Beyond that Onslaught doesn't like or respect anyone and isn't really much of a leader, Qztr doesn't seem like he would work well here, Nimrod would instantly wan to eliminate the mutants because that is his programming and it has never shown to deviate from that desire (doubt it would follow any kind of plan either and would just instantly go for mutants on the opposing team), Atrocitus is just a toxic addition to team dynamics.

P2 also has far better prep, Chim's team has almost nothing beyond Fate (and I have never seen anything in Fate's bag of tricks that makes him very impressive with prep, he doesn't do much to amplify teammates or such) and possibly Blink with her access to weaponry. The prep that P2's team has is almost specifically geared towards amping it's own team. Loki is one of the best magical ampers in Marvel, and Apoc one of the best tech based ampers. Apoc could give Abomination and Lobo the horseman treatment (seems like Nimrod wouldn't react that well to the TO virus either), Loki could do the same to Black Adam (I could actually see them getting along great). Kang & Darkseid could have a lot of fun playing with evil toys. Not even sure what evil brilliance Sinister would come up with.

Also, Sinestro and Mongul. Not sure about this, but Sinestro could create another ring for Mongul....not sure if he would but he very well could for this fight. It is possible as it is life or death. There is bad blood to be sure, but it is well within his power to do so and I tend to fall along the lines that villains tend to take more extreme measures when it is their life on the line because we have seen them do just that.

Just not very impressed with Chim's backfield, where as P2's seems built for team fights in a big way.
    Last edited by Mikaboshi, Jun 29, 2013
  11. Yodaminch Chosen One

star 6
    I agree that Marcus' team has better cohesion being all evil. That team is also more varied. It heavily benefits from prep and it still has several heavy hitters in Darkseid, Mongul, Apocalypse, Adam, Lobo and Abomination. Chim has Onslaught, but between Sinister, Apocalypse, Kang or Loki, Onslaught can be knocked out with prep. Same with the Sentry. And we've already seen Loki over Fate. The big thing I see from Chim's team is telepathy. But opponents like Sinister, Kang and Apocalypse can definitely prep for the team to resist that.
  12. Mikaboshi Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah there is a lot of TP outright resistance or good defense on P2's team. Apoc is one of the best at creating psychic backlashes against TP users.
  13. Hokage_Kalar Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Yeah, you guys are right... I was drinking while looking at that. I went to bed thinking chim had more cohesion... lol... so far off. Tech and magic go to p2... TP goes to chim by far, but with kang, sin, and apoc, it won't do much. p2 ftw!
  14. MandaloreYak Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm not convinced that whole team can take Onslaught by himself.
  15. heels1785 Community & Prequel Trilogy Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Not only do we have the issue of judging Onslaught prepped, but also Qztr. Again, I don't know how you beat Qztr. Mainly because there are like 3 sentences on the whole internet about him.
  16. Yodaminch Chosen One

star 6
  17. heels1785 Community & Prequel Trilogy Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Haha, probably will do the trick. I hadn't seen those, somehow.
  18. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Here's how I'd argue the fight for each side:

@The_Chim

"I am ONSLAU-- OW OMEGA BEAMS TO THE FACE!!!"

@MarcusP2

"Let's start with my cohesion, which can roughly be summed up by 'In West Philadelpha we were born and raised, on the playground is where we spent most of our days... chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool and shootin' some b-ball outside of the school... when a couple of guys who were up to no good, started making trouble in the neighborhood. That's us, bitch! That's right, we're the no good guys who made Will Smith leave Philly. So, to that end, I say OMEGA BEAMS TO THE FACE!"
  19. heels1785 Community & Prequel Trilogy Manager

Manager
    star 6
  20. MandaloreYak Force Ghost

star 5
    Guess I didn't need to pre-send teams after all. Oh well, numbers still stand.
  21. heels1785 Community & Prequel Trilogy Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Welcome back Yak.

My vote on this match will be up by noon tomorrow EST- if you want your team to win, speak now or forever hold your pieces.
  22. heels1785 Community & Prequel Trilogy Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Alright, as promised, and there were no arguments presented.

Not an easy match to judge. Cohesion clearly to Marcus' squad, and that's rewarded only in these team battles, so it plays a large role. The only potential issue would be head-butting between Loki and Darkseid, but they're cut from the same evil cloth, so I don't hold that against them. However, Onslaught prepped is so difficult to evaluate-who is to say that he doesn't make up for the cohesion gap of the squad and simply control all of them while he fights- there are very few limits that I know of on what Onslaught can do, but I would have to assume that controlling his whole team while trying to do the same to the others would dampen his physical ability against Darkseid, or whomever he draws on the battlefield.

That being said.

Marcus' tech arsenal really is the kicker, and can give the Mad Men a good shot at negating Blink, who is really (next to Onslaught) the most dangerous weapon that Chim has in this fight. Kang+Lobo+Apoc would be incredible enough, but throw in Sinister (and even Sinestro), and 24 hours of prep, and I think everyone on that squad is equipped with defense tech against TP (plus a lot more), enough so to level the playing field, talent-wise. Fate prepped and Loki prepped are so close in terms of magic that I don't see that being too relevant, although if Bill becomes involved in their skirmish, it could be a rough end for Loki. Physically, it's close, but the edge goes to Chim. If Sentry, Nimrod, and Supergirl can figure out how to work together, they're a sizable battering ram against Marcus' brutes, Mongul and Abom.

In my opinion, Chim's squad is a bit more talented- even down to Supergirl (who should be used more), who I think could KO 6 or 7 of Marcus' team members in individual battles. In this case, the more powerful squad is not the one equipped for teams, though- there is one area in which one team clearly outshines the other, and that decides the match for me. My vote goes to the Mad Men.
    Last edited by heels1785, Jun 30, 2013
  23. MandaloreYak Force Ghost

star 5
    Who would you bench for Kara?
  24. heels1785 Community & Prequel Trilogy Manager

Manager
    star 6
    Bill. Also Fate/Blink if not sending them in with prep.
  25. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    Standings:
    Mikaboshi's Heartbreak (5-0)[25]
    Blowhard Busters (4-1)[24]
    Michael Scott's Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race for the Cure (3-2)[22]
    The Green Marvels (3-2)[22]
    The Yak's Inferno (3-2)[21]
    There Will Be Order (1-4)[18]
    Mad Men (1-4)[12]
    Ill Will Hunting (0-5)[13]

Matches

Mikaboshi's Heartbreak vs MSDMSMPMCRAPAFRRC
    Ill Will Hunting vs There Will Be Order
    The Yak's Inferno vs The Green Marvels
    Blowhard Busters vsMad Men

In Fabletown.

Give me your numbers.