main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Comic Book Character Draft ReduX [Ed: That's #10 for those keeping score]

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Mar 3, 2013.

1. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    so i take it you didn't even look at my post then heels?

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I certainly did. Going down the road of pulling twilight zones out of your pocket while unprepped to permanently disable any opponent, no matter how powerful, is setting a bad precedent. While I agree that his achievements are outstanding, as I indicated in breakdowns, I think that this duo has great offense of their own that would not be automatically blunted.

I'm sticking with my call, but you've still got two judges to prove me wrong, that's the beauty of it.

3. Amatsu Mikaboshi

Amatsu Mikaboshi Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    I would personally vote for Kalar's trump as well as Trimaj's character, but that is just me.

Looking forward to some well written and explained judgements. Seriously judges and commissioner, thanks for doing this and putting up with our crap.

4. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I think it would be fun if the judges gave no reason whatsoever.

I think a couple of people's heads would explode.

5. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005

so lemme get this straight. things that he is directly shown not needing prep to do... he can't do without prep? o_O there WAS a reason that hourman was removed from the draft. the fact that he has complete control over time for an hour is exactly that reason. i mean, i really don't see how you're coming to that conclusion. there's stuff he does there that requires absolutely NO preparation time whatsoever. the de-aging thing? what do they even pretend to do about that? and you still haven't precisely indicated what they do to him during that hour, when he can essentially play with them like children. not that he would do that because he's an android, so he'd pretty much just do whatever makes the most sense, end it as quickly as he can, and that's that, move onto the next match. hourman is not stupid. he uses his powers, and he doesn't need to be prepped to do anything i showed other than possibly using steels tech, but both not going to argue that one right now... because one, it doesn't matter, and two i can't find anything specifically about that one way or the other.

this isn't him using some device that he doesn't always have with him that he needs prep to get, this is the very nature of his powers for pete's sake!

i'm sorry, that just strikes me as a bad call and neutering a character that is supposed to be un-neutered for the purposes of this draft.

not going to say anything else, not going to rant and rave, but i STRENUOUSLY disagree with that call. inty wasn't even going to pretend to try and argue if hourman had complete control of his powers, which he does. he thought it was hopeless. even without prep. that should say a little bit about what the character can do at the very least.

anyway, if wang and axle go against hourman simply because he's not prepped...

6. Amatsu Mikaboshi

Mar 7, 2013
    I don't like your post EF. Gives me a headache.

7. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Careful. Your head might explode.

8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Here we go. Trimaj, feel free to disagree. It's not personal. And it's a long draft.

Wonder Woman/Martian Manhunter vs. Dr. Strange

I swear to God I spent way more time on this one than I intended to, as I recall turning off my laptop last night firmly believing it would take a miracle for Strange to lose.

But as we've said in the past, there are just some efforts that go above and beyond, and end up changing things going forward. First round, first matchup, and we have one. It's not so much that I believe J'onn would come in ready to scramble brain right off the bat, or that WW would be all up on Strange within seconds, but the fact that Strange would be playing defense on two fronts against a very cohesive and familiar pair just kept leading me to the trump. The x-factor is Diana, in my opinion, and with Strange in a standoff with J'onn, if only for a short while, would give her time to physically submit him. Sorry Yak, there will be better days.

Maestro/Drax/Firestorm vs. Sentry

Again, long time on this one, and Chim made a great case for the upset. But I'm keeping with the theme and going with the trump. Firestorm is the class of this trump, but Maestro's going to be the worker bee here. The way I see it going, Drax is taken out fairly early, and while Sentry held his own with WWH (who, for the record, I'd put just slightly above Maestro in physicality and slightly below in strategy/intelligence), he didn't handle him while dealing with Ronnie too. In the confinements of this area, I'd honestly expect the fight to be even more physical than the WWH-Sentry battle, but unfortunately for Sentry, Firestorm would come in and mop up.

9. Amatsu Mikaboshi

Mar 7, 2013
    Just curious, is Axle still judging? He hasn't logged in since the 13th, just wondering.

10. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    Yeah I noticed that too. Could be on another bender

11. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    No one else judged, huh?

Come on I want to lose so I can officially declare "oh look, another draft where it takes the whole season to prove I know what I'm talking about."

As if I'd have it any other way (I would).

12. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Alright, here we go. Oh, and just as an aside, I'm liking all this discussion. Reminds me a bit of the good ol' days.

Firelord trumped with Terrax Vs. Hourman

You know, I actually kinda hate that I have to vote for Hourman here. I hate how cheap this dude is, but hey, like Fever said, you guys asked for this. For me (aside from all the other stuff), I can't get past how Hourman once completely and permantly froze a universe's Big Bang. And he did this pretty much casually... and with an incomplete Whirlygog. If he can freeze that much raw energy in time permanently, what exactly can't he freeze? The Bang-in-progress didn't unfreeze when Hourman's "hour of power" ran out. Yeah, you got a couple of guys here that have the power cosmic (and while I did call them occasional jobbers, I hardly consider either of them to be punks) but what is either of their energy when compared to a universe being formed? And both of these guys were, at one point, mortal beings. I don't see how they can't be de-aged to infancy and then taken care of in some way. And yeah, he's done it to beings more powerful than the Mad Hatter. Hourman's definitely not going to kill infants, but he can wait until they fall asleep or some ****. That's gotta be a victory, right? Or they're both just frozen in time for eternity. Whatever. I know he's got the reaction speed to deal with their initial assault, fast as they are. You guys wanted this crap back? Here it is. It's lame as all hell, but this is what Hourman does. Not saying that there aren't a few characters out there that have certain powersets that can deal with this guy in some fashion, but these two aren't among them. I HATE this time-manipulation garbage.

Sorry, Inty. I really am.

Winner: Hourman, the Android

Firestorm trumped with Maestro and Drax Vs. The Sentry

Very tough match here. Flip-flopped on it in my head a few times. To me, the Sentry is pretty clearly the most powerful character in the match, then Firestorm, followed by either Drax or Maestro in some order (I'm assuming this is dumb Drax?). Firestorm does have some options to be able to attempt to keep someone like Sentry immobile while the other two could just beat the guy into dust. But unfortunately for them, Sentry doesn't just have the superspeed that most super-types have. He also has the teleportation, which goes a long way in negating a lot of those options. Maestro, to me, really isn't on the level of WWH. Not quite, anyways. I know that in theory he should be, but the feats just don't back that up, at least insofar as I've been able to find. He sure don't suck, but I can't place him on WWH's level based on the evidence at hand. But yeah, all three coming at him at once? That's a damn tall order for Ryan Reynolds... and yet, I'm just not sure it's TOO tall.

What finally occurred to me is that this trump just really isn't cohesive at all. Aside from the conflicting personalties, nobody really knows anybody. Sure, Drax is familiar with a different version of The Hulk, but... not this one. Thing is, I can see this being a sort of divide-and-conquer situation for Sentry. He very well may be put on his heels by an initial onslaught by this group, but I can certainly see him overcoming it and being able to get his bearings. It's not a Hulk he knows, but it's clearly a Hulk. He'll know that Maestro can be completely left in the dust if need be. Drax and Firestorm can keep up if and when he decides to take the fight out of Maestro's reach, but again, no cohesion and Drax is very easy to out-think and put down for someone of Sentry's power and skill. And then, despite the myriad of things Firestorm can do, I just don't think he can get the job done against Sentry's powerset. And then he can come back and finish off Maestro when he's done. In no way do I think this is easy for him, and he's gonna finish the fight battered beyond belief, but... he's just really damn good and it's not a very well thought out trump.

Winner: The Sentry

Dr. Strange Vs. Wonder Woman trumped with Martian Manhunter

Oy. See, this, on the other hand, is an extremely cohesive trump. They know eachother backwards and forwards, a ton of time spent fighting together, powersets that compliment one another very well... only it's ****ing Stephen Strange. And the thing is, I'm just not sure what to make of what, if anything, Limbo might do for him in this fight. Also, it really is tough to decipher what he should and shouldn't get with prep and without. Either way, he's an absolute beast, but still... I've always been a fan of that mental/physical combo thing when it comes to trumps. I would definitely agree that J'onn is vastly underrated as a psychic threat. Though I think that's a fight Strange would eventually win, do I believe it's something he could while also fighting off Wondy? I... I'm just not sure I can see that happening, especially since durability against magic is definitely what she's known for.

I don't feel great about this one, for sure. Strange is definitely top-tier, but it's just that this particular combo of powersets, with this level of cohesion... I think I just kinda like the trump. I could be absolutely wrong on this one, though. I do know that Strange would stomp if he had prep. Absolutely stomp. Hell, they could be prepped as well and it still wouldn't make a damn bit of difference.

Going with my gut, even though my gut has **** for brains.

Winner: Wonder Woman trumped with Martian Manhunter

Dr. Doom trumped with Nico/Wiccan (prepared) vs Lobo trumped with Loki

Hey, an easy one. The overall power level in this draft may be through the roof, but my boy Doom is still a prep god. Lobo's handled easily enough. Loki's trickier, but def within Doom's capabilities. Even more so given who he's trumped with. The thought of Doom in control of the Staff of One is quite scary. Either he properly instructs Nico in its usage come fight time, or he somehow manipulates her into "letting him borrow it for a while", but yeah, that's a frightening combo. Loki's got way too big an uphill climb against this prep and magic and magic and prep and stuff.

Winner: Dr. Doom trumped with Nico/Wiccan

13. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I'll give Axle until the morning and then I'll vote I guess.

n/m, I see.

So it's just the Hourman/Herald match and the Sentry one then? I guess I'll just vote now. It's been over 48 hours.

I'm going to do a little more digging on The Sentry. I'm mostly curious about his energy/matter manipulation stuff. Once I get that locked down I should be ready.

Speaking of The Sentry, did anyone ever read that theory that he's actually Franklin Richards? I thought that was pretty interesting.

14. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Hourman. What a stupid addition.

Aaaand...man, I've gone back and forth on this one. I think it would be a lot of fun to see. I feel like the trump will be tripping all over themselves trying to deal with Sentry's myriad abilities. Even so, that's a lot of stuff he has to put up with. I dunno, if it's Just Maestro and Drax, the fight's easy. Firestorm wins it for them, I think.

Trump

15. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Michael Scott's Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race for the Cure Vs. Ill Will Hunting(1)
    Hokage_Kalar(1) Vs. There Will Be Order
    The Yak's Inferno Vs. Mikaboshi's Heartbreak(1)
    The Green Marvels(1) Vs Mad Men

Limbo #5

X-man Vs. Cassandra Nova Xavier
    Spawn Vs. Beta Ray Bill
    Juggernaut Vs. Despero
    Nova vs Loki (forfeit)

16. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Uhhh, well, I guess I'll wait a lil while before making it official, just in case ya'll wanna argue like a bunch of fishwives.

17. Hokage_Kalar

Hokage_Kalar Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2009
    These are super easy. Just vote.

18. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    I take that back one is somewhat interesting

19. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Well, Nova vs Loki would have been a fun argument but I'll take that forfeit. Here's hoping mine lands on Darkseid.

20. Amatsu Mikaboshi

Mar 7, 2013
    Word. Really hoping this doesn't got to teams for that very reason.

Boy, this match. I assume that this is full on Juggernaut, not neutered Jobbernaut.

On one hand you have Despero's strength which is enough to defeat several teams of JSA/JLA and takes on Superman, Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel, Manhunter, Power Girl, and Hourman at the same time. Ther was a showing of him going against a wave consisting of Green Lantern Kyle, Original GL, Firestorm, Captain Atom, and Zatanna to attack using their full powers and tanking that with ease until he eventually fell to the stare of Johnny Sorrow.

On the other hand you have a guy who has an impenetrable force field and can't be stopped, and has gone toe to toe with the likes of Hulk and Thor like a bajillion times.

There Despero has telepathy, which won't do anything with Juggs's helmet on. Mental possession, which I assume is also stalemated.

I don't know if we are considering BFR, if so Despero for the win. Otherwise maybe Despero just holds him in place about 5 feet off the ground, thus stalemating and completely taking Juggs out of the game and leaving him no attack options. Or maybe he can just create illusions and let Juggs fight those while he sits back and enjoys a cold beverage, then again maybe that illusion thing is mental and could probably be blocked by the helmet.

Juggernaut is just too limited in my view. If he has an opponent who can't evade or do other things, he wins for sure. But there are ways for Despero to neutralize Juggernaut and take him out of a fight, even if they are a bit cheap. Telekinesis for the win?

21. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    pretty sure you know what CNX can do, and i'm pretty sure me posting anything on her isn't really going to sway vs x-man... so just vote.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah. Incredibly easy here.

X-Man, Spawn, Despero, Nova.

If anyone has questions, ask.

Amatsu Mikaboshi likes this.
  23. Amatsu Mikaboshi

Mar 7, 2013
    That CNX vs X-Man fight is badass. What level of Nate are we using here? Shaman level? Pre-Shaman?

So, CNX can replicate DNA right? What if she replicates X-Man's DNA? Or is that something that takes her a while to do? I am not sure how that works.

Odds are that is going to the astral plane for an all out psychic war. That is actually a really cool fight.

24. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Glad I won, surprised there was a vote for Sentry. And basically everyone agrees if Yak preps strange it's a win... I kinda agree with that personally, and also would hate to see him in teams.

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Absolutely.