main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Comic Book Character Draft ReduX [Ed: That's #10 for those keeping score]

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Mar 3, 2013.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Totally agree, EF. I think that's the way to approach it, if you've got the passion for it. It might be because he's been my friend for a long time, but one of my best memories on here was Yak and the famous Despero draft, where he took a quantity that was assumed to have been known, and essentially built him into his own powerhouse by putting in the work and research.

Also why I liked picks such as Qztr, who is nearly impossible to find good information on, so that puts the onus on the GM.

2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I believe that was Shurron arguing for Cannonball.

I think I managed to jag a win for Aquaman once by revealing the extent of his hitherto-underestimated telepathic powers.

3. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Nah that was me with Cannonball, but I think it was either Shurron or BaSSiL who posted the scan I was referencing about Cannonball beating Gladiator (although much later in a respect thread I found that he didn't really beat him, just put him out for a few panels and when he got up he was just fine).

That sealed the deal I think.

4. Hokage_Kalar

Hokage_Kalar Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2009
    So is the only match were considering horse face v flash. Honestly if it were Thor with Odin force it would be interesting, but peak flash is way to much. Lets keep it moving folks.

On another note, Nate, by comic standards, would probably lose. By logic he owns. Food for thought.

5. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
  6. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Nah... It's arguments. You don't win without arguing. Or drafting people who have previously been heavily argued for. Granted, you have to have a team that actually can be argued for, but there's not a team that's won or even gotten deep into playoffs without substantial time spent on not only showing how good the char is, but also why they would beat the other person.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  7. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i dunna know, yakface. i made it into the runner-up spot in the second one of these with almost no arguements. i would've won too but the guy i was up against had thanos and darkseid and all sorts of other bad dudes since nobody else seemed to be drafting any super villain teams...

8. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i think it's a combination of a lot of things. and it probably at least partially depends on the GM, as it seems that some GMs get more respect because they know what they're doing, so it's kinda assumed that their guys are better since they know what they're doing better. and as a result they don't need to argue as much, but when they do those arguments get a lot more weight as well. i've seen that across drafts though, not just this one.

9. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Ohhh Ohhh Ohhh finally someone admits there is a Durron effect!

10. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    I don't get it. Me and Chim have the opposite effect.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Is that like The Zero Effect?

12. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Well since we are all hear... want to move this party along?

13. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    yeah, okay spawn and horseface

14. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    I know these are different powers, and rarely does the transitive principle work in these drafts, but atom lost to flash who lost to horse face. But honestly I think atom would beat brb.

15. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    dude, this isn't algebra class. and yeah, i'd give atom the win over bill too.

16. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Cool. Ditto. Since I know the last matchup I'll go ahead and start arguing. Genis-Vell, not only is he more powerful than Swamp thing, when he tries to do the whole spirit swapping into another plant, he could contain him in energy and crush him. Quasar has done this before with the quantum bands, containing people and their powers, so I feel confident the Nega bands could do the same.

17. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Agree with Spawn, but make mine Flash. I think Horseface is vulnerable to his particular brand of cheese... and I think Wally is just more powerful. And stuff.

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
  19. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Um, yes? I don't care how many times Zoom punches Spawn, he isn't winning (and btw, you guys can keep going on about it all the live-long day, and then some, but I stand by my Doomsday call). He could punch him ten billion-trillion times in a second, and well, good on him. He still ain't winning. And though Zoom may be a poor matchup for Wally and can beat him, he still isn't capable of... quite a few things Wally is capable of. Things that, IMO, make Wally a better overall pick than Zoom, even if he might lose to him one-on-one.

EDIT: Oh yeah... whoops. X-Man wins as well. Tough one, though. Very tough. I like BA's mental resistance, but not to the degree that I don't think Nate couldn't overpower it eventually. Same basically with Sinestro, but to a lesser extent. Honestly could go either way, but I think Shaman Nate (and I've always thought Shaman was his peak) takes the majority,

Mikaboshi likes this.
  20. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    no, that wasn't at you wang. that was at kalar's comment. sorry, should have quoted it.

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Agree with Wang, going X-Man and Flash. Horsey's one of my favorites, but this one is almost a carbon copy of Zoom/Doomsday for me, he's just not going to get in enough licks before being gradually worn down, these speed guys are annoying like that., As for Black Sinestro, neither half of that trump have a skill set outfitted to defend against X-Man. Sinestro has run up on buzzsaws twice now, must not be living right.

Next up, we have.

Michael Scott's Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race for the Cure (6) Vs. Mad Men (1)
    Ill Will Hunting (2) Vs. Blowhard Busters (5)
    There Will Be Order (4) Vs. The Yak's Inferno (3)
    Mikaboshi's Heartbreak (4) Vs. The Green Marvels (3)

5! Riverdale!

Rpnan vs. Sinestro/Black Adam (forfeit)
    Swamp Thing vs. Genis-Vell
    Blink (prep) vs. Rage Kitteh (forfeit)
    Manhunter/WW (forfeit) vs. Ganthet/Marvel (forfeit)

Not the best, but one matchup, which the ever-patient Kalar has commenced upon.

Looks like we'll avoid teams again, and I'm definitely leaning- judgment probably up tonight to get the next round rolling.

And since I promised it, here are my Power Rankings after 2 rounds, with absolutely zero explanation.

1) Inty's team
    2) Kalar's team
    3) Mikaboshi's team
    4) Chim's team
    5) Minch's team
    6) Yak/Trimaj/Eagle's teams

My pick for the title is still Chim vs. Mikaboshi. Respect Onslaught.

Oh, and Injustice: Gods Among Us is incredible. I would certainly recommend to all, they announced that Lobo will be added to the roster via DLC in the next few weeks. Rumor is Zod is coming too.

22. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I almost bought it yesterday, just didn't feel the urge to spend $60 though. Haven't been into gaming lately, having a hard time finding something I really like.

Might be a good idea to rent Injustice first, the game play looks good but playing for a weekend probably will help me decide.

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Rent is good. Story portion has been described as "grown up JLU" episode quality. I'm just 5 chapters in, and its amazing. Only issue is no Hamill as Joker, and his replacement is rough.

Green Arrow, Nightwing, and Lantern are lots of fun, as are Doomsday and Sinestro. Others I haven't played enough with yet.

24. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Did you get the Red Son expansion characters?

I may have to give this a try next weekend. [face_thinking]

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I think that was a pre-order deal, maybe Gamestop or Best Buy? Might look into Ebay or something for a few of those codes, some of the content looks really good. All I got was the Flash New 52 skin, but it's pretty sweet.

It's very different than MvC2/3, which are really the only fighting games I'm used to. Many say it's very similar in style to the most recent Mortal Kombat, which I did not play.

Let me know what you think about it when you play!