main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Comic Book Character Draft ReduX [Ed: That's #10 for those keeping score]

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Mar 3, 2013.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Blink unprepped? Eesh.

2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Thor Smash.

Hokage_Kalar likes this.
  3. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Why would Onslaught be considered with the extra powers of Richards and Grey? Those were not his powers, thus having them puts Onslaught far above his normal peak.

Does Dr. Doom get the power cosmic which was stolen from Silver Surfer?

Does Thor get the powers of the Rune King?

Does Black Adam get the powers of Isis that he held for a while?

How about Ms. Marvel as Binary?

What about Johnny Storm when he was a herald of Galactus and wielding Sue's powers?

There are dozens of dudes with upgrades like that. The way things have been judged in this draft seems to be very consistent, if a characters peak had to rely upon another persons powers or some kind of external source then don't count on them being allowed. Onslaught has a specific peak, then he has a level beyond that in which he needed the power of Nate and Franklin to achieve.

Anyway. How about that Zoom (P) vs Flash draw. Fun stuff right there.

4. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    that would be zemo

5. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Oh damn, maybe I just wanted to see Zoom vs Flash. :(

6. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Don't feel bad. I read it that way first as well. ;)

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    **** these numbers

heels1785 likes this.
  8. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Uh... There are quite a few loopholes being used this draft and Onslaught was in at least 2nd form more than 1st. And, you know, his 1st form never lost either. This is really very arbitrary.

I don't feel like arguing this match. Matches with Flash I just don't feel like even talking about because he will win when the writer wants and they use his powers correctly and lose when the writer wants and they forget he hits hard and thinks way faster than anything in existence.

I am, however, thinking about going back to Strange if I either A: Somehow make playoffs or B: get eliminated mathematically and it doesn't matter.

Blink's not helpless without prep, even against Thor. I mean I would give the win to Thor but Blink could win, she's another writer's choice char. As are so many that I have tried to cleanse from the list only to see them rise again like a recurring nightmare here...

9. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I am, however, thinking about going back to Strange if I either A: Somehow make playoffs or B: get eliminated mathematically and it doesn't matter.

So...either way then.

10. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Well, if I'm not eliminated by the last match I may not. Iono. I did say I wasn't going to so I'm kind of hesitant to go back on that.

11. Hokage_Kalar

Hokage_Kalar Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2009
    Yea... You still haven't faced genis or spawn and not sure who you have left... But I doubt anyone left is beating Spawn. Who do you have left?

Speaking of left. All left wins. Move it own. Zemo prepped is the only close one and it is Zemo.

12. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Even if I hadn't been simmed and got to prep or make oodles of stupid trumps no one would have given Blink the win over Thor so it's ok.

13. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Could you be anymore negative?

14. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    The Chim is the physical manifestation of the universal concept of pessimism.

Mikaboshi and Hokage_Kalar like this.
  15. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    How is me not arguing for her to win, which no one thinks would happen, pessimistic of negative? I said it was ok. I admitted defeat. Why stif up trouble and complain about me saying it is ok she lost. I was really addressing heels saying she is unprepped. I was simmed that is why. Carry on trolls.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm just not used to seeing her unprepped. Yak is right, she has avenues to win- not discouraging your case if you'd like to make it.

17. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I don't see how it matters how long he was in what form. In order to evolve he took on/stole the power of others, simple as that. Any form past his original first form was relying upon the power of others to achieve, and he wasn't using only his own abilities or power.

Also, what loopholes? The draft is absolute peak, as long as it is an characters own peak that didn't require some outside boost to achieve.

18. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Well, does Swamp Thing have a white ring in this? I thought he did. And I thought there were arguments about like Phalanx or Extremis Ultron... Cable getting powers he's never been judged with. Can't remember others offhand but I recall thinking there were more.

And then inexplicable things like Mongul having no rings even though he's had a ring like forever. And I still think some of these Doomsday scans are when Brainiac was controlling his body, and other weird circumstances such as the Doomslayers.

Btw, is there any point at which trades would be an option still?

19. Hokage_Kalar

May 13, 2009
    Trades... don't talk about Trades!

20. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

And for anyone who hasn't seen it, click.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    he so gangsta

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Who knew Jim Mora could beatbox?

23. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I don't know if Swamp Thing has a ring, but if he is a lantern he is a lantern. How is that a loophole? Does ST even have feats as a lantern? I don't recall anyone showing a single feat of ST using a ring.

What about the Ultron stuff? Phalanx is tech that Ultron has access to, same with extremis. Doom and Reed have access to all kinds of stuff that they have shown to have in the past, why should Ultron not be allowed to use stuff he has had in the past? Not sure that was even used in judgements anyway.

Cable, big deal that he hasn't been judge with something in past drafts. What don't you get about throwing out old conventions, judging everyone at their self sustained peak? What came before doesn't mean a lot really in this draft.

The Doomsday thing is confusing. I am not sure what the judges are considering. The smart version probably isn't the strongest anyway.

Really none of the examples you just mentioned are similar to Onslaught. None of those people are using the powers of 2 additional characters. If ST is using a ring and if he has access to a ring why shouldn't he get it (again not really sure the judges are considering that)? Ultron has access to certain tech so why shouldn't he get to use it? Cable's full power has been shown, he isn't relying on someone else to preform those feats so why shouldn't they be considered if that is his peak?

How is Cable's peak any different than Hulk's peak during WWH? Neither one relied on anyone to achieve that level of power, they did it on their own.

Onslaught is Onslaught, Onslaught after having absorbed Franklin and Nate is far beyond his self sustained norm.

What you are talking about with Onslaught is something completely different. It is equivalent to Dr. Doom with the power cosmic, or Johnny Storm beefed up by Galactus and using Sue's powers, etc...

You aren't really comparing apples to apples here.

24. The_Chim

Jul 16, 2001
    Except that it wasn't an outside force enhancing his powers it was his own. Onslaught is indeed Onslaught and was in that 'far beyond' self sustained norm for far longer than he was said 'self sustained norm'. So yeah self sustained peak sounds exactly like what we are talking about here because by that reasoning Onslaughts peak would be able to absorb the opponents he faces. At the very least one could argue as long as they are under Richards/Grey level it would work.

EDIT: I don't know what case to make for Blink especially in the amount of time I'll have to do it. No like she is a techie and can't show up without any of her goodies if she lacks prep. She is a mutant so her powers don't leave. All she is lacking is information about her opponent and a plan for it. She has lead several teams and revolutions against strong opponents I'm guessing at least once was without a plan because things always go to hell in a handbasket. Like when she killed King Hyperion, who in that universe killed Thor and about everyone else (said in an on screen panel, interesting tidbit) by blinking a dune of sand into his body. Not sure what this location offers for her for that option here but with the KH fight alone it shows her ability to improvise being the last one standing.

She has great speed and battle prowess, gets right up in the nitty gritty to use her opponents abilities against them selves. She can blink very precise things as well, like guns from peoples hands, or a single person from within a group.

Unfortunately a lot of her respect thread is down with dead links, but some still work in there. If we haven't been hustled on to a new match or anyone cares, I may be able to come home after work tonight and post more but I don't see her overcoming man love for Thor, prepped or not.

25. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    So absorbing Nate and Franklin didn't give him a significant boost? In we have never considered him with the powers of Nate or Franklin, because those are separate characters and not Onslaught. He clearly gained powers after having absorbed them into his being.

Even in the very first draft BaSSiL drafted Onslaught and Franklin Richards so he could argue during teams that he would get the evolved form of Onslaught.

Now if you want to argue that absorbing the power and essence of others is something he can do in battle, go for it. It is something he can do, and it is listed under his itemized list of abilities.

"Mutant Absorption: As a psychic entity, Onslaught had the ability to absorb any mutant into his being and thus permanently gain their powers for himself. X-Man and Franklin Richards were two mutants that he consumed to further his vast power."

Why you haven't argued that angle before is beyond me, because I would go for it if I was judging.

Then again, neither Ion or Quasar are mutants...and since Onslaught has only been shown absorbing mutants maybe it won't work on non-mutants.

Maybe you should actually try and argue for a character prior to a match and see how that works for you.