main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Comic Book Character Draft ReduX [Ed: That's #10 for those keeping score]

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Mar 3, 2013.

1. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    The idea that Onslaught could even do that is ridiculous, but so is him sealing Juggernaut INSIDE the crimson gem. I still haven't figured that one out. And the merging thing he basically had to kidnap them for that. It wasn't like a beam.

I don't... Well, unless I missed something Ultron doesn't have "access" to the Phalanx. I don't know much about the Extremis thing but it seems like something would've had to take control of from Iron Man? Since I read the graph-novel of the Phalanx thing, I am pretty sure the Phalanx isn't tech he has access to. He just merged with the Phalanx, which is a sentient being, for 1 story arc, and at the end he was defeated. Which was PIS bc he shouldn't have lost. All his beams suddenly became HORRIBLY inaccurate in the final fight, it was so stupid.

Plus, um, these two statements...

So absorbing Nate and Franklin didn't give him a significant boost? In we have never considered him with the powers of Nate or Franklin, because those are separate characters and not Onslaught. He clearly gained powers after having absorbed them into his being.

Even in the very first draft BaSSiL drafted Onslaught and Franklin Richards so he could argue during teams that he would get the evolved form of Onslaught.

and...

Cable, big deal that he hasn't been judge with something in past drafts. What don't you get about throwing out old conventions, judging everyone at their self sustained peak? What came before doesn't mean a lot really in this draft.

The Onslaught thing is "throwing out old conventions" as much as Cable getting that, considering that Soldier X level was extremely short and his powers were burning out. That is not "sustained" and as someone said, even pairing him with Dom strongly implied you were getting, well, Cable. And Swamp Thing has always been Swamp Thing, how the heck does he get a ring and Mongul and Cy-Supes don't? I'm pretty sure John Stewart has had power-ups for longer but I didn't bother to go check because, well, I didn't see a notice that said "short-term items and merges and temporary boosts now sold here" at the front of the draft.

Man, this is longer than my arguments for my own characters.

heels1785 and whiteeagle like this.
  2. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Ultron was the central hive mind for the Phalanx, you don't think he would know in that time how to replicate tech that they used? He was the man behind the Phalanx for long enough to know how their stuff works. Under his supervision they created the babel spires, and began the plot to spread the virus across Kree space.

In regards to Extremis, he took over Iron Man's armor in his last appearance prior to Age of Ultron and molded it to the female version of himself. He then proceeded to whoop Sentry twice, and then said he wasn't yet prepared to complete his plans and disappeared...still in control of the Extremis armor. He never lost in that form.

Again, with Onslaught. We have consistently considered only using unboosted peaks, peaks that were achieved by their own ability and power. How is Onslaught significantly powered up by Nate and Franklin falling into that category?

I don't really care, as long as the judges are consistent. I am not even sure why they aren't the ones discussing this, they haven't said much more than a few peeps to explain what they see as reasonable or usable in this draft. It would be nice if they did actually. Wang Chi heels1785 Axle-Starweilder , do you guys want to throw in on this conversation and explain what you are considering peaks?

The commissioner said this was up to you guys from the very start, it would help GM's a lot of we understood where you each stood on things like this.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm the weird one of the group, I think.

I took Franklin/Nate into account for Onslaught, and also Soldier X for Cable. My definition of "sustained" may not be the same as others. There's a joke there, but I'll refrain.

4. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Lol I think there should be like... A consensus... How do we have this draft so many times and get seemingly nowhere?

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Welcome to the internet. Your logic don't live round these parts.

6. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i feel the way i've always felt

7. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
  8. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    do you guys want to throw in on this conversation and explain what you are considering peaks?

Do I want to get in the middle of this seemingly never-ending, long-winded back and forth on character peaks? Ummmmm... not really. Personally, I can think of about 1,283,762.2 things I'd rather do with my time. Not saying I'm not enjoying the actual game (because I am), but this? This crap just makes my brain sad.

It varies from character to character. There isn't any one thing I can point to and say "There. That's where the line is drawn and this applies to each and every character."

That's, uh, about all I have to offer.

Axle-Starweilder likes this.
  9. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    and i wouldn't give swampthing a ring, either. even for the three or so issues where he actually had one he never really used it to do anything. hell, neither did deadman. it basically just bossed him around all the time and confused the beejesus out of him.

10. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Yeah, now thinking about it I don't care who wins between Blink and Thor. Yet another plot device, although at least Marvel's plot devices tend to have decent storylines till like 5 yrs ago when they decided to put actual effort into sucking.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

"This'll just be a minute steak..."

12. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    that's funny, i've never seen garbage eat garbage before

13. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Of course, I do actually care. So...

At the end of the day, Blink's abilities are teleportation based. There is nothing from what I've seen about enhanced strength or durability. She's not aware she's fighting the god of thunder. She's also likely not aware that he can teleport as well. He's done so with Mjolnir. Not saying he would, just that he can.

The biggest argument you can make is her blinking items into Thor right? Here's a scan of Thor surviving being phased by Shadowcat:

[​IMG]

Let's assume that Blink gets Mjolnir away from Thor. She can't do anything with it. Since only those worthy can lift it and there's been no indication she fits that description. And so if she attempts to use it, then it likely soars right back into Thor's hands and she's lost her advantage.

And he's certainly still durable enough to take her down without it. And he's also not exactly powerless without it. His body has been shown to generate electricity without the hammer: See section 4 here: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f98/t522796.html

[​IMG]

Additionally, assuming she does blink the hammer away, she needs to do so faster than Thor can react, and there is more than enough evidence in the respect thread on Thor's ability to move faster than the speed of light. So if she's not quick enough, he could just summon it right back: http://s388.photobucket.com/user/On.../ThorMjolnir161-AtmosphereAvengersAn.jpg.html

At any rate, Thor's not going down easily and really he just has to last longer than Blink and be able to take her down. He's more than capable of doing that, even if she were prepared for him.

14. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    thanos
    zemo
    thor
    cyborg

15. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    At any rate, Thor's not going down easily and really he just has to last longer than Blink and be able to take her down. He's more than capable of doing that, even if she were prepared for him.

Whoa now. 12 Living Tribunals can't take down a prepared Blink.

You need Squirrel Girl.

16. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    was she on that list!?!? she could take thanos!!!

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    She's far too powerful for this draft.

18. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Agree with maxle.

19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Michael Scott's Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race for the Cure (2) Vs. Blowhard Busters(4)
    Ill Will Hunting(3) Vs. The Yak's Inferno (3)
    There Will Be Order(2) Vs. The Green Marvels(4)
    Mikaboshi's Heartbreak(2) Vs. Mad Men(3)

Barrelhaven, #3

Exodus (prepared) Vs. Spawn
    CNX Vs. John Stewart/Alan Scott
    QZTR Vs. Ganthet *forfeit*
    Captain Atom Vs. Loki *forfeit*

20. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I'm just, yeah I'm not addressing this blatant idiocracy.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    CNX vs the lanterns is interesting.

For the rest, you know what to do. I think Exodus has prepared himself for the worst luck in the draft.

22. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    There isn't much to do, only one match there that needs to be discussed. My vote would be for the lanterns though.

23. Hokage_Kalar

Hokage_Kalar Jedi Master star 4

May 13, 2009
    Yea. Try using TP on spawn. Good luck with that. That feedback would be worse than annihilus. And tk only won't do it. Spawn all the way.

I'm going two lanterns over CNX personally.

And one more thing about cable, his powers burning out are no different than Nate Grey's powers burning out. He wanted to do something great, but if he didn't... I don't know... Levitate a whole city and use his powers as a police/surveillance/security force while fighting people while repairing the city he wouldn't have been close to burning out. This whole burn out only came from extreme use which also happened to Nate grey. He only wanted to change the world which is why this was even close to this happening. He knew his powers were so great, he could do something useful with them, but if he went the way of normal super hero he would have had powers for... Well as long as Nate grey.

Dot talk about burn out... Really Burn Out! If that's the case x-man should have no powers or just the echo of them. But oh wait... This is a peak draft, so we're talking peak powers!

24. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Whatevs. Levitating that city was nothing, his powers were burning out from the start. Which really has no explanation. And Nate Gray's powers never burned out in his 1st run despite him doing well, well more than Cable ever did with them. I probably read more X-Man than any other title back then. So, no, Cable would not have had his powers for that long.

Anyways, EF I did not go through the trouble of naming my trumps so you could ignore them!

CNX Vs. DC Green

whiteeagle likes this.
  25. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Mikaboshi's Heartbreak(2) Vs. Mad Men(3)

Match missing here. Should have 6 done, not 5