main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Comic Book Draft Episode IV: A New Mutant (Congratulations BartSimpson-SithLord)

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by DarthIntegral, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    I would agree with Inty on the demotions. She-Hulk, Champ and Xavier. Give Wheels some prep and let's see how he does, I say.

And I'd agree with two of his three promotions. Kyle and Angela. Iceman I see as a very upper-crust regular-lister, but regular list nonetheless.

But who should be third promotion, then? Well, maybe it's time we put The Sentry back on the list. He still somewhat mysterious, but less so than he was before. And he's been proven to be at least somewhat beatable by certain characters out there, like Genis Vell (who's prolly too much for the list, but whatever). And the main reason we removed him from the list in the first place, which was him supposedly stalemating Galactus, is not something we haven't seen topped by others on the list. Specifically Thor. Thor, in one of his most uber feats, pretty much defeated Galactus, but no one's calling for his head to be put on the chopping block. Just something to consider.

Jakeem should go, and Marvel Boy should be defined. I don't care what incarnation (though Noh-Varr makes the most sense, I think), but he just needs to be defined.

And when faced with removing Annihilus from the list entirely or using his pre-Annihiltion self, I go with the latter.

Oh, and Pitt would be cool.

2. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I agree with adding The Sentry. Powerwise, he'd definitely be one of, if not the, most powerful pick in the draft. However, he's also not one that really works well in a team setting. Sure he is on the New Avengers, but as a team member they really just seem to use him to fly things into the sun or whatnot. And he's pro-reg, I believe, yet one does not see him doing much in Civil War simply because of his instabilities making him a little difficult to have on the team. I see his mental issues as enough of a drawback to drafting the character and in team battles that we can allow him back into the draft.

~*!~-~SHUT YOUR EVIL, EVIL PIE-HOLE~-~!*~

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Pitt is insanely cool, but lacks any comparable enemies. Unless you were to count the Hulk crossover, which I haven't seen, but that's not a whole lot to go on.

EDIT: What about Quasar? Is he really so awesomely powerful to not be on the list? I mean we're talking about Sentry...

4. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    ...What about vermin?

5. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Can Quasar actually be beat by anyone who can't drain cosmic power?

6. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Wonder Woman. ;) :p

You know, I dunno. He might not be totally unbeatable. Just like any most of the other top-tier guys, I'm sure he's had some defeats to go along with the all amazing victories and crazy feats... probably. And they can't all be because of draining the bands... can they? I'm not really sure. I'm not exactly a scholar on the guy. All I know is what I've read in the bios, the respect thread, and maybe half a dozen comics I've read featuring the guy.

7. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
  8. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Not me. Looks interesting, though.

And why do I get a special mention? You know, if people are going to continue on thinking of me as some sort of knowledge god for all things comics, I need to find a way to milk some money out of it before I'm exposed. Any suggestions?

9. Darthsuperbatpooh

Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2002
    i guess nobody cares about me :(

oh well back...i think

10. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    Who're you again?

11. Darthsuperbatpooh

Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2002
  12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I do. I remember the movie. Never really liked that team.

13. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    Well now that you mention it it probably would be better if we use the classic huh? But the current one is just soooo cool. :p

14. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    I'm very worried about using people like Quasar who people think has been defeated and it can't all be because of draining the bands. Any judgment on a character like that would reach insane levels of arbitrariness. I can recall him being defeated once, arms were cut off. But I have no idea how he was gotten to in order to do that. I don't think anyone who we don't know who they can lose should be in the draft. I also favor keeping Xavier on the PL.

Edit: For me, same thing about Quasar goes for The Sentry.

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I'd like to say I don't want Sentry on the list. At all.

16. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    *shrug*

I don't really see any reason to be so jittery over The Sentry anymore. "Limitless power" is a term used rather loosely with lots of top-tier characters. The Surfer is sometimes said to have it, but if that was really anything more than the usual exaggeration you often see in various bios, he wouldn't get smacked around by guys like Thanos. It's been proven that he's not invincible, and personally, I very much doubt I'd put him over the Surfer and a select few others, even if they would be extremely close matches.

But whatever's whatever.

17. -Ace-

-Ace- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    I think the Sentry has not been around long enough to get a good fix on the range of his powers.

I favor putting Xavier on the RL, if any of his opponents have mental resistance, superspeed, or prep the professor will usually lose. He just doesn't seem like a valuable PL pick.

18. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Everyone with prep shouldn't automatically gain mental resistance. Not many people should, really. And by that standard The Flash should be off the PL. He sees "prepared" and he just forfeits the match now. I could trump, prepare the forfeit and get a win over Flash if he landed on it

19. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I really want to know what version of blink we are using and what list she'll be on.

If we use the current incarnation on the current list, very few people seem to be able to beat her. Of the ones that could I'm thinking prepared doom or reed, surfer, phoenix,superman/black adam/marvel and possibly juggernaut or someone like him.

20. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    You know, if people aren't down with the Sentry, I've got another idea. (This is of course assuming that the suggestion of demoting Champ, Xavier and Shulkie, and promoting Kyle, Angela and needing one more replacment is what we're going to go with.)

It would take away a valuable prep-type character from the regular list, but what about taking standard Cable and bumping him up to Jesus Cable status? Just throwing it out there. I can see upsides and downsides to doing that.

21. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    There are plenty of people that can beat her.

Bumping Rayner brings him from upper tier regular pick to lower tier Power Lister. I don't want to have to waste a PL pick on him. :(

22. Shadow_of_Durron

May 2, 2003
    We could always make him Ion. Not the first go-around uber omnipotent style Ion, but the newer, clearly less powerful than the original incarnation, but clearly more powerful than regular ol' Kyle style Ion.

Yes? No? "Shove it up your ***, Shurron!"?

23. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Ion is starry in his black costume parts.

:D

~*!~-~SHUT YOUR EVIL, EVIL PIE-HOLE~-~!*~

24. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I dig Ion and his fancy new threads.

25. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't think we're at a point where we need to have the same number of promotions as demotions from the power list. It's not like the Video Game draft, where we had three extra picks. There were about a dozen left over, I think.

As to Flash ... yes, he loses to prepped opponents a lot ... but that's because people use their prep intelligently. yes he's going to lose to Prepared Doom, or Blink, or Luthor, or Richards, or Cable, or Batman. But I've never seen anything like the following:

Flash vs. Corky (from "Life Goes On")

ZOMG!

Winner: teh Corky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.