main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Comic Book Draft Episode VI: Return of the Multiverse

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by BartSimpson-SithLord, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Personally I think limiting them is a waste of time and too hard to judge. Perhaps add more of the powered and limit them to 1 or 2 pick only. Why 2? Because a veteran GM knows who to pick for their power picks and can get the jump on those new to the game. With 3 really good picks, they only need 1 good regular pick and they are pretty much guaranteed teams.

Every draft someone gets more powerful. Trying to limit or get rid of them doesn't work because someone else comes along and gets more powerful. Xavier's stock rose because of his now as of yet undefined limit. Hourman's rose as well. In previous games it was Blink, X-Man and Strange. All it takes is a bit of research and these characters all seem a bit all powerful.

2. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    I don't really think limiting them would be too hard...
    Just, no time-travel, and for heaven's sake nothing "infinite"

So... According to that you could still de-age people or whatever, but Hourman or Extant couldn't summon any of themselves from the timestream, since they could summon an infinite number.

We never judged Surfer or Thor or even Zemo when I had him using time-travel, so it doesn't really change how they're judged.

And PL exactly what you said. People get more powerful, people get better researched... There's no reason to have a list of people that are thought to be so powerful when there are people just as good as alot of them on the RL. After obvious people like X-Man, Surfer and whatnot, it's guesswork anyway. I mean, how big is the difference between Hulk and Hercules? Barely, if any at all. One could go on forever with these examples. And I will never believe the PL doesn't in some way influence how judges judge. I know I think about it, and I look at some of the judgments and I'm pretty sure it enters, one way or the other.

Let's just get rid of it.

3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The reason it is a good idea to have a pl list is in the case of those "uber powerful" ones, the newcomers to this draft can at least have an idea of who is really good. Yes they still might get snubbed by veterans in the regular list, but if you remove the pl list, it leaves a possibility for someone who has played for a long time, like durron, to build an all PL list pick. In which case, if someone did manage it, they'd dominate the draft. Where as placing another limit on the power list to 2 only will even up the odds a little bit more for a newcomer or even just a slow reacting veteran player.

4. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Well I mean, if the goal is parity, sure. I think the people with the most knowledge should win. And if they have more knowledge by that much, they should win everything, all the time.

The Yak has no sympathy for newbies. I think a newbie just won this draft. Why? He did his research.

Or just read mine...

5. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    So Zizz won this beast aye? Congrats! =D=

I really wish I hadn't lost my web connection during this draft, that was unfortunate. Hopefully I will be getting it again soon, though I have said that before and it just doesn't seem to be happening in a timely fashion.

Again, congrats to Zizz on taking the crown. Later everyone. :) [face_peace]

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I go back and forth on the PL. I see both sides of the argument, and fully get having it and ditching it. I'm good either way.

I'll try to get up a good post here soon about the possibility of the All-Star Edition of the Comic Book Draft. Just need to make sure I have my thoughts in order.

7. Darthsuperbatpooh

Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2002
    congrats Zizz

8. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Just so everybody knows, this thread will be open until the next ComBo draft begins. :D

It can be used for support, discussion, anticipation, laughing; whatever.

9. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Supports.

Anticipates.

Laughs.

Whatever. :p

PS: I love you Tyi! :D

10. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I thought you quit the internet Despised? Where have you been, are you back now?

11. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I could never quit the interweb, the only reason I have not been around is because I was laid off from my job (and thus canceled my internet service) and I have not found a new one yet.

I will be back again, I just don't know when.

So how are things going around here?

12. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Sorry to hear that man, I really am. Well good luck in the search, my family went through a couple pretty severe lay-offs, it was rough.

Anyway, moving onto a better subject....A huge storm just rolled into town, other than that, I got nothin' for the most part.

13. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Thanks Chim, and I am glad to hear your family pulled through it. I am hoping for the same here, and I have about 3 more months before my unemployment checks stop so I have a lot of time to find a job yet.

~passes Chim an umbrella~

:p

Well, I gotta run. It was nice chatting, with any luck I will be back soon.

Take care. [face_peace]

14. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Aw, for crying out loud, who let Zizz win this thing?

15. TheManinBlack

TheManinBlack Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2007
    Will Green Scar Hulk be draftable nextDraft

16. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    In the past we have allowed the person who picks the Hulk to specify which incarnation they want, and IMHO if I was commish or a judge I would vote to allow the Green Scar version.

We should allow the new Quasar as well, she is powerful but her lack of experience and knowledge of the bands holds her back a lot.

17. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    You just want to trump Phyla and Moondragon. :p

18. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I do indeed. :D

19. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    ::Shivers @ any form of Quasar::

20. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    With some of the people that were in this draft, why the heck not?

21. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Maybe we should... Take out some of the people that were in this draft... Takion... Onslaught...
    And Ion, honestly, is so much more undefined than even a normal GL.
    Although, we could prolly keep Strange if we like, agree to use a certain level of power. If we really wanted to. I don't think he's been written at dimension-destroying power since like, the Crisis. Yes, the DC Crisis.

Actually, yeah he has, but he's so hesitant to use it we could say he... Wouldn't?

If we really want to keep him. I just want to cause he's, you know, pretty high-profile. But definitely get rid of Mordo, we can't define his powers at all

22. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    2099 totally ruled.

23. MandaloreYak

Sep 29, 2004
    Okay, after thinking about it I think we should take out some people. Dr. Strange, I think, is a staple of comics to be taken out only if completely necessary, and he has a pretty established "average" power level that I think we can work with for this draft, taking out his way uber universe-ending feats and putting him on a level that can be worked with. We just have to agree to ignore feats that make him uber, kind of like we already do with some of Surfer's more uber stuff (though it's not THAT uber), and Thor's.

That said, who should we take out?
    Onslaught- WAYYYY too powerful. Especially given that Thor's godforce>Galactus, but Thor's godforce<Juggernaut.
    1 punch from Onslaught>>>>>>>>>Juggernaut. So, theoretically Onslaught at least>>Galactus. And no one even beat him, it was one of the worst endings ever.

Despero-Probably could stay, but do we actually know what it takes to beat him physically or mentally? Well, besides bad writing in Batman/Superman adventures or whatever. Nah, not really. He's all theoretical. I don't think we should really put people in who we don't know what it takes to beat. Which brings me to my next person to take out.

Temugin-Yeah, I'm sure he's not too powerful to be in, but we again haven't seen him beaten. We don't really know with any accuracy where his defensive power is, and it's not like there aren't people in comics to replace him with.

Takion- Just... No. He doesn't even have any gaugable average like Strange. Getim off.

All time travelers- That's one option, to eliminate time-travelers. But when you really LOOK at who the list of time-travelers are it includes people like Surfer, Thor, etc. who can do it but it's not really part of their fighting style. It would be pretty easy to just eliminate time travel and time manipulation from it, which would still leave aging blasts and whatnot but no summoning anything from the timestream or going back or forward and looking at the battle. Basically would cut down on the power of people like Extant and Hourman but allow them to still be in the draft. They're the main two, and they're both good even limited to the present.

Those are all I can think of for now.

24. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Okay, as it is now the month that this draft will start up again (it gets going on the 22nd or earlier), we need to get this discussion back on track.

The main question I still have is Inty's All-Star Edition. Inty, are you still planning that? If so, do you want to make it this coming edition of the draft or do you want to go ahead and wait until the next time our draft comes in order?

25. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    So, theoretically Onslaught at least>>Galactus.

[face_laugh] I think you may have topped yourself with that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.