main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Comic Book Draft: Ten Year Stanniversary

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Here's the thing about John Stewart. He's a military man. He's an expert sniper and he's had to make the hard calls (killing entire planets, blowing up Mogo). I think Guy is very skilled as well and I do think he's very good with the red ring, but I think John is more disciplined and more willing to make a hard call much faster whereas Guy will naturally be guided by emotion. But in the end, I think John's Will will be stronger than Guy's rage.

John Stewart

Also, since it won't matter, I'm voting Magneto. :p

Agreed on the other two.

2. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I don't see Stewart taking down a Corps leader on his own, no matter his feats, but whatever.

3. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    He'd take down Sinestro, go 50/50 vs Hal I'd say, would beat Carol as well. I dunno much about the other Corps leaders. Atrocitus did seem to be the strongest outside of Larfleeze. Gardner beating him seems ridiculous, I'd like to read that issue.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    It's a holiday.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I love you. Ur breakin' mah <3.

7. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    How was everyone's weekend? Good.

@KtaSizzleMan vs dp4m's Heel Kickers (5)
    Jeepers Deepers (4) vs SOMEONE'S GETTING SQUIRRELED (1)
    All Star Team Up (3) vs The Yak's Inferno (2)
    Machiavelli and His Pawns (3) vs @wolverine's dead (2)

The Tick *I forgot his home field vs Eradicator (New Earth) + Professor Charles Xavier (Earth-616)
    Captain Atom (DCNU) fortress of sorlitord vs Martian Manhunter (J'onn J'onzz; DC New Earth)
    Nova (Home field: Nova Headquarters) vs X-Man
    Thragg (Image) / Korugar City (DC, New Earth) vs Victor Von Doom *prepared*

Boy, that is some pull for Thragg...

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    lol. one of the fights X could take on his own.

[​IMG]

Yodaminch likes this.
  9. wolverine's dead

wolverine's dead Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2015
    So doom finds out about Scourge Virus, Plant Caxus and makes replicas of the two things and kills thragg with them....if not, he uses his knowledge to defeat thragg with magic or something else
    Doom has taken down cosmic beings before (i.e. Galactus (sercet wars) and silver surfer(fantastic 4 movie) and other teams of heros and such....thragg would be no different

10. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    [​IMG]

Okay, this is a tough draw. But not because Doom should win this fight. It's tough because Doom prepared is treated much like Batman and Iron Man and Strange prepared. For some reason, people think they can just DO things with 24 hours of prep. Well, you know what he can't do? Synthesize things from the Image verse that need more time than that. Also, where is he going to get Thaedus' cells, otherwise known as they only remaining source of the Scourge Virus?

Sure he has magic, and shields,and tech, and blah blah blah. But I don't see anything Doom does stopping a being that is more likely to punch a hole through his chest at faster than light speeds than sit and proselytize a change in character. This isn't a hero, it's a ruthless, lightspeed moving, planet busting, psychopathic dictator with the tactical mind of Sun Tzu and the quick thinking of a speedster. The man fights people who move faster than light WHILE IN COMBAT.

There might be a trap or something, but unless it can withstand the force of something that can burst through planets, then it ain't holding him for long. This is a good fight, but the onus is on the prep to show and tell just what Doom is going to do with that 24 hours. Then I can respond to it. But it won't be Plant Caxus or the Scourge Virus. I can tell you that.

11. wolverine's dead

Apr 20, 2015
    he beat Galactus with 24 hours prep and his armor is stronger than kang's (which can withstand a point-blank thor hammer to the face and still fight like nothing happened) and he is arguably the smartest guy in the marvel universe and he has an entire country's resources he could use (which is more resources than lex or stark) and the intelect of reed richards and the same ruthlessness that Scourge has with all the added knowledge and magic and other stuff that prep gives Doom...Scourge is powerful (maybe more powerful than superman) but all of Doom's stuff is just a little better

12. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    He beat Galactus by siphoning the very power cosmic that fuels and creates him. Sure, it's a wonderful feat for tech against energy beings. But Thragg has no "power cosmic" that powers or sustains him. Doom can't just power himself while making Thragg weaker. Thragg doesn't work that way.

13. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Remember that thing about a certain frequency at a certain resonance being deadly to a certain species?

14. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    I also remember that only a certain genius who studied one of his best friends for years being able to discover that frequency. I doubt there is going to be a Viltrumite anatomy textbook in the prep box.

15. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Well, there's got to be something in there.

16. BartSimpson-SithLord

Jan 24, 2002
    Yeah, but we've usually kept it to established facts that are well known. The basic rundown of an enemy. Robot has kept that weakness close to the chest so that he has power over the Viltrumites. Cecil kept any studies they did on Mark just between himself and Mark, locked up tight in the Pentagon. The only really well known facts about Viltrumites are their strengths and the effects of the Scourge virus. Seriously, the entire Coalition of Planets resorted to biological warfare to take out these species before someone discovered a doom frequency on them. It's not an easy anatomical discovery to make. And, like I said, Robot is the ONLY one (aside from Mark, his victim) to even know about it.

17. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I believe Nova has a slight edge here.

18. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Nova's not even worth a theater.

19. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    You're right. This deserves it's own live action theatre.

Yodaminch likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I thought if there were a weakness, we'd get it in prep. Part of the charm for prep, since you get at least a sample of the weakness. Now, whether you can then do something (i.e. "Can I replicate the radiation of kryptonite?") with it, is up to the person was my understanding...

21. wolverine's dead

Apr 20, 2015
    one other thing i forgot to mention...in the secret wars comic, WITH 24 HOURS PREP, Doom made a chest plate that was able to steal THE BEYONDER's power...if he can do that, he can figure out how to take down any lesser being in the same time frame

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

That has been my understanding as well. You generally get a sample of a weakness and I believe the DNA of the opponent. What can be done though falls to the character. But that is why characters like Batman, Iron Man, Lex, Reed, Doom and Strange tend to benefit from prep because it gives them time to research and design counter measures. Now, whether that will work for Doom in this situation is another matter.

24. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    It's a small enough sample to analyze, but too small to use. Right?

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

That's always been the rule, unless it's something inherently usable for the power-set (power absorption, energy absorption / duplication, mimicry, etc.) -- and then down to the individual participant to be able to use effectively (or not).

EDIT: Also, there was a small "grey area" for substances that are lethal for the opponent in even extremely-small amounts, but that comes up extremely rarely, IIRC.